A force of nature - Bonesplitters

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20655_zpsnfupjlxj.j

Well, well....looks like I´ve finally found my englishspeaking corner in the vast space of the internet. As the german community is rather conservative about the Age of Sigmar, even after a little more than a year, I decided to try and set a parallel foot here. I am an incredibly slow painter and a person that enjoys a story rather than a competitive match, so I`ll try to build up my small force of Bonesplitters narratively, probably throughout a small campaign.

Now if people ask themselves "Why bonesplitters?", well, there is no special reason to it. I just like painting orcs and some yellow stuff. It is quite nice, as you paint a similiar model most of the time, so you can get some experience with that particular type. Then again, it does always differ a bit, as there is no need to keep a uniform look, and it`s always possible to try out some new colors. All in all, bonesplitters are a nice choice for beginners, paint- and playwise.

The story so far:

...is yet to emerge.

And finally I`ll put it some Trogoths. I simply like the plastik kit of the swampies. Even thou Bonesplitters are rather nomadic, I imagine the tribe to occasionally return to a river, where they have a village and where there is drinkable water and some fishes, when monsters aren`t around.

How the Trogoths fit? Well, I guess, they are rather believed to be part of the tribe and not really monsters. I would ask the tribe, but the last guy who did that, got an arrow to the knee ;)

Well, I have no clue why I cannot edit my posts, but as soon as I find out, I´ll edit the updated pictures into the first page posts. Now, for the last couple of days I`ve been painting once or twice and am about to finish my first testmodel of a Bonesplitter. I usually start with the eyes, as I feel they are to fidly to paint them afterwards, followed by the skin, as most details tend to overlap the skin on top of it.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20638_zpstcih7mbw.j

Playing around with warpaint and glyphes was particulary fun. The huge neckmuscles of a savage orruk are simply inviting to paint something on it. In this case I decided to go with the "Gronk"-glyphe, a symbol standing for "kill", "die" or "stupid", indicating that dying simply isn`t smart ;)

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20639_zpsnrat2tdj.j

I`m not sure if all the guys of the unit will get the same glyph, but I think the weapons will make them recognizeable as an own mob. If the army grows beyond three or four packs of Bonesplitters on foot, then I might think to give more of the same type of glyph, especially when I want to have more smaller mobs.

A piece of terrain, that has been lying around my hobbystuff for quite a wall, was this totem pillar. I still haven`t decided for a name for the tribe, but with the fist atop I might find a proper punchline for them. As the fist will be painted yellow, I sprayed the top part in white, to make the color easy to apply.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20637_zpseifmnrrv.j

@Lysandestolpe and @TheWilddog I actually intend to paint up around 50 miniatures in total. I found AoS to be most enjoyable with two to four units, including monsterstuffy, and a couple of characters. The size of a warband makes the game quicker and I can enjoy more matches, or play a small story in one night.

Of course the bigger armies are just as attractive at some point, but for me it was the reason to get our of Warhammer Fantasy Battles. To many miniatures and to lengthy. I prefer smaller games with a stronger narrative note, focusing on a couple of individuals.

But who knows, I am enjoying myself painting orcs/orruks quite a lot. I also never feel to be bored by green, as I break up the look with many other colors and the Bonesplitters offer themselves to that method. this fella for example. I`ve painted the scales and hide around it in Seraphon colors.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20640_zpsfxaxgewm.j

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20641_zpsa0axuc53.j

I`m not sure if that actually works, I picked up something like Seraphon vanish to dust when they`re slayn. But anyway, I like the look, so I`ll try to bring it in here and there and I am sure, they aren`t the only bluescaled lizards in the universe ;) Other than that I continued with the leatherstraps. Stayed classic on those, but probably will vary with different browns around the army.

Up next are the two big scales the fella is waering, which I`ll try to paint in a warm red.

well man! I can't tell you you're wrong because you're actually right. 1000pts-1500pts is my preference. Over that it gets to lengthy. I do however enjoy a lot of models whenever those armies show up. But I enjoy well painted armies, like yours, much more.

Myself, I play Ironjawz and Ogres for a reason ^^

Allright, the first guy is done. As I said, I`m not really in a hurry and painting up an orruk here and there is kind of joyful. I did learn a lot on this model thou. Painting wood is easier than painting bones, if the pieces are too big.

