Sneak Peek at The Generals Handbook II....

Gaz Taylor

1 minute ago, Terry Pike said:

Out of context these points do look high, but then we have no idea what the rest of the points will look like. Maybe all armies are being decreased in size?

This is the only way I can make sense of some of these increases.  But if that is the case, then Fyreslayers are VERY aggressively pointed with all of their solo heroes at 80 points.  

What we may be seeing is an across the board increase of Compendium scroll prices as a way to phase these models out.  If so, this is bad design and a great way to offend your player base (as all armies will some day be compendium armies, and with rolling updates, will eventually be priced out of competitive play).  

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

What we may be seeing is an across the board increase of Compendium scroll prices as a way to phase these models out.  If so, this is bad design and a great way to offend your player base (as all armies will some day be compendium armies, and with rolling updates, will eventually be priced out of competitive play).  

I see this as a good thing though. It will take years for something to be phased out at this rate, keeping the game current/modern at all times and allowing people to get years of play out of each army. Who knows, maybe TKs are being remade under some new IP style.

Let's not make this into a Compendium argument, because those never go anywhere and each tribe pretty much keeps harping on the same things.

43 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

the guys running it have done so for years, using rule packs of their own for years, played at high competitive levels for years, ran the largest tournament for years helped create the generals handbook and this one. 

Yeah I doubt they've been running Age of Sigmar tournaments for years, more like six months. Also Appealing to Authority is a logical fallacy, because someone having a great resume doesn't mean their word is law.

Just now, CoffeeGrunt said:

Yeah I doubt they've been running Age of Sigmar tournaments for years,

Their combined running of and attending of tournaments cannot be ignored, they have a solid mix of interests in the game at all levels and know how to run easily one of the best events of the year. Put your faith in them to make an awesome tournament pack, if its not for you, then you don't have to attend the event.

3 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Let's not make this into a Compendium argument, because those never go anywhere and each tribe pretty much keeps harping on the same things.

Yeah I doubt they've been running Age of Sigmar tournaments for years, more like six months. Also Appealing to Authority is a logical fallacy, because someone having a great resume doesn't mean their word is law.

every year since release of aos.

made their own comp pack before the generals handbook, an they literally worked on the generals handbook. so again i think they understand and are in a better position than most.

while not law, there is certainly solid reasoning behind it which is highly likely to be better for the game, not the person. 

18 minutes ago, Terry Pike said:

Where are people seeing TK are no longer Compendium? They have just grouped together some rules on a page titled experimental and bunched them together under 2 alliances making it an easier read and less titles.

Until the GHB2 is released we won't know whether Compendium is gone, renamed, etc

No solid evidence either way, unless you have insider info - which in fairness I expect you very possibly do! 

Kraggi 100 points WTF? this has got to be a joke no one in their right mind would ever use this model at 100 points... Any ways nice to see the fryerslayers are getting some love gonna see a horde army of them... Must wait for new dwarfs.... 

12 minutes ago, Terry Pike said:

I see this as a good thing though. It will take years for something to be phased out at this rate, keeping the game current/modern at all times and allowing people to get years of play out of each army. Who knows, maybe TKs are being remade under some new IP style.

Maybe, or maybe smaller factions like Scourge Privateers get discontinued this year because models aren't selling so their GHB prices get increase 20-50% (like Tomb Kings) next year in GHB 3.  This is the effect of this type of decision.

Only time will tell to see if GW is universally increasing compendium scroll costs.  If so, this is bad for the player base.

3 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Krell had an extra attack on his compendium warscroll.

Krell! 

FVx4UIb.jpg

So flat!!!!! 

Yeah he did and a slightly better save, being resurrected for the umpteenth time has obviously had a negative effect on his constitution. He's not the only one to get a few changes when the Grand Alliance books dropped. 

14 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

every year since release of aos.

made their own comp pack before the generals handbook, an they literally worked on the generals handbook. so again i think they understand and are in a better position than most.

while not law, there is certainly solid reasoning behind it which is highly likely to be better for the game, not the person. 

Just playing devil's advocate here, but it's possible to construct a reasoned argument for two completely opposing viewpoints. Just because TO's come down on a particular side doesn't mean that people should blindly hand them the power to be gatekeepers for the entire community. Standards and mindsets that become entrenched at tournament level have a habit of seeping through into casual play.

