2000 points freeguild army

Blitzel

Hi all. I decided this week to finally let go square bases and go for round ones. 

I thought up an army with models I have using the generals compendium point system. I have loads more models as the Empire had big armies in 8th edition.

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Freeguild General On Griffon
- General
- Trait: Strategic Genius
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
- warhammer & shield

Warrior Priest
- Sigmarite Warhammer & Shield
- Artefact: Talisman of Blinding Light

Battleline:
20 x Freeguild Guard: spears, shields, banner, champion, musician
20 x Freeguild Guard: halberds, banner, champion, musician
20 x Freeguild Handgunners: banner, champion, musician

Units
3 x Demigryph Knights: shield, Lance and Sword

10 x Freeguild Greatswords: banner, champion, musician

5 x Empire Knights: great weapons, banner, champion, musician

War Machines
Steam Tank
Cannon

Total: 2000/2000

thoughts?

The warrior priest doesn't work with freeguild with the new scrolls. if you play him as volkmar it still works though. The cannon is a bit weak on its own wiithout an engineer backing it up. Spears are probably the worst option out of the freeguild guard. I prefer sword/shield - they're a great anvil. 

Also, I'd go with a General on Horseback instead of the griffon. If you do that, drop the cannon and drop one unit of guard to 10 you can fit in more knights and demigryphs and take the brotherhood of knights battalion.

Thanks for the advice. It is a shame for the warrior priest. I really like the ability to heal D3 wounds. I am not really into the detailed rules, but I thought I could field any unit from order. 

Am I otherwise able to add an excelsior warpriest? He can heal to. I thought that would be effective on my griffon and tank.

I have loads of state troops, but "zero" swordsmen. I can put halberd heads on the spears though. 

Also, am I allowed to put shields on halberdiers? 

Thanks in advance.

I have been tinkering on my list. Removed the cavalry and took more missile units. Also took more greatswords.

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Strategic Genius
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Excelsior Warpriest 

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Guard 
20 x Freeguild Crossbowmen 
20 x Freeguild Handgunners 

Units
3 x Demigryph Knights (200)
- Lance and Sword
20 x Freeguild Greatswords 

War Machines
Steam Tank 
Helblaster Volley Gun 

Battalions
State Troop Detachment 

Total: 2000/2000

Thoughts?

You can use an excelsior warpriest, as they affect order units rather than 'Devoted of Sigmar'

I would still use the General on Griffon, as a Freeguild player myself I've had a lot of good fortune and a lot of fun using a giant Griffon to slay my enemies!

Your latest list looks good, let us know how it goes! If you can find room for an engineer, it would certainly help your war machines!

On 10/02/2017 at 5:18 PM, Blitzel said:

I have been tinkering on my list. Removed the cavalry and took more missile units. Also took more greatswords.

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Strategic Genius
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Excelsior Warpriest 

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Guard 
20 x Freeguild Crossbowmen 
20 x Freeguild Handgunners 

Units
3 x Demigryph Knights (200)
- Lance and Sword
20 x Freeguild Greatswords 

War Machines
Steam Tank 
Helblaster Volley Gun 

Battalions
State Troop Detachment 

Total: 2000/2000

Thoughts?

If you are playing Matched Play, you won't be able to take the State Troop detachment... As there is technically no such thing as Empire or State Troops.

I'd drop the Volley Gun for something else 

Hmm maybe it will be updated in the general's handbook II.

I have also looked at the free guild regiment battalion. But you have to take so many units, I think it is better to have a fewer bigger units that give +1 to hit for veing with more and some cannon and/or tank support. I have also looked at the mortar and it actually looks quite nice! Hitting on 2+. 

Also if you put 2 artilkery pieces nextto eachother can you benefit from eachother's crew?

1 hour ago, Blitzel said:

Hmm maybe it will be updated in the general's handbook II.

I have also looked at the free guild regiment battalion. But you have to take so many units, I think it is better to have a fewer bigger units that give +1 to hit for veing with more and some cannon and/or tank support. I have also looked at the mortar and it actually looks quite nice! Hitting on 2+. 

Also if you put 2 artilkery pieces nextto eachother can you benefit from eachother's crew?

Take a look at the thread called Let's Talk Free People. There is a lot of collective wisdom between the players. Paul Conti has a great YouTube page which has a lot of Free People talk and strategy. 

Personally, I don't like taking artillery at the moment. There are a lot of armies with special deployment strategies which can take out the crew before you've had your first turn. The steam tank is my go to artillery because it's high wound count and can hold objectives, and now use the Hurricanum and Luminark as my hard hitting weapons. My Warhammer lists used to have 2 volley guns in them, so it's hard for me to rubbish them in AoS. 

I find the battalion is too bloated for my style of army. I prefer to get my buffs from free guild general on horse, wizard with wildform, and Hurricanum / Luminark. 

A normal General is great with infantry. Hold the Line is an incredible command trait, and he'll buff your Greatswords by just being around. 

Archived