AoS28 - The Dark Age of Sigmar

Ben

Some truly phenomenal work in here. I'm going to be starting an Order warband, something along the lines of lost souls left behind by their respective factions and banded together to survive.

Considering the following to start;

Stormcast Liberator - w/ Magic Spear and shield.

Duardin Engineer - I've got an awesome idea, need to see whether I can pull it off before trying to big it up.

Aelven Hunter - Using bits from a Shadow Warrior/Glade Guard kit.

Witch Hunter - Kitbash of Free Guild bits.

Forest Mage - Part Battlemage, part Sylvaneth Dryad. After trying to awaken the magic of the Sylvaneth woods the spell backfired and the mage was partly-merged with debris within the wood.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hagen said:

Hey Jake, thanks for your comment. I guess you are referring to the circular detail in the middle of the breastplate? I slightly resculpted to look like a gem instead of a hole to accomodate a pipe. I thought it would have looked nice to have something contrasting right in the middle of the model, I hope that the finished result will turn out as planned... The only hose/cable I left on the model is the one which is visible on the left side of the model (to the right in the picture), under his breastplate where I hanged an archaic looking key as a symbol of the goddess Arianka (more on her in next updates). This is going to be painted as a sort of rope/rosary and again I hope it will be clearly non-40k on the finished model.

Oh yeah my mistake, I had though the knife handle and the cord with the key were related. Carry on!

So, for my first trick, I cut up a Sorceress, a Fleetmaster, a Daemonette, a Medusa and a Tomb Banshee, to create two Slaaneshi Aelves, my take on the elusive Shadowkin.

I2BrKHb.jpg

For my next trick, I will cut up the Yncarne and a Callidus. And more Daemonettes.

(before you ask, the small succubus sprite is from the Mantic Games Kings of War Forces of the Abyss Succubus regiment box set.)

• Like 10

This week seeing all of thee AOS28 posts has really inspired me to want to create my own warband! 

My only question is i am new to narrative play and gameplay all together so how do i find out about the units i can use and their rules? 

If someone could tell me that would be much appreciated and  i cant wait to start converting a deadly warband...

24 minutes ago, Skave Threehorn said:

This week seeing all of thee AOS28 posts has really inspired me to want to create my own warband! 

My only question is i am new to narrative play and gameplay all together so how do i find out about the units i can use and their rules? 

If someone could tell me that would be much appreciated and  i cant wait to start converting a deadly warband...

Couple of places to look for the warscrolls: The age of Sigmar app, on the gamesworkshop site (find the unit scroll down and it's on the right, or just via google. (GW offers them for free so googling them is a viable option)

If you haven't already, the Generals handbook is an amazing source spot for narrative, group and of course matched play. 
Also look for @bottle's excellent Hinterland rules for fighting skirmish.
I also ran into very exciting adapted Mordheim rules you could check out on this site. (can;t remember where will try to find it later for you)

Just heard about this while catching up on the podcasts this morning, seems like a really good use for the box of random bretonnian bits I've got. 

I'm thinking that they'll be the remains of some kingdom that was overrun by nurgle who are now starting to fight back after Alarielle beat the Glotkin and closed the realm gate, which also leads me to create an opposing group lead by the nurgle chappie my wife bought me this week.

• Like 1

I think the rules need to come secondary to your ideas though, for example I priced up a couple of war bands using Bottle's Hinterlands rules and it just took all the fun out of it, plus couldn't fit much in of my chosen faction! I'm just going to create and see where it gets me!

Here's a cool piece from Between the Bolter and me on this very subject!

http://betweenthebolterandme.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/aos28-meets-outgard-funeral-procession.html?m=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My issue with warbands at the moment is that I really want a Tzaangor Shaman and Warlord on foot and Tzaangor archers on foot should be a thing. Im not sure how to do this (converting isnt the issue the kits are quite interchangeable) so rules wise im a little stumped.

Horrors I dont really want to convert, Im also considering the idea of an Order character gone rogue with Daemon summoning, but im not too sure who would be suseptible to Tzeentch's favor.

Plus I've got some chaos knight conversions planned with the yet to be released Stormcast Gryff knights and the Star Eagles (I think the current warriors and knights of chaos are too gritty for Tzeentch, I see them looking less skully and more knightly but with mutations.)

Though I keep posting plans and beeing very Tzeenchian they keep changing, I will eventually get some models converted or at least the horrors painted for the thread :)   

7 minutes ago, Grand Exemplar said:

Im also considering the idea of an Order character gone rogue with Daemon summoning, but im not too sure who would be suseptible to Tzeentch's favor.

I think the beauty of Tzeentch is that literally anyone can fall to his machinations. While Khorne are tradiotionally warriors of prowess, Slaanesh are pleasure cults and excessive lifestyles, Nurgle are well, filthmongers, Tzeentch to me has always been more the schemers, the covens, the seekers of forbidden knowledge. You can argue these are found among all the sentient races, and humans in particular (remember Egrimm van Horstmann!) You could even argue Orcs have unwillingly embraced Tzeentch, in the guise of Gork or Mork.

In short - do what you want! The important bit is the model, and the vision you want to create. Rules and lore, you can add later :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kramer said:

Couple of places to look for the warscrolls: The age of Sigmar app, on the gamesworkshop site (find the unit scroll down and it's on the right, or just via google. (GW offers them for free so googling them is a viable option)

If you haven't already, the Generals handbook is an amazing source spot for narrative, group and of course matched play. 
Also look for @bottle's excellent Hinterland rules for fighting skirmish.
I also ran into very exciting adapted Mordheim rules you could check out on this site. (can;t remember where will try to find it later for you)

Thanks dude!

I have the hinterlands rules and they're awesome! I just didn't see anything to do with points and stuff and im very new to the game-play so thanks for the advice on when to find them

59 minutes ago, Skave Threehorn said:

Thanks dude!

I have the hinterlands rules and they're awesome! I just didn't see anything to do with points and stuff and im very new to the game-play so thanks for the advice on when to find them

In that case: Points are in the Generals Handbook as a part of matched play rules. One thing to consider. I didn't buy it through the app. but apparently if you do the app also shows you the points. So it's a preference question on that one. (also there is a generals handbook two in the making, but I have no idea how long that will take)

these are the mordheim rules by @Anger the way:

This is an amazing thread. There are so many good ideas around. Those wolves with skull heads look great. OrfeoCulzean's stuff is crazy. I expