AoS28 - The Dark Age of Sigmar

Ben

The mad king of a hidden court; Mudshroud, The Kyng of Spades is an Abhorrant Ghoul King who sees the dark and twisted forest as his mighty castle and it's surrounding lands. His rotted retinue seen through his eyes are a band of mighty heroes and fair maidens, wise and just and pure of heart. But the truth is dark and unpleasant...

Posted Image

Mudshroud, The Kyng of Spades, an Abhorrant Ghoul King in tattered royal regalia.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mordgrave, The Quene of Spades, a Crypt Ghast Courtier in the tattered remains of a blue dress.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Moldforth, The Joker of Spades, a capering Crypt Ghoul fool in motley.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 14

That maiden-ghoul is just hilarious but for some reason also incredibly sad! I picture her looking into the mirror and see a beautiful and elegant girl... a sad, sad destiny!

Great work on these Warbosskurgan! Looking forward to see them painted. If I can make one small suggestion, check carefully the minis for moulding lines before start painting! Those damn things are really annoying to find once you applied the first layer of colours!

Hagen

Edited by Hagen
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, OrfeoCulzean said:

Still really liking those Paladins Hagen, and the elongated mouth on the shield is great. Very much looking forward to seeing them all painted up, resplendent in their glory.

As for me, another day another warband. This time it's the Hunting Party, or 'find-the-ladie'.

“Our ladie is gonne, an all joys pass wyth her. Wyll you nott join us yn the hunt?”

huntetop3.jpg

hunt5.jpg

hunte1.jpg

Hei OrfeoCulzen, are these Slaanesh seekers? They look the part! For some reason they reminded me of the incipit of Dante's Inferno:

In the midway of this our mortal life,
I found me in a gloomy wood, astray
Gone from the path direct: and e’en to tell,
It were no easy task, how savage wild
That forest, how robust and rough its growth,  
Which to remember only, my dismay
Renews, in bitterness not far from death.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hagen said:

Hei OrfeoCulzen, are these Slaanesh seekers? They look the part! For some reason they reminded me of the incipit of Dante's Inferno:

In the midway of this our mortal life,  
I found me in a gloomy wood, astray  
Gone from the path direct: and e’en to tell,  
It were no easy task, how savage wild  
That forest, how robust and rough its growth,  
Which to remember only, my dismay  
Renews, in bitterness not far from death.

They are indeed some of the creature that are seeking Slaynish and I can see why they'd remind you of Inferno - most of my stuff comes from a strange melange of old poetry and art so there's probably some inspiration I took from there somewhere.

Edited by OrfeoCulzean
missed out a word

Tonight was a particularly quiet night for the City Watch. Since Chaos had been ridden from the area by the valiant efforts of The Order, not much had occured of note. This was partly the reason why Alan didn't pay much heed to the small group entering the city from the marsh. The group appeared similar to every other group that had entered over the past few hours, clad in an array of indistinct cloaks and other clothes of the region.

Alan forgot the other reason he didn't pay much heed...

The Wych entered the city with her seedlings intent on planting herself into the upper echelons of the city in order to ascertain information pertinent to the defence of the Grove. Her countenence was that of a light wind on the leaves, which suited her well for the trials ahead. 

Her followers were varied but each had their uses. It would take many cycles to reap their full potential.

IMG_2914.JPG

Here's my first character for my fledgling AOS28 warband, a Branchwych!

Parts used are;

Base model - Wanderers Spellweaver

Head - Dryad

Weapon + arm - Tree Revenant

Left hand - Spit Revenant

Shoulder Pad - Kurnoth Hunter

Spites - various sources.

Painting wise I stuck to a limited colour palette, greens and browns in the main aside from the leaves and eyes, which I used to make the model pop, and a little more eye catching! Taking inspiration from one of the Pilgrym warbands, I added texture to the skin through use of the Typhus Corrosion technical paint.

Moving onto the next few models in the warband, I'll be kitbashing them from scratch, rather than using an existing model as the basis like this first one.

Current influences on the warband included the Genestealer Cult, Aenur the Sword of Twilight and the Church of the Red Athenæum from the Wier Brothers! Here's a WIP shot of the next guy on the paint table!

