Army list submission App. HELP WANTED.

Ben

@daedalus81 I came up with something very similar during my lunch break yesterday.

I hadn't had time to get around recording game results, tournament results. I think there would be some complexity on how tournament scoring would be reflected but might have a chance at looking at it some point.

There could be a load of cool functionality not just for tournament organisers but players to.

Thinking I might create something, for fun, got a Warhammer domain name and hosting I'm not really using - it's a good project and a chance to play around / learn a few things - thinking: Angular frontend with .net backend sitting on a SQL db.

Will put the code on GitHub so we can all play / contribute . Though away this weekend for my cousin's stag-do. So will have to start this up next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bens literally asking for a web form that formats input and sends an email, some of the solutions people are talking about here are massively overcomplicting the brief given.

JavaScript web form, PHP to format and send, that's it.

Any developer worth his salt can get that working in less than half a day

1 hour ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

Bens literally asking for a web form that formats input and sends an email, some of the solutions people are talking about here are massively overcomplicting the brief given.

Well, he wants reporting and other features, too which requires a lot of backend support.

4 hours ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

You're right, an app that just sends the list that the user typed in is easy. But do you want that? People could type in any old rubbish, like saying they have an Archaon at 20 points, or a hero with 17 artifacts. You'd need logic to verify all these things are correct. And you'd need to input all the unit names and points costs etc, and keep that updated when new models are released.

By the way, the scrollbuilder app exports armies as base64 encoded json. Or at least it converts that to a bit.ly link which you can manually get and paste in. If you could make use of that, I'm sure Tony would be up for adding an export button to make it easier to import your army into this new app.

Hi guys, 

I want to give a massive thank you to everyone that has had an input on this so far.  

I've had some amazing offers on this project so wanted to post a bit of an update and some more of my way of thinking on this.  

The main driver is that I want to create an awesome tool for the community and solve what is a big time sink for event organisers while also providing a really cool resource for the players as a result of fixing that problem.  

The 2nd major factor is that I want to own it myself and use it as a cool feature of the TGA community and a way to grow both this community and also AoS worldwide.  It can be used as a tool to help TO's run events and also spread the word about other events.  That rules out Best Coast pairing (which i'm sure is a great app but not what I want or need)

I've had some offers of a paid job (great!  This gets things done quickly and has an amount of accountability to ensure the project is completed to the right level and the right timeframe), i've also had offers of doing it for free (this is is amazing, people wanting to do this for the love of the hobby probably ends up being a better project that one that has been commissioned due to what can gee achieved for the price)

So where I am at now is I think the best way to go at this is to get a bunch of interested people commenting in here about this app.  We can have some discussions about what I would like to see, how you guys interested in helping can forsee it being possible and then have a look at how it can be executed.  

It may be that I can get a hive mind of hobby team Devs to create a spec/brief that I then commission, or it could turn out that someone can take that brief and build it to my spec.  

What does everyone think? 

Cool, I like what you've done, just wondering if we need to be aware of mobile devices and responsive design.

Is it worth taking a step back and getting together some user stories/epics from Ben and other people to make sure the concept achieves everything it is meant to, setup a team of people who can help and work in an agile method?

"A user story is a very high-level definition of a requirement, containing just enough information so that the developers can produce a reasonable estimate of the effort to implement it" http://www.romanpichler.com/blog/10-tips-writing-good-user-stories/

For example - do we expect people to register for the site before submitting a list - if so, what's the steps to register, are new users approved by an admin, what user details are captured, does the password need to follow any complexity polices, etc - and this is just for registering a user.

Does anyone know of any good/free (and not complex) agile tools?

I found this and created a board: https://tree.taiga.io/project/grimblaze-warhammeralst/kanban

Yea it should be very responsive - moving some of the items that sit outside the core of the page into the header would make it easier to code for that.

The document is on lucid charts and I can open it up to edit to specific people (don't want the world in there).  That is if it at least fits some of the goals and is a worthwhile starting point.

On 2/16/2017 at 11:19 AM, Grimblaze said:

Cool, I like what you've done, just wondering if we need to be aware of mobile devices and responsive design.

Is it worth taking a step back and getting together some user stories/epics from Ben and other people to make sure the concept achieves everything it is meant to, setup a team of people who can help and work in an agile method?

"A user story is a very high-level definition of a requirement, containing just enough information so that the developers can produce a reasonable estimate of the effort to implement it" http://www.romanpichler.com/blog/10-tips-writing-good-user-stories/

For example - do we expect people to register for the site before submitting a list - if so, what's the steps to register, are new users approved by an admin, what user details are captured, does the password need to follow any complexity polices, etc - and this is just for registering a user.

Does anyone know of any good/free (and not complex) agile tools?

I found this and created a board: https://tree.taiga.io/project/grimblaze-warhammeralst/kanban

We use jira at work for our Kanban / agile / bug tracking. It's not free but its super cheap if you have a small dev community working on a project, i want to say like 10 bucks a month or something like that.

-burscheid

We'd also need to decide what language/framework/whatever it would be written in, and what kind of hosting it'd need (which might affect the language). Rails seems like it'd be good for this, but of course if nobody knows rails, then perhaps not. I've only used it a tiny bit, but it has plugins which handle user registration etc pretty well without putting in too much effort.

I'd say the platform / programming language would mainly be dictated by the skill sets of the developers who can volunteer their time for this project.

I think we might be at a point where we want to put together a list of people who can give up sometime to help with this project and setup a slack or group to discuss the plan moving forward.

Who's up for getting involved?

Archived