Is it worth starting 'dark' aelves?

Nasnad

Thinking of starting a mixed dark aelves army. But it is worth starting a mixed army, or it is better to focus on a single subfaction?

If so, how would you start? What to use, and what not to use

Also been thinking of converting a lot, so I can use more stuff from the grand alliance, like converted battlemages.

As a Dark Aelf player. I have been sitting on my models and trying to find a small maybe 1000 pt army to start while I wait. Or if you're into 40 building a kill team troop to a good level will cover some of that time.

I was hoping they would reuse a lot of the existing dark elves miniatures, as they did with the beastclaw raiders and bonesplitters,  maybe even combine same of the elves, like they did with tzeentch. 

Have there been any fluff on any of the Aelves?

There is lore in the Dawnspire box.  It talks about how the Dawnspire is on the edge of Aelven civilization in the realm of light.  It goes on for about 2 paragraphs giving some of the background. 

Unless they plan on destroying that new fluff then it sounds like in the realm of light there is some aelves.

The dark elf range is very new and high quality.  You are safe with models that are not compendium.  I've had multiple GW stores near me declare that all the models that survived the great purge will be around for a while.  I find it believable that this would have come down from corporate or there would be a lot of customers like you wondering whether to jump in with a faction that has not been updated.

If I were start, I would use the Darkling Covens as my core force and focus, and then grab pieces of the other factions that I wanted to support the Coven.  I've considered this myself several times.

5 hours ago, Aezeal said:

new releases of the shadow realm aelves (well I guess that is what they will be) seem to have a quite difference aesthetic (if silver tower is an indication).

the new aesthetic looks identical to the witch elf design to me. Can you tell the difference?

13 hours ago, Nasnad said:

Thinking of starting a mixed dark aelves army. But it is worth starting a mixed army, or it is better to focus on a single subfaction?

If so, how would you start? What to use, and what not to use

Also been thinking of converting a lot, so I can use more stuff from the grand alliance, like converted battlemages.

Do it!

Your best thing to do is pick a warscroll battalion with a theme that you love and build it! The two in the back of the dark elves compendium are both good, probably better than anything released for them since then.

spot the new aesthetic.JPG

I love the Dark Aelf models, so for me it was worth it. I've mixed factions, with some darkling coven, order serpentis,shadowblades, and discontinued stuff making up the bulk of my force. I've had varying degrees of success, but then again, I take stuff sometimes just cuz it looks cool (for example dark riders.) I don't think they are the most competitive army, but if you like the way they look, I would say go for it.

My GF and I started 1000 point armies together for an event.  Hers is Daughters of Khaine. We plan on having lots of fun and then seeing how they can be added to a larger force once aelfs get properly reintroduced.

I think you are safe to play with newer models, but here's the thing-

I would bet you will see a price reduction in the older kits, even if only as part of bundles/starter boxes. If that matters to you, wait.

I play my Dark Aelves every now in then (mostly darkling covens), and they do pretty well if you know how to pick your battles. Without a Battletome, they're definitely a finesse army (if you're keeping the Druchii theme pure). However, there are some solid units and combos that can really shine, especially in Narrative Mission play.

With that being said, while they can stand toe-to-toe with some of the new battletome armies, they become quickly overshadowed when your opponent starts running battalions with heavy synergy. The hill definitely becomes steeper. 

While I would LOVE to see a Daughters of Khaine book first, the Darkling Covens model line is a bit more fleshed out, therefore I would put my money on a Covens Battletome first.

tl:dr - They aren't the worst tome-less army, but their initial strengths have been overshadowed by codex creep. 

I haven't played dark elves but I think they are still very viable. Having battle line shooting units is real good and executioners are just plain beasts. The hydra is very good also. Lords on dragons and their cheap sorceress are all viable in competitive play.

I have been considering using them as a back up army as I think they can do real well even within the current meta.

I haven't made a list yet but I do have one in mind which is fast + shooty + monster fun :)  

3 hours ago, Couchatron said:

With that being said, while they can stand toe-to-toe with some of the new battletome armies, they become quickly overshadowed when your opponent starts running battalions with heavy synergy. The hill definitely becomes steeper. 

Very true but for me all battles have felt like a fun challenge. 

Archived