1k list mixed Death

Teletomas

Hi all,

I am getting ready for my local stores 1k ladder in two weeks time and am fiddling with some list building. I just came in from the cold around Christmas time after having briefly played Warhammer fantasy in the 90's. Not having to contend with Nagash's old look and all, I dove right in.

Anyways, I could use any help with list building. 1k is just a bit constrained for my wishes, as I'd love playing Arkhan, for fluffy reasons, but can't get the list working with him. He really is better with a friendly necromancer (having the 'skeleton' keyword and all), and playing a necromancer, I'd be stupid not having other buff able units, zombies, mordants, skeletons in the list. No no no, not in a 1k list.

So here's my new ideas.

A quick and killy list, with some possibilities for holding onto objectives with spirit hosts as well.

Vampire lords Death artifact Sword of Unholy Power is for summoning a deep Morghast harbingers team in first turn. Spirit host for holding objectives as well as dishing out some mortal wounds. Blood Knights for bringing on the pain. Zombies for rambling around looking silly - and battleline.

Here's the list. Please tell me if I am making some godly mistake here.... List could also include 10 x dire wolves instead of blood knights

Allegiance: Death

Leaders
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Sword of Unholy Power

Battleline
10 x Zombies (60)
10 x Zombies (60)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (240)
-  Deathlords Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
-  Nighthaunt Battleline
5 x Blood Knights (260)
-  Soulblight Battleline

Units

Total: 1000/2000

Or maybe something like this to give the zombies more of a reason for being there, as well as having some cheap harassing dire wolves:

Allegiance: Death

Leaders
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Sword of Unholy Power

Battleline
30 x Zombies (180)
10 x Zombies (60)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (240)
-  Deathlords Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
-  Nighthaunt Battleline

Units
10 x Dire Wolves (120)

Total: 980/2000

Could also chuck the dire wolves and extra zombies and gun for an extra pair of morghasts. Even though I think that would be not so good an idea...

Anyways, what do you think?

You don't have to put the Morghasts in your list if you're summoning them, you just leave points aside in a Summoning Pool to draw from. Gives you much more versatility.

Additionally, using the Morghasts as a slingshot turn one may result in them being focused-on and brutalised by the enemy army before the rest of your very slow army manages to catch up, especially as they'll be out of Deathless range, have no Mortal Wound Save, and only a 4+ Save on 12 Wounds. Your opponent would also be able to screen their important models against this kind of charge as well anyway, and even with 3D6 there's a chance a failed Charge roll is going to leave them high-and-dry.

Generally I find Death work best in concert. Pin stuff down with the chaff, hit the juiciest targets with your heavy hitters. You're going to have trouble against hard targets with this list, and it's very thin on the ground for capping objectives.

Also make the Dire Wolves 2x5. They're cheap outriders, and a 60pt squad is just rubbish enough to avoid serious attention while still capable of harassing flanks and contesting objectives. Two squads lets you spread them out, and you also gain an extra Attack overall from an additional squad leader.

1 hour ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

You don't have to put the Morghasts in your list if you're summoning them, you just leave points aside in a Summoning Pool to draw from. Gives you much more versatility.

Additionally, using the Morghasts as a slingshot turn one may result in them being focused-on and brutalised by the enemy army before the rest of your very slow army manages to catch up, especially as they'll be out of Deathless range, have no Mortal Wound Save, and only a 4+ Save on 12 Wounds. Your opponent would also be able to screen their important models against this kind of charge as well anyway, and even with 3D6 there's a chance a failed Charge roll is going to leave them high-and-dry.

Generally I find Death work best in concert. Pin stuff down with the chaff, hit the juiciest targets with your heavy hitters. You're going to have trouble against hard targets with this list, and it's very thin on the ground for capping objectives.

Also make the Dire Wolves 2x5. They're cheap outriders, and a 60pt squad is just rubbish enough to avoid serious attention while still capable of harassing flanks and contesting objectives. Two squads lets you spread them out, and you also gain an extra Attack overall from an additional squad leader.

Ah, thanks, great feedback.

Off course, you're right, harbingers would get all the attention also being all alone in front. Good advice on summoning pool. Thanks.

Maybe go with achai instead? I think I stuck with the harbingers summoning idea, because I originally looked at an Arkhan based list, and summoning is a big thing with him. But without him, maybe theres no need for them either.

So, if not morghast, what would be your suggestion for something against harder units? 

Objectives and feet on ground, I could also run a bigger zombie squad. 

I have loads of skellies, zombies as well as the corpse cart here, so I have options for any of those.. I have a wight king and a necromancer. Built some crypt horrors right when I started painting death. Unbuilt morghasts. And a magnetized mortarch (which I'm thinking might be too much for a 1k list). I have the spirit hosts, and 10 unbuilt hex wraiths/black knights.

No blood knights (dragon knights) or dire wolves yet.

So any suggestion, I'd take them!

Thanks Coffee Grunt.

There's a good case for Archai in your list, they're heavy hitters that can rough up most things, and with +1 Attack from the Vampire Lord they become ferocious.

I've seen a lot of players in their first games do the whole, "throw this tough unit forward and smash." It rarely works as planned, and without the Harbingers your list might really struggle to put damage down on things with solid armour. I find that sort of unit works best supporting the infantry.

Also worth noting that you'll want to be careful with investing so much summoning in one Hero as well. One good cannon or volley from Kurnoth Hunters or the like in the first turn, and he'll be dead along with the 240pt unit you now can't summon.

The Harbinger trick works much better in larger games where it isn't as large a risk if they're lost. I'd definitely pop it on the backburner until you hit 1500/2000, and try Archai for the interim.

Archived