AOS an almost 1 year review + looking forward

So lts been almost a year now since AOS came out and I thought that I would give my thoughts and opinions of the game we've come to know, especially with the impending release of the generals handbook. So traveling back in time last year when AOS came out I went into the game with an open mind, my initial impressions of the game were that it was simple but enjoyable something that I could see myself playing at my local club in a more casual way. Which especially in my area people did not like the whole idea of just play casual and for fun take whatever you liked mentality was alien to most which was understandable, but I loved the fact there was no points to start of with it meant that I could go to my local club with the AOS starter set and still play games, I didn't have to spend £300 on an army to play a game; plus when points arnt involved you can argue that everything is worth taking its just a matter of how much you take or how big the unit is. Now I loved and still do and it might be the best thing about AOS imo but the fact that you can play a game with whatever size force you want is fantastic, I recently picked up some of the oruuk new releases and with the exception of a giant I feel like the project is done and im planning on doing a small death army for the Deadwalkers throne of skulls in july, but like everyone else my AOS funds are finite and back in 8th edition I woukldnt have dreamed of doing 2 projects soooo close together but now I can!. So the rules,when AOS released I looked at the 4 pages of rules and thought wow that's not a lot but as time has gone on I feel like its the right amount for casual play, no more spending 5 mins looking for a rule and much more importantly I haven't had a rules argument with any of my opponants in over a year; and ive found that a lot of the complexity in terms of rules comes from the warscrolls and the synergies that come from particular combinations, don't get me wrong the game still has a lot of tactics but the game isn't too complex to play.

Now most of my games have been casual games with no points or pool choices being used, mostly for games workshop events now don't get me wrong I have used mo comp and pool choices having played at the SCGT (#onlythefaithful) and they do help balance the games to a certain extent and if you enjoy organised play I whole heartedly recommend checking them out especially the scgt on warscroll builder or on heelanhammers website, now my experiences have been very positive apart from one game where my opponent took 27 flamers .... I cannot remember having a bad game, having been to 4 games workshop events and the SCGT not to mention all my pick up games that's amazing. Now regardless of whether you prefer organised events like tournaments or more casual games AOS caters for both and I like that, I like having options on how I want to play the game.

Now going forward with the announcement of the generals handbook and the 3 ways to play I find myself once again being super excited for the hobby, I love the fact they are keeping casual play and I am optimistic about the narrative play (as long as it is sort of like the path to glory open narrative gameplay), the organised play i.e. points doesn't fuss me I will try it out but the fact that now if I don't like it I don't have to use points excites me even more. I still have the option to do small warbands/projects if I want to but use 1 army to play organised if needs be which I like, I like having options whereas in the past I would do the same army for 4 months, so I'm looking at the generals handbook the same way I did with AOS originally by keeping an open mind; and I'm not going to lie I do miss points.

So what are your thoughts what do you like about AOS, what do you think needs changing and how do you feel about the generals handbook ?

I'm obviously super excited about the generals handbook but also about the whole game. 

The fyreslayers release really showed how cool it's going to be moving forwards. 

That seemed to me to be a small faction built around a single really cool model idea, lots more of that would bad dice great! 

I really like the direction GW have gone with AoS. The smaller skirmish game makes it much easier to get into, I've still spent a fortune on armies but built them up quickly, getting a starting force in the table within a month and then adding to it when I fancy. I've built 4 gaming ready forces already and have 2 more in progress plus I'm very keen on the new ironjawz.

If they were to change anything in AoS it would be the rulebook, I'd like them to move to a more living rulebook, keep some basic design principles (under 10 pages, clear and simple etc) but update it more regularly including clarifications such as the ones done in the FAQ. Strip out the basic scenario and set up rules along with the triumphs, add in a few diagrams to cover movement/los/piling in etc 

Some tokens and a slightly more reasonable price structure would be nice too. I'm often in my local GW for a pot of paint or two and I'm likely to be happy to pick up another hero figure if they were still priced around the £10 mark as a lot of the old whfb heroes are. It's a good price point for an easy add on sale. 

I can't see them changing the AoS core rules (much) or even creating a living rulebook. I think the intention is to use the General's Handbook like this as it will have the different ways of playing. So new people or players not interested in points or narrative play, can just play the game ;)

I think the future for AoS is bright. It'll be a slog, no doubt, but recent events show that things have turned a corner. A lot of the complainers have left/stopped (except on the toxic forums). Feeling towards AoS in general is much more ambivalent than they were just 6 months ago. People see that we're having fun, getting cool models and doing awesome events.

If rumours about new price structures are true,  I think the game may truly grow. The Start Collecting! boxes were an excellent start. But new intro sets and some kits with low price points are really important. AoS has seen the price-per-model skyrocket. While they are probably the best in the industry, that's a significant hurdle. I think GW's decision to keep lots of older (and therefore cheaper) kits was a way to tackle this. Rebox them for better value will give players easy entry points before getting into the new AoS-specific models.

A lot relies on the Generels Handbook being as good as advertised though. If it's not, we'll lose a lot of steam amongst the established miniature community. 

So much to look forward to I know I won't even be able to buy it all!  The board game, Generals Handbook, Aelves, and whatever else they can sneak into the release schedule, can't hardly wait. 

Probably most looking forward to the local scene expanding beyond a couple of garage groups.  I have never gamed anywhere else, but intend on setting up some games with a buddy at the FLGS instead of my house just to get out there playing and encourage people to try the game and see the fun we have playing.  After speaking to one of the guys working there, the handbook with points and structure for pick up games will be a big help,  I hope to be in on the ground floor of a whole new scene in the local community and help it grow long into the future!

Only the Faithful!

56 minutes ago, Darth Alec said:

I think the future for AoS is bright. It'll be a slog, no doubt, but recent events show that things have turned a corner. A lot of the complainers have left/stopped (except on the toxic forums). Feeling towards AoS in general is much more ambivalent than they were just 6 months ago. People see that we're having fun, getting cool models and doing awesome events.

The conspiracy theorist in me would argue that was on purpose but I think the reality it was the shock of a world and game everybody enjoyed playing changing. Some people cope with Change better than others ;)

I think people are seeing now, it's a good game, has nice models and a nice community.

The reduced barrier to entry, both in cost and time to paint the models, is the biggest improvement for me.

I've picked up a number of different models (and dug out a few others from the leadpile) that I would never have considered for Fantasy Battle, simply because the idea of starting a whole army didn't appeal. Now you can put together multiple warbands, very much in the style of 'Lost and the Damned' from way back. And the 'Getting Started' boxes are excellent.

I'm really interested in seeing how gw manage the points system and the narrative play if the narrative play is gd then I might just start a call of archaon campaign in my gaming group ... Cos it's a totally amazing series. Plus I can justify buying some flamers hehe

Archived