Prosecutor Wing: Help required

Paul_Veyne

I have been having real problems getting the prosecutor wings to look half decent in a short amount of time. I have been following Duncan's video but haven't been able to get similar results in an acceptable amount of time.

Firstly you have to paint four sides. Secondly I have been painting white over grey which has required more than several thin coats. And finally white over grey can look really messy unless you are have a very steady hand and a lot of patients.

I would really appreciate and ideas or suggestions that would allow me to achieve a better result but not take the year.

Cheers

Chris

1486669541609-839358700.jpg

I haven't seen the tutorial so don't know exact colours use but a layer of ulthuan grey (almost white) before the pure white might reduce the number of layers needed. It also gives you the option to use the white as an edge highlight to the ulthuan grey rather than trying to cover a large area in white but still gives the overall appearance of white - if that makes sense?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I primed mine white, then painted the shadows between the spikes. I used Fenresian Grey and Drakenhof Nightshade, focusing the blues near the tops. The spikes themselves were painted with Ulthuan Grey and highlighted with white. They took forever. 

I think Prosecutor wings should come with a warning that says "Abandon all hope, ye who paint these."

The key is to be as neat as possible when adding your shadows. Unfortunately I was not when I added my first shadow and it cost me a bunch of time later trying to tidy it up.

prosecutor3.jpg.1df326c98994e0099bbb086862daf6c2.jpg

prosecutor2.jpg.a7990d3f2077d2fdad46c92f1e841f9a.jpg

Some great looking Prosecutor wings here.

I know it's a bit late but if I was trying to do them fast I'd leave them off the model, prime with Corax white, then ghetto airbrush (spray can) on either Mechanicus Standard Grey or The Fang or suitable army painter equivalent grey.  Applying the spray graually to the top side near the metal work, but not spray directly on the model, to create a gradient effect from dark to light going down the "feathers".  Then shade them all over with with one of the bluey shades mixed with quite a lot of Lahmian medium, propping them up with the feathers sticking up while they dry so the shade settles more towards the metal parts.  Lastly drybrush the wing tips back up to white, paint the metal and they're done.

Thanks @Mengel Miniatures, you have done a brilliant job! You must have the patience of a saint.

That's a great idea @cb_rex. I'm hoping to never to have to paint another set of wings in my life .... however I have added that to my notebook to try should I have to do another unit.

All these new sculpts are amazing compared to the lead miniatures I started out with. It is truly amazing what they can achieve now. I don't think I would have ever had this problem back in the day. *Gets back into armchair, smokes pipe*

Archived