SCE Battalions phased out?

It seems it is because of the new alliegence abilities and prayers are going to give you similar options, please now there are as well as battalions, chambers to build as forces. So I can still see a lot of lightening strike, alpha strike abilities going on. Just in different ways. 

Those battalions probably don't work with the new mechanics Stormcast are going to get. 

8 minutes ago, Rhellion said:

Until GHB2, they still have points in the General's Handbook.

At least for Warrior Brotherhood... the army was in Grand Alliance Order so it is not in a book that has been replaced.

You know.. I wonder if that's why it's not here.  Wasn't Skyborne Slayers a web-only battalion?  Wardens of the Realmgate I'm not sure where that one came from.

I'd still suggest that points for those battalions missing is that those battalions are no longer intended for matched play.
In line with previous GW on this, the warscrolls are still available and valid, but the up-to-date matched play for them won't.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, wayniac said:

You know.. I wonder if that's why it's not here.  Wasn't Skyborne Slayers a web-only battalion?  Wardens of the Realmgate I'm not sure where that one came from.

They are both (ss and wb) in the Order GA book actually. Not in the first SE tome.

For Matched play: No they are no longer available

I'm surprised by this. I don't think it's clear yet, but it should be answered in an FAQ (unless the Battletome itself answers the question).

Not including something in a list of DoT warscrolls in the DoT book doesn't invalidate other Tzeentch things still listed in the GH or otherwise pointed . By which, I mean other units, rather than adjusted versions of old units/battalions - good examples would be the Everchosen version of the Gaunt Summoner - on a disk - (who has a separate name profile as only he can fit in the Overlords of Chaos battalion) and also the Gaunt Summoner with Chaos Familiars, who is costed at 120 rather than 100 and is found in the Silver Tower Matched Play Rules.

1 hour ago, BaldoBeardo said:

I'd still suggest that points for those battalions missing is that those battalions are no longer intended for matched play.
In line with previous GW on this, the warscrolls are still available and valid, but the up-to-date matched play for them won't.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This would not be technically true until the new GHBII drops.  The current GHB should likely stay in effect until a new GHB replaces it.  Just because profiles aren't in the current SCE tome doesn't mean they are immediately illegal.  For example, the FW exclusive Stormcast Knight-Errant isn't on that newest list and he has points and is legal in matched play.  I highly doubt their intent was to invalidate this model with this profile list.  Matched play points in the tome reflect what units and battalions are in that tome.  Nothing more.  Things will likely only cycle out when they are formally not pointed in the forthcoming update.

I agree with @Rhellion and @Thomas Lyons - Things like the Warrior Brotherhood haven't been overwritten with new scrolls as such, so still have matched play profiles IMO. Until the GH2 comes out and no longer lists these things I would suggest they are still useable. Obviously though you would still have to adhere to the updated SCE warscrolls such as the Knight Azyros.

I think they've been left out of the book because the new Battletrait for Stormcast (Scions of the Storm) is the Deepstrike ability and so the two clash when in play. Although it could be that the old battalions like WB and SS are ways for non-SCE armies to Deepstrike, for example Stormcast mixed with wider Order. Not sure if you can fit much outside a WB or SS at 2000 points though, just a quick thought after glancing through the new battletome today briefly.

2 hours ago, bottle said:

I think they've been left out of the book because the new Battletrait for Stormcast (Scions of the Storm) is the Deepstrike ability and so the two clash when in play. Although it could be that the old battalions like WB and SS are ways for non-SCE armies to Deepstrike, for example Stormcast mixed with wider Order. Not sure if you can fit much outside a WB or SS at 2000 points though, just a quick thought after glancing through the new battletome today briefly.

There's not a whole lot of wiggle room in WB if you max out the paladin units (which is usually a good idea), but SS can leave you with a fair bit if left at a minimum except Protectors usually.

As I said in the Rumour thread, but better to keep that on topic

7 minutes ago, StealthKnightSteg said:

Concerning the validation of "missing" battalion scrolls as I see it: the whole Matched play points list in the SE (new) book invalidates the whole GHB v1.0 lists of SE and SE Extremis. In my opinion any other reasoning is just rules lawyering to keep your hopes up on keeping out of balance stuff viable

Archived