2017-02-20%2B23.03.04.jpg

• Like 7

damn, so much amazing stuff in this thread. I've always love the look of inquisitor and inq28 seems like so much fun from a hobby perspective. I'm really excited to see there is a fantasy equivalent of inq28. I'll probably join in on the fun somewhere down the road. I really need to clear some of my backlog before starting a new project. luckily AoS28 means creating small warbands, so if I get into it, it doesn't have to be a big project. 

I'll be following this thread with great interest!

Hi,

Here are a couple of works in progress.

This guy is the leader of the warband. In his role as lord and master, he wears ornate heavy armour, but has acquired a few wounds along the way.

58ac988f68e2e_CountDirgeWIP.jpg.a72b1755ad8f061742299d9d60a47653.jpg

Parts:

Legs: Empire general

Peg leg: Empire handgun

Torso: Blood Angel space marine

Cloak: High Elf

Left arm: Empire pistolier

Right arm: Empire handgunner

Head: Empire free company

This guy is a tracker native to the marsh. He assists the humans in hunting their common enemy: skaven.

58ac9923ee598_FroglodyteWIP.jpg.4a98aefec71bc0faf81f53e07a75940c.jpg

Parts:

Legs, torso and arms: Bloodletter

Head and knife: kroot warrior

Spear: savage orc

Shoulder pad: Chaos marauder.

• Like 7

Thanks! I'm thinking that he'll be some kind of mutant frog/fish thing, a bit like the old Slann or one of the Deep Ones from H.P. Lovecraft. He'll probably end up grey like a catfish or maybe a faded green, although I don't want him to look too much like a 40k kroot. I expect chaos is involved somewhere... One of the things I like about AoS is the potential for mutation and strangeness without either witch-hunters or the chaos gods being involved - given how big and varied the setting is, the potential for random weirdness seems much bigger.

• Like 3

Well I've done my first conversion. The picture might not be great and more will follow. Its still a slight work in progress. 

My Fatemaster or should I say Fate mistress.

Built the halberd by drilling through the fingers. And yes she has three arms though you can't really see the third just yet. She is also on a disc of Tzeentch but as its late thought I'd share one picture :)

IMG_20170222_224153.jpg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Bruticus said:

There is now an AoS28 FAQ

http://www.exprofundis.com/aos28-faq/

Incredibly useful post Bruticus! I will recommend it to my friends who are starting to develop an interest in AoS28. It is great to have a firm set of guidelines providing an indication to what the creators of this initiative had in mind. 

I can see from some of the points you listed that my personal take on AoS28 differs a bit from the grimdark atmosphere you are trying to conceive, as one of the aspects of the new setting that I am interested in is the High Fantasy vibe which reminds me of Moorcock's Elric's Saga. It is not the impossible scale of the main AoS storyline that I am aiming to recreate with my minis though, but rather the whquest/Realm of Chaos of the late 80s which, to me at least, was an original and interesting blend of grimdark and high fantasy: flying ships and dark forests, godly beings and miserable mutants. I personally strive to pull these two aspects of the setting together as the initial fluff for the new setting went too far on the epic side of things and forgot to give a more human and grounded point of view of the action (when I see battles through the eyes of angels/demigods I tend to quickly loose interest).

I am a huge fan of Blanchitsu and the associated style of both painting and storytelling, but looking at some of Blanche's early fantasy works I can see that realism or indeed grittiness are on the background while artistic references and hints to pop culture (and High Fantasy was quite popular back then) are everywhere. I attached some of the images that served as a reference to my recent model efforts. Though I feel that the total grimness and hopelessness of some of Blanche's works fit the 40k universe perfectly (and Inq28 consequently) I would like to point out that, to me,  AoS is a peculiar setting where aspects of both high and dark fantasy cohesist (or at least this is how I envision it) and I feel that both deserve being reflected in AoS28 projects if that happen to be the intention of the author.

I would be very interested in knowing the views of other members of this community and hopefully get to see some of the artworks that inspired the great models that we've seen in the last few weeks.

Hagen

4a5d4475a99093fc963d542d300aecb3.jpg

John_Blanche_-_Nuln.jpg

john_blanche_knight_panther.jpg

tumblr_lvaq2s3ukh...to1_1280-4dddf1d.jpg

Edited by Hagen
  • Like 5

Deep in the realm of Ghyran lies the Whisperwhile forest. Withered oaks and sickly ash trees encircle the Bitterbile lakes, whilst the rest of the forest is covered with lush green flora. Trees bigger than watchtowers and deadly plants as far as the eye can see, added with the warm climate and pockets of realmstone make this the ideal place for many strange animals and beasts to roam. Deep in the forest lies the Fogshroud Realmgate, which leads to the great trading sky islands of chamon, which is where the main sky ports of the realm of metal are located.