I wasn`t really happy with the bonescythe he wield in his right hand. The wrappings and the leatherstring do look a bit dull, so I`ll try a different approach on the next mini. What helped, was to add some more warpaint onto it. Made everything look a bit more "a part of this guy".

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20643_zpsnlbqmb2c.j

Stone looks cooler when there is some "dirt" applied. Not losing the comiclook here, but it gave it a more believable feling overall. I`m curious thou, how more models will look right next to each other, as I feel that the first mini turned out to be a bit overly colorful. On the other hand it seems to fit the Bonesplitters.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20644_zpsjk14abxd.j

So...I´m undecided. Go with the Savage Orruk Warboss next or another boy? Hm....probably the boy. I want to feel really safe when I paint up the big fella.

Just wanted to thank you for sharing this with us. 

I've just recently picked up and started to build up a small Bonesplitterz force, i'm a little hesitent on putting paint to models because i get nervous. But i enjoy seeing what a fully painted bonesplitter looks like and it might just have given me the nudge to keep pressing on with the project of mine. 

@Routasydän I actually try to mimic the ´Eavy Metal style, as I feel that is, how we get to know all the stuff and why we like it. So it`s all real hard accents, just not as precise and sophisticated as the ´Eavy team does it. But I`m working on it.

@SolarBur there is nothing to be nervous about. While I painted this guy, there were multiple moments when I thought "Man, that looks crappy", but you always need to finish the model. In the end you`ll like it and if not...you can always start from the beginning. With time, every brushstroke will be come more controlled. Just stay relaxed and all pieces will come together.

Simply amazing.

Can I ask you some questions - as I'm slowly starting Bonesplitterz myself? How many skin layers are there? I can recognize at least 4, but it's so smooth in some places I'm not sure. The same about the tattoos. Just 2 thin layers of colour with double highlights? Do you use wet palette for mixing paints? And the final one, just out of being curious - how much time did you spend on that model?

Thanks in advance.

@Cookiez I`m a family man with an IT consultancy job, so I travel a lot. Therefore I do not really measure how long I need for a miniature. I really paint only occasionally for a couple of hours. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It`s usually at night, when the ladies are asleep and even the cat is too overfed to jump onto the table ;)

Generally I paint "in episodes" as I feel it is to tiring to paint the whole mini at once. I usually prime the mini with black and white and afterwards I thin down black and paint up all the spots that are hard to reach. It gives you the advantage of knowing the mini when you start with the real thing.

The skin has a basecolor of Sick Green, which looks like the old Snotling Green. Afterwards strongly thinned down Dark Angels Green is painted directly into the recesses. That has the advantag of being slightly transparent and you can go through the same recess again, if you want to give it more depth. Afterwards I layered a 50/50 mix of Sick Green and Goblin Green, followed by pure Goblin Green. For the final highlights I usually just add White in two or three steps, being more punctual each time.

Yellow works with a similiar method: Vomit Brown is the base color, shades ar Vermin Brown with Lahmian Medium (somwhere about 3:1 in the mix). Afterwards thinned down Bubonic Brown is painted onto the higher spots of the miniature. The next step is a mix of Bubonic Brown and Averland Sunset (3:1 again). The last step is two edge highlights of Bleached Bone and finally finished up with pure Skull White.

In general it just helps to thin down your paints and rather paint two thin layers of a color than a thick one :)

It`s been a while and I`ve been painting Blood Bowl stuff mostly, but just recently I`ve started to take a look at my Bonesplitters again. Some days ago I started to continue painting on the guy called "Toof" (he has a lot of toothy stuff dangling on him) and I thought I`d share the progress picture to point out, that it`s just a process of building up color layer by layer, and that it doesen`t look to fancy on the way there. The trick is...

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20659_zpsufesgbb3.j

...to stay on the job and finish the mini. Most of the time it`ll turn out really neatly. And don`t stress yourself while painting. Your life doesen`t depend on the paintjob ;) Aside of that be brave and try out some techniques. Not only will your effort show on the mini, but it will be quite an atmospheredriver on the battlefield.

The musician won`t be part of that troop, but I`ll add four more Arrerboys. With that I should be ready for some Hinterlands action.

Dinos%20Tabletopblog%20660_zpsb4pmbgm5.j

Lovely Bonesplitter - colours are nice and smooth!

Only suggestion for the first one is to replace the red with blue or another colour you've already used. It's quite busy colour-wise already with the green, yellow, blue and brown.

Still, I look forward to seeing how this project progresses! :)

Archived