shardsfall-banner.jpg.c3eaafa347cd52f9b7070028d54e97b1.jpg

Just thought I'd set up a page for the Shardsfall Ruleset. So you can post up warbands, let me know what you think of the rules which were very inspired the Hinterlands rules by bottle, and the Mordheim rules of old.

Im currently working on an expanded exploration chart, as well as warbands like the old Mordheim warbands (mainly due to the massive changes to Warhammer/AoS) though these may not neccessarily be needed.

Hope you all enjoy the rules, let me know if you have any suggestions! 

Useful Links

My thanks to bottle for the Shardsfall Banner :)

Edited by Grand Exemplar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If I'm being honest, this packet is overly complex.

I get that the goal is to recreate Mordheim, which I applaud in theory.  Mordheim was a fantastic game.

But the elegance of AoS lies in its simplicity.  The rules are short, sweet, and easy to remember.  I can't remember the last time I've had to reference the rule sheet during a game.  Hinterlands followed that playbook.  The changes it makes are short, simple, and easy to remember.

That feature is so incredibly important - especially in a fan supplement.  It's hard enough t o get a grouo to try an "unofficial" supplment in the first place. Indeed, I've been trying for 15 years to get my groups to try things like the Goblin Ecology lists, the War of the Beard lists - both White Dwarf addons of old - not to mention the dozen or so fan supplements I've downloaded over the years.  In all that time, the only things that they were willing to try were Warhammer Warbands amd the new Path to Glory.  I'm on the verge of them accepting Hinterlands.  But they even scoff at the notion of learning the couple front pages of that packet. 

The supplements are generally just deemed as a poor time investment - they don't want to put the time into learning a rules set that they don't view as "mainstream."  

Not unless it's simple and easy to remember without reference.

• 2 years later...

Amen. For anyone who has ever played Mordheim these rules ARE simple and easy to understand. I see exactly where Grand Exemplar is coming from and it would be cool and useful for me if I could find other Mordheim fans to try it out with...unfortunately I don't have access to any Mordheim players atm in my LGS scene. And to Criti's point, it can be hard to convince players to give something old or something homebrewed a try. That is a fact for sure. But it doesn't change that this is a great hybridization of AoS simplicity and Mordheim campaign rules (and some of the better functional rules). I find it very useful and I will tuck it away until I can find someone who is willing to experiment with me ;)

• Like 1