If one travelled for three days due north into the forest, (not easy when everything, including the plants, think you are its next meal) they would come across Fort Ironfist. Built many years ago when the warrior chamber of the Anvils of the Heldenhmmer, the Ironfists pushed the tides of chaos out of the forest, it stands as a fearsome bastion, sitting above the surrounding trees on a spire of great rock. The Stormcast that guard the fort are experts in finding their way through the forest, slashing at vines with their storm sabres and burning away deadly plants with their lanterns. Despite this, there are many hollow suits of sigmarite armour encased in tree trunks, where the tree's magical properties have prevented it from returning to Azyr.  The Ironfists live up to there name, and the the areas around the fort are ruled ruthlessly. If Lord Celestant Koronus Ironfist so much as smells the taint of chaos in the air, whole acres of the forest will be burned down, for it to regrow in a week or two. 

Many small warbands live in the Whisperwhile forest however. It is said that a shadowy figure stalks the forest, as big as a Stormcast but clad in a black cloak. He carries a huge sword and crossbow of prestigious size, and it is said that wherever he goes, the lands are purged of the taint of chaos and foul magics. Sometimes, Lord Castellant Typhon Baleface will wonder the forest with his loyal Gryph-hound and his band of retainers, searching for anything deathly, or chaotic, but he often finds nothing. The spirit lord is said to walk the forest at night, accompanied by his band of spectres and spirit hosts, or raising retinues of skeletons or zombies to do his bidding. A heavy mist accompanies him wherever he goes, and he often whispers necrotic secrets to anyone willing to listen. The tree tribes of the forest live in the highest treetops they can find. They are primitive and use poisonous weapons, and are clad in the fur of those mysterious beasts they have killed. Deep underground are the great duardin tunnels, which are said to spread throughout all of Ghyran. Nobody knows what secrets they hold, but some say the duardin that live there hold a dark one...

Edited by MegabossChompa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MegabossChompa said:

Deep in the realm of Ghyran lies the Whisperwhile forest. Withered oaks and sickly ash trees encircle the Bitterbile lakes, whilst the rest of the forest is covered with lush green flora. Trees bigger than watchtowers and deadly plants as far as the eye can see, added with the warm climate and pockets of realmstone make this the ideal place for many strange animals and beasts to roam. Deep in the forest lies the Fogshroud Realmgate, which leads to the great trading sky islands of chamon, which is where the main sky ports of the realm of metal are located.

If one travelled for three days due north into the forest, (not easy when everything, including the plants, think you are its next meal) they would come across Fort Ironfist. Built many years ago when the warrior chamber of the Anvils of the Heldenhmmer, the Ironfists pushed the tides of chaos out of the forest, it stands as a fearsome bastion, sitting above the surrounding trees on a spire of great rock. The Stormcast that guard the fort are experts in finding their way through the forest, slashing at vines with their storm sabres and burning away deadly plants with their lanterns. Despite this, there are many hollow suits of sigmarite armour encased in tree trunks, where the tree's magical properties have prevented it from returning to Azyr.  The Ironfists live up to there name, and the the areas around the fort are ruled ruthlessly. If Lord Celestant Koronus Ironfist so much as smells the taint of chaos in the air, whole acres of the forest will be burned down, for it to regrow in a week or two. 

Many small warbands live in the Whisperwhile forest however. It is said that a shadowy figure stalks the forest, as big as a Stormcast but clad in a black cloak. He carries a huge sword and crossbow of prestigious size, and it is said that wherever he goes, the lands are purged of the taint of chaos and foul magics. Sometimes, Lord Castellant Typhon Baleface will wonder the forest with his loyal Gryph-hound and his band of retainers, searching for anything deathly, or chaotic, but he often finds nothing. The spirit lord is said to walk the forest at night, accompanied by his band of spectres and spirit hosts, or raising retinues of skeletons or zombies to do his bidding. A heavy mist accompanies him wherever he goes, and he often whispers necrotic secrets to anyone willing to listen. The tree tribes of the forest live in the highest treetops they can find. They are primitive and use poisonous weapons, and are clad in the fur of those mysterious beasts they have killed. Deep underground are the great duardin tunnels, which are said to spread throughout all of Ghyran. Nobody knows what secrets they hold, but some say the duardin that live there hold a dark one...

