"Legends of the World that was" Lore & Battleplans

KHHaunts

Im putting together a"Little" PDF supplement as a sort of memorial/celebration of the lore of the old world or the "World that was" as we now know it and the incredible history and stories that took place in the setting.

This is not meant a "pining for the old days" document as i love and play AOS way more than i used to play WHFB but instead just a reminder of the stories alot of us grew up with and an opportunity for those who maybe never knew much about the old world to read a "summarized" version of all of the olds world measure historical events.

From the coming of the old ones right through to the destruction of the old world. As well as many other stories and background information about major characters and events( such as Gotrek and Felix and Mallus Darkblade etc)

Now while you could just take a look ona wiki page im attempting to make this a really nice and well made tomb of knowledge with lots of artwork from the old books and perhaps some pics of retro minis.

Im well on my way with recording down the legends of the "World that was" and i have taken to crossing some of the terminology such as Duardin instead of Dwarves so as not to confuse those who have no knowledge of the old setting (Not that it would take a genius to figure that particular example out)

So here is my reason for the post.

Firstly . What do people think.

Secondly. As a really awesome addition to the history and to really make it worthwhile for AOS players ive decided to add atleast one battleplan for each historical event to simulate one of the major events taking place. For example i have just finished one that is based on the Old ones ordering their lesser races to purge the old world of "Anomolies" that dont fit into their great plan in the form of a Space hulk esk monster hunting jungle battleplan.

However firstly because its alot of work and secondly because i think it could be fun i thought that if i posted a list of some major battleplans id love to see (With of course other ideas being more than welcome) then perhaps the people of TGA would like to come up with and submit their own battleplans for the tomb (and be credited of course)

let me know what you think

Here a few sections so far and some possible conflicts that would make good battleplans. However those of you that know your old world history feel free to look at any of the eventsi have yet to mention for good ideas.

> Old ones arrive:

- Purge the anomolies (Done)

> Arrival of Chaos (The great catastrophe)

-???

> Doom of Grimnir

- Grimnir fighting towards the chaos polar gate (Journey through the wastes)

> Time of Aenarion

- The battle of the blighted isle (Creation of the vortex)

> The sundering

- Malekiths& Snorri's battle against chaos (and the shaggoth)

- Malekith coup (Regiments of reknown type game maybe) - Malekith fights his way to the flame of asuryan while others fight around him??

This sounds like a really cool undertaking. If I might add a couple of suggestions:

1. The background of the old world was retconned a few times over the years. The most obvious example is the Storm of Chaos, but there's also stuff like the Elven gods and the Cult of Pleasure. I'd decide on a definitive version, or else present the two as differing accounts.

2. As far as terms go, certainly drop dwarfs, elves etc, but the Ashur, Asrai, Druchii, Dawi'zhaar etc are all pretty key bits of the fluff so I'd consider leaving them in. You can always refer to them as say "the forefathers of the aelves" in the initial descriptions.

3. There was some really cool stuff in the older books like Gave Children, Centaurs, Bovigors etc. It would be cool to see them get a mention.

30 minutes ago, AGPO said:

This sounds like a really cool undertaking. If I might add a couple of suggestions:

1. The background of the old world was retconned a few times over the years. The most obvious example is the Storm of Chaos, but there's also stuff like the Elven gods and the Cult of Pleasure. I'd decide on a definitive version, or else present the two as differing accounts.

2. As far as terms go, certainly drop dwarfs, elves etc, but the Ashur, Asrai, Druchii, Dawi'zhaar etc are all pretty key bits of the fluff so I'd consider leaving them in. You can always refer to them as say "the forefathers of the aelves" in the initial descriptions.

3. There was some really cool stuff in the older books like Gave Children, Centaurs, Bovigors etc. It would be cool to see them get a mention.

Thanks for the advice. ive going for the most up to date version of the history as i know it. having read much of the lore and novels right up to the end times. So when i get round to Archaons back story it will be based on the books.  however i plan to let people proof read it before i finalize it.

As far as the terms. I have actually started doing that mainly because i got fed up with typing Duardin over and over :)

thats sounds great ill give them a lookk in

Archived