Sneak Peek at The Generals Handbook II....

Gaz Taylor

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Oh Wargamers + the Internet, how I love you. :x

First Fyreslayers are overpriced in points. Now that's fixed, they're overpriced in £££!!

Literally no pleasing some people eh? ¬¬

Dont forget that if they lower the price of the models they are still overpriced in orange mohawk paint.

2 hours ago, ZaelART said:

Will we ever see the return of paying points for models instead of units?

I doubt it, which is sad.  I like the simplicity of buying units in blocks, but it makes hitting a point limit hard as hell and frustrating because it's very easy to go over, and then you have to either drop a unit down a chunk (e.g. take 3 instead of 6, a 50% decrease) or lose an entire character (devastating for synergy armies that rely on heroes).  It's super frustrating to add things and be like 2060 points, and know that there's no way to actually get closer to 2000 without being like 1940 points and cutting a unit in half.

I still like that part, I wouldn't want to see a return to buying individual models. I can pretty much do all the math in my head at the table for an army list, where as before it could take someone an hour to get ready for a pickup game.

I also love the challenge in list building in general, it's no different than individually costed. You're still trying to find a way to maximize your points.

I get that, my problem is when you are over the points (shock!  horror!!) and have to drop half of an entire unit or an entire character just to make points meet, whereas before yo u could field 8 instead of 10 or 5 instead of 6 etc.  I find it frustrating.

8 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I get that, my problem is when you are over the points (shock!  horror!!) and have to drop half of an entire unit or an entire character just to make points meet, whereas before yo u could field 8 instead of 10 or 5 instead of 6 etc.  I find it frustrating.

Difficult choices are not bad choices.  

I far prefer the unit system as it prevents min-maxing extremes. 

11 hours ago, Thostos said:

I wouldnt say they are "weak"..I would say more "middling" in terms of army power.They suffer from somewhat expensive hero and battalion costs.Mainly though they are void of many of the new army specific spell charts and could probably use more battalions,especially more of the multi-battalions and  their features.

Ive been playing them since last fall and do pretty well against other mid tier armies,,I do struggle with top tier builds like SCE lighting strike and Mortal wound and full ranged armies.Using a sideboard does help some though:)

Oops this belongs in the Generals Handbook 2 Feedback thread.  I won't derail this one any further.  My mistake!

On 09/02/2017 at 2:30 PM, CoffeeGrunt said:

It still doesn't negate the fundamentals of your chosen faction, though. Bloodbound, for example, have minimal to no ranged ability. It's a limitation you can't overcome unless you go outside the faction, because it's a deliberate limitation. That's my point.

So you can adapt tactics to a degree, but there are limitations in place. For example, my ranged abilities are worthless against high Bravery Heroes, which most tend to be, so I can't even use the ol' Banshee Summoning Slingshot trick. That also relies on rolls far more than any strategy.

Just wanted to say that I completely agree with this.  Bloodbound have numerous synergies built around the Khorne keyword, so if you're having to dip into other GA Chaos factions to add in a required element (such as ranged ability), you're reducing the benefit of those synergies (which have likely been included in the points cost).  I could choose to play a less themed army, but I'd rather have the main protagonist factions rounded out a little more (I think Stormcast and Tzeentch are already there ;)).

---

I'm personally really looking forward to the new Generals Handbook and the direction Battletomes are being taken in.  I don't think we're going to see a massive change in some of the specific items being raised because a lot of the items pertain to warscrolls or the main rules rather than items brought in for the Handbook - but I could be wrong!  The sneak peak does seem to level out two of the most mentioned factions so it's very promising!

7 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Oh Wargamers + the Internet, how I love you. :x

First Fyreslayers are overpriced in points. Now that's fixed, they're overpriced in £££!!

Literally no pleasing some people eh? ¬¬

I've always disliked treating groups of individuals as if they had a hive mind. 

Some individuals complained about the points. 

Some individuals  complained about the prices.

There is no "thing" called Wargamers that can voice a single view. Individuals may have complained about one and not the other.

Just saying. 

19 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

There is no "thing" called Wargamers that can voice a single view. Individuals may have complained about one and not the other.

Just saying. 

I don't think Chris was being all that serious.

14 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Just saying. 

Oh dear. 9_9

Archived