Starting order, what to add after Spire of Dawn?

Saproling

I'm finally getting into AoS with Spire of Dawn (going to be ordering a copy this weekend through my LGS) and just want to ask whether it's a good idea to stick to the elf subfactions or branch out into the other ones? I've done some research and it seems that sticking to a subfaction keyword gives bonuses while taking from the alliance as a whole shores up weaknesses?

Help and advice appreciated!

The Swifthawk Agents Battalion is pretty good. You can make a solid list with only swifthawks. However, Swifthawks lack rend and mortal wound output. They can however, shoot a ton of arrows that wound on 2+. They are perhaps the fastest army in the game, and kill through death b a 1000 cuts. They are fragile though. They struggle against Slyvaneth big time. With other factions getting battletomes, the Aelf factions feel left behind, but its only a matter of time before that is corrected. 

I would suggest fleshing the Spire box out to 1000 points and learning the game with them, then make a decision to change course.

Right now the only benefit to sticking with Swifthawk Agents (the Aelf subfaction in Spire of Dawn) is the ability to count certain Swifthawk units as Battleline instead of having to use some other Order Battleline that might be worse. If you find some generic Order Battleline that you like then you would lose nothing by just adding whatever you like. High Aelf Spearmen and Reavers are both Battleline, and the box comes with a unit of Reavers, so if you you just grabbed one of those you would then be able to go with whatever you want in Order while still sticking to Aelves. In fact, it might be worth it to just grab another Spire of Dawn (giving you that extra Reaver Battleline so you could then add whatever you want) and sell the Skaven. $80 for a huge, Matched Play legal army is insanely cheap.

7 hours ago, NoTurtlesAllowed said:

I would suggest fleshing the Spire box out to 1000 points and learning the game with them, then make a decision to change course.

This is a great suggestion. All you need are 10 more Spireguard and you've got 980 points right there.

If you want to stick to Swifthawks beyond 1000 points, you'll need 2 Skywardens to get the stacked +1 to wound and lots of Reavers.

While I love Double Misfire's suggestion, my grudges have long been settled (it's still goin' in the book, Laddie). :P Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Once I've gotten the basics down and painted everything I"ll go after a skycutter or two, GW's site doesn't seem to list a skywarden anywhere. I have to say that I thought the sky chariot was ridiculous in WHFB, but suits AoS to a T.

1 hour ago, Saproling said:

While I love Double Misfire's suggestion, my grudges have long been settled (it's still goin' in the book, Laddie). :P Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Once I've gotten the basics down and painted everything I"ll go after a skycutter or two, GW's site doesn't seem to list a skywarden anywhere. I have to say that I thought the sky chariot was ridiculous in WHFB, but suits AoS to a T.

The Skywarden's an alternate build for the basic Skycutter kit. Be sure to give him a flag!

1 hour ago, Saproling said:

Alright, I'll give them a look in once I get the Spire of Dawn stuff painted up. Might hit ebay up for more sword masters and seaguard before getting the chariots.

If you're looking for more Swordmasters and Seaguard and fancy saving and/or making a bit of money you might to look at picking up a extra Spire of Dawn box and putting the skaven and elves you don't want on ebay.

One last question, I swear! How do I so a painting log here?

Easy, either hop over to the painting and modeling forum and start a new thread or head over to the blogs section of the site. I'd recommend a forum thread as it'll get much more traffic. :) 

I got two spire of dawn boxes together then added 10 more spireguard, 2 skywardens and 10 shadow warriors, cos I already had most of these models. Gonna give them a run at local tournament on weekend. This is my army minus 1 sky warden I had not finished yet.

IMG_3694.PNG

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2017 at 3:59 PM, Grixti said:

2000 points once I add in the skywarden that is incomplete. Looking forward to trying this list on weekend and see how it performs. 

Hey, sorry to resurrect an old topic but I'm working on a Swifthawk Agents list and I ran across this discussion. Would you mind posting your 2000-point army list with point values for each unit?

I compiled a list based on the items you indicate and I always go over 2000 points by a decent margin.

Thanks,

SlowMvngTarget

On 21/02/2017 at 2:18 AM, Saproling said:

Well I went and got a second SoD set, gonna try and get a game in this weekend if all goes well. Sorta decided on a scheme - the one Stahly uses from Tale of Painters. The yellow just works for some reason and is different enough from standard blue

Good call on the second box. 

Even if you never shift the skaven, it's nice to have a spare army, and you have a fantastic start to them too! 

If you are sticking with swift hawk agents, might I suggest using the battalion rules for the spire of dawn box? Great battalion! Next purchase could definitely be a sky warden (or two) 

After that when expanding the army... Honestly a third spire of dawn is a great, if boring, choice. 

... Full disclosure, over the years I may have picked up six spire of Dan boxes (back when it was island of blood) so I may be a little biased ha. 

On 27/04/2017 at 5:09 AM, SlowMvngTarget said:

Hey, sorry to resurrect an old topic but I'm working on a Swifthawk Agents list and I ran across this discussion. Would you mind posting your 2000-point army list with point values for each unit?

I compiled a list based on the items you indicate and I always go over 2000 points by a decent margin.

Thanks,

SlowMvngTarget

Hi there. Here is the list I have been running as in the picture I posted earlier in the thread. Have taken it to two tournaments and played about 10 games with it. Though planning to make some changes to the list.

IMG_3894.PNG

Archived