AOS28/Hinterlands: Agents of the Lector Magnifico

Ademo

I've recently been really inspired to start up a warband for AOS28/Hinterlands and even more so as a few friends have shown an interest! This topic will act as a combined narrative/fluff/painting/modelling progress log. I really wanted to play something of a papal type force that is quite clearly corrupt but holds power over the masses and warring houses of the region. So here goes:

The Background:

During the Age of Chaos, the city state of Virelli stood firm against the evil outside its walls but found itself on the brink of implosion. Power hungry nobles, bitter family rivalries, greed, lust and arrogance made Virelli a breeding ground for pleasure cults and chaos worshippers. These emerging cults grew ever bold; in some districts even practising their dark rituals openly in the streets. Salvation came in the direst hour from the holy order of Sigmar; men of purity, steel and fire. The order, which traditionally kept out of the state politics marched upon the council of nobility and forcefully demanded a directive be signed that handed immediate powers to the order’s Arch Lector.

Having assumed the title of Lector Magnifico, the city state’s new supreme leader declared martial law, unleashing bands of witch hunters and holy warriors to burn and purify all those found, or even suspected to be in league with chaos.

Now, at the dawn of the Age of Sigmar, the wider peninsula has been liberated by the stormhosts, but even after a century of aggressive witch hunts within the city state, the taint of chaos remains in the darkest corners of Virelli. The saviours have become the tyrants, as each subsequent Lector Magnifico sought to strengthen the position of the order of Sigmar under the guise of the holy mission. In truth, power has corrupted the order; any who question the Lector Magnifico’s divine authority are quickly put to the sword, tried as heretics or dispatched in the shadows

The Warband:

The warband consists of agents of the order of Sigmar, under the direct control of the Lector Magnifico as well as the odd unsavoury character who fights only for coin. Most commonly they are assigned to head off emerging chaos cults but also gather information on rival high houses of Virelli as well as the occasional bit of abducting, torturing and blackmailing.

I will use this section to introduce the characters and show individual modelling/paintingprogress

Niccolo Rikard – The Inquisitor, Daemonbane, The Absolver (Witch Hunter)

‘May the flame of the holy forge purify the souls of the corrupted.’

‘None above corruption, none beyond suspicion.’

Amongst the most seasoned of his rank, Rikard is reverently feared both within and outside of the order. The inquisitor carved out a bloody name for himself in his youth with his extreme methods of torture and almost daily witchfires; all in pursuit of the destruction of the chaos cults and glory of Sigmar. The march of time however has eroded Rikard’s youthful zeal. The horrors he has performed in Sigmar’s name replay feverishly in the little sleep he finds. With the cults seemingly in decline, Rikard increasingly finds himself ordered to settle the personal grudges of his master, murdering and making public example of those that question the Lector Magnifico. He is an aging man, shackled in service, killing for an order he silently believes is losing its way.

Isabet Viora – The High Consort, The Black Lotus, The Needle (Counts as Shadowblades Assassin)

‘Slice the tongue, silence the heretic.’

‘Ensnare the sinner with a rope of his own making.’
460c32031555af13dae87b8e94503e7e.jpg

Isabet Viora is a sanctioned agent of the order, not only is she charged with the laying bare and gelding of emergent pleasure cults of Slaanesh but also the shadowing of the high houses of Virelli. The noblewoman, the courtesan, the widow; Viora wears many faces as she gropes the tender underbelly of the cults and order’s rivals. The most trusted of his inner circle, she is the eyes, ears and subtle blade of the Lector Magnifico. No secret, no dark pact, no matter how deeply buried, is truly invisible to the high consort; her spies and informants are rooted in the darkest corners of every noble house and back alley gang in the city state. There are of course times when coercion alone is not enough to keep those that would depose the order in check; it is in those times that an unseen, unfelt nick from Viora’s blade leaves dead men walking.

More to follow

Update! Few bits arrived today so able to make a start, not on my characters but on hired scum. I think these lowlife characters will offer a great deal of contrast to the more 'holy' members of the warband.

d8536e5f46e9cada36e477da95588f9a.jpgec5496a1e17d7d66408e924996e9cc68.jpg1b463e9e07119a1a27541e22851efbe1.jpg

The greenstuff will be neatened up a bit, particularly where I reangled the foot. Also the head is subject to change and this one has just been temporarily added to give an idea of how the mini will look as a whole.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Finished up the ruffians and the captain. Here they are in greyscale. Think it works best to give a truer pic of what the mini will look like without greenstuff and bloodbowl arms drawing attention away [emoji16]311d7e3bb17debc1e62e4964de0dee74.jpg6d67d4ddbc06a83088f12ad86cfc01a8.jpg
Lastly, started work on a 'Cryptling' as I call it - imagine the AoS version of a servo skull/azrael's helmet bearer. They are the librarians of the order and hold many secrets! Think I'll make a few holding books, torches/candles etc and will just have them as non combative followers.289ad37c9ec209ed1b48f3390963eeec.jpg714ed12c7726e82e316b7c4a77e7da97.jpg

f477c238ca76ad59018d68c734a9cdef.jpg been trying my hand at some sculpting! Started Isabet Viora - her head anyway. Decided to try and go for a kind of venetian masked ball look as I imagine her to function at such high society events! Pretty pleased overall, just needs a bit of cleaning up when it's all dry.

Starting to come together a bit now! Originally she had a dagger in her 'shushing' hand but I felt it covered too much of her torso, so removed it. Not entirely sure on what to do with the other arm, perhaps have it concealing a knife behind her back? Any thoughts and suggestions most welcome! The other thing to consider is that currently the matching arm from the set is holding a chalice, which could also be cool, given that she's an agent, who often infiltrates high society parties etc... but I think I need to show some sort of weapon to convey her assassin-ness...348e6efb6236f2179c8c37c3ba552158.jpg

Some more work done on my assassin... fair bit of filling and smoothing to go, as well as adding a cloth part to cover the crotch! Thanks for suggestions made previously, really helped.8de7178bed9f2e8c4afc0e4371c0599c.jpgb4aeba694ee4aafff98c94f0fe566f9f.jpg

She is coming along very nicely.

Definitely needs a proper skirt to the dress though, everything else would not do the model and that "just scipped out of the ballroom for a quick bit of murder" style justice.

Which reminds me, I have to get back on track on my own warband, I keep commenting everyones work and have yet to show any of my own, though my only good light commiting major self-destruction does give me a bit of wiggle room, come to think of it.

Archived