EDIT: Not intending to criticise TO's here as such, more the herd mentality that affords undue weight to their decisions (as I see it).

1 minute ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Since they have withheld the points for the new Tzeentch units from the app even if you do own the GHB, I would assume that it will be a paid update.

Yeah your probably right sad days for my wallet :( there better be some real changes in the book though would be kinda dumb to buy the GHB2 with only point changes and nothing else... which actually gives me hope it may be a free download or if for example you already have the GHB1 you pay like 2 bucks to get the update like buying battle tombs... crossing my fingers.

13 minutes ago, Terry Pike said:

Their combined running of and attending of tournaments cannot be ignored, they have a solid mix of interests in the game at all levels and know how to run easily one of the best events of the year. Put your faith in them to make an awesome tournament pack, if its not for you, then you don't have to attend the event.

I dunno if I'd take Serena Williams' or Louis Hamilton's opinions on who'll win the Barclays Premier League this year to have any higher value than a layman or pundit, despite them being experts in another competitive sport for many years.

By the same token, they might have attended a lot of tournaments, which would possibly make them very good at organising tournaments, but not necessarily good at designing games.

10 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

True, but a lot of very incorrect things have solid reasoning behind them. Ever read about woo medicine? Some fantastic reasoning behind a lot of it, but it's all still rubbish.

13 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

No solid evidence either way, unless you have insider info - which in fairness I expect you very possibly do! 

The compendium stuff is to let you play with your old models. I'm still expecting it to be compendium and not move sections ;) 

7 minutes ago, Bimli said:

So if you have the generals hand book app does anyone know if it will a free update or pay for GHB2?

Paid for. Why should it be a free update when anybody who wants a new book has to pay? ;) 

12 minutes ago, Bimli said:

Kraggi 100 points WTF? this has got to be a joke no one in their right mind would ever use this model at 100 points... 

At a guess because he can unbind spells, he was a steal at 20 points so brought more in line with other characters! Also because he can enhance, Thorek Im guessing this is why they settled on 100 points.

6 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but it's possible to construct a reasoned argument for two completely opposing viewpoints. Just because TO's come down on a particular side doesn't mean that people should blindly hand them the power to be gatekeepers for the entire community. Standards and mindsets that become entrenched at tournament level have a habit of seeping through into casual play.

Personally, TO's can do what they want. They are organising a tournament, it's up to you if you want to go ;) 

2 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I dunno if I'd take Serena Williams' or Louis Hamilton's opinions on who'll win the Barclays Premier League this year to have any higher value than a layman or pundit, despite them being experts in another competitive sport for many years.

By the same token, they might have attended a lot of tournaments, which would possibly make them very good at organising tournaments, but not necessarily good at designing games.

True, but a lot of very incorrect things have solid reasoning behind them. Ever read about woo medicine? Some fantastic reasoning behind a lot of it, but it's all still rubbish.

so, if not part of the team who helped write the rules for matched play along with various other people who also helped, agreeing with them to ban it do you say is in the right place to decide what is and isn't allowed in a matched play setting? 

just as they didnt write the initial game doesnt mean they arent in a good position to judge how it should move forward, did the people currently in charge of fifa write the rules to football? no, but they still adjust the rules, same with the LTA, they adjust the rules, ban certain things allow others, they never made the game but are in a place to decide what is and what isnt allowed.

while the TO's who banned compendium stuff didn't write AoS, the majority of them did write the rules for matched play, which is what they are playing. 

1 minute ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Hang on Fyreslayers were overcosted and some Tomb Kings were undercosted (they haven't changed all of there costs judging by the example) I don't see how this adds up to some nefarious plot.  

Its all speculation and fearmongering!

1 minute ago, Gaz Taylor said:

At a guess because he can unbind spells, he was a steal at 20 points so brought more in line with other characters! Also because he can enhance, Thorek Im guessing this is why they settled on 100 points.

So can a dispossessed Runelord, but his is at a +2 and he has almost double the number of wounds, quadruple the movement, and can strike his own runes....and is 20 points cheaper.  This new point cost is utterly indefensible given his stat line.  This is bonkers.  

Archived