Homemade campaigns for Silver Tower?

Dawnmane

Hey, has anyone tried making up their own campaigns for Silver Tower? I used to write DnD campaigns, but there was just too much preparation work in it for someone who has two kids, one more coming up and a dissertation to write. So, I looked at the Silver Tower rulebooks and had the thought that it wouldn't be too difficult to make up a new setting, tweak the enemy rules to represent minis from other factions, and then take a couple of evenings out to write a table of new Unexpected Events with a different theme.

Has anyone tried doing that? How does it work? What settings could be fun?

I was thinking of doing a test campaign based on the aftermath of the City of Secrets book, with a bunch of Free Peoples/Devoted of Sigmar Heroes clearing out the dungeons under Excelsis looking for surviving Tzeentch cells.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a few possible approaches for this, one is to simply present a different set of cards to the standard combinations, another is to pick out a series of map tiles and write a new card for each (use playing cards and a reference table) or finally you can simply take a standard D&D map approach and build the rooms in a static order.

In terms of tweaking the challenges, there's some ideas I'm busy fleshing out such as traps, puzzles etc. One idea is to tie challenges into the keywords and an action dice, such as "An Arcane hero can attempt to dispell the illusion as a 5+ action, roll a dice, on a 1 Remove 1 counter from the tally, if there are no counters to remove it's not an illusion, 2 to 4, add 1 counter to the tally, on a 5 or 6, add 2 counters to the tally. When you have 4 or more counters, the illusion is dispelled)

Now that there is a GM, I've also wondered about using Chaos hero cards as evil mini-bosses (without Destiny Dice). One of these guys in a group could really amp up the difficulty level and make for really diverse encounters without the need for AI behaviors. We could even have portals open up ST tiles, as if Chaos victories are breaking down reality. I guess we will soon see what is possible when the game hits. Exciting times.

The new edition contains a GameMaster only booklet. Which gives you several playthroughs and helps you build your own campaigns (or so I read in a review of the box) But would definitly go for that. No need to invent a wheel that's already been invented :D 

I imagine it will be relatively simple to have a DM controlled pre-planned Silver Tower dungeon now as well.   Lots of potential for Khorne and Nurgle themed dungeons now too.  Really like that at the very least we're getting an expanded roster of adversaries, even if the included miniatures are not that diverse.  

I'm hoping we'll see value added packs. A 16 or 32 page adventure book with 2 A4 sheets of new map tiles, to accompany new army releases.

For example, revamping the Greenskinz leads to a "Lair of the Ork Lords" remake, to help encourage sales of the new miniatures.

Whilst a new box every 6 to 12 months is cool, I'd prefer supplement options that let you buy miniatures that you need.

Archived