This is great inspiration for warband creation. :)

2 hours ago, Hagen said:

one of the aspects of the new setting that I am interested in is the High Fantasy vibe which reminds me of Moorcock's Elric's Saga. It is not the impossible scale of the main AoS storyline that I am aiming to recreate with my minis though, but rather the whquest/Realm of Chaos of the late 80s which, to me at least, was an original and interesting blend of grimdark and high fantasy: flying ships and dark forests, godly beings and miserable mutants. I personally strive to pull these two aspects of the setting together as the initial fluff for the new setting went too far on the epic side of things and forgot to give a more human and grounded point of view of the action (when I see battles through the eyes of angels/demigods I tend to quickly loose interest).

I am a huge fan of Blanchitsu and the associated style of both painting and storytelling, but looking at some of Blanche's early fantasy works I can see that realism or indeed grittiness are on the background while artistic references and hints to pop culture (and High Fantasy was quite popular back then) are everywhere. I attached some of the images that served as a reference to my recent model efforts. Though I feel that the total grimness and hopelessness of some of Blanche's works fit the 40k universe perfectly (and Inq28 consequently) I would like to point out that, to me,  AoS is a peculiar setting where aspects of both high and dark fantasy cohesist (or at least this is how I envision it) and I feel that both deserve being reflected in AoS28 projects if that happen to be the intention of the author.

I'm right with you on this @Hagen - the campaigns that I have been playing are very much influenced by the images and ideas you have posted, and though they may not look like AoS28 games I feel that the ethos and aims of my little group's gaming is exactly the same: the things that happen to the "little people" not seen in the main plots, but still in the fantastical and outlandish settings of the Mortal Realms.

Just a little extra backstory to the Whisperwhile forest. I'll be adding more as i go along.

The creaking and groaning of rusted metal can be heard in the dead of night along the shores of the Bitterbile lakes. Kagnus the Befouled, a harbinger of decay, emerges from the pustule green lakes and starts towards the lush undergrowth of the forest. He is the unholy fusion of man and horse, a centaur of Nurgle. his armour is so rusted that when it moves it sounds like the shrieks and cries of the dying, and his skin leaks oozing green liquid everywhere. He carries a scythe of rotwood and a shield of boil infested hardened flesh. Behind him trail his minions. Seven blightkings, each clad in rusting armour, clamber out the water. They are the Rotrust warriors, beings who have felt the touch of Kagnus. As they make their way into the forest, the carnivorous plants shrink back in repulsion. Everywhere the rotbringers step, new plants grow, but these are plant of rot and disease, not of life. Once the blightkings and their leader have returned from their mysterious trip, they saturate themselves in the vile liquid of the lakes once more and sink beneath the surface, waiting for nightfall again.

Edited by MegabossChompa

"Be off with you!" shouted the withered old man. He picked up a bottle of liquid and threw it at the spiders. The vial exploded in a shower of sparks, and the spiders scuttled out of the old man's house in the forest. 

"Those damn spiderfang grots! They're getting closer! I would burn down half the forest with warp fire if it wasn't for those damn Stormcast. The moment they know i'm here they'll burn me as a heretic! " The old man was shouting now. His familiars jumped about and muttered under their breath. He looked at his workbench. Vials and tubes full of bubbling liquid sat on top of of cauldrons and metal stands. "Yes, this'll do." He picked up one of the glass bottles and sniffed it. "Perfect. Just right for killing those devilish spiders. Now, if only i could..." There was acrashing noise as the door was smashed down. In the doorway stood a huge figure clad in black and gold. He held a war hammer in one hand and a shield in the other. "By order from Lord veritant Kylos  Witchbane, i brand you as a heritic and a worshipper of chaotic powers!" 

"I don't know what you mean!" The old man responded with a maddened cackle, as he threw bottles and vials of various liquids at the Stormcast. They ignigted instantly and a blue flashing light burst into the sky as the stormcast died.  "Come! Quick!" The old man shouted at his familiars as he ran out of the hut and into the forest before Sigmar's vengeance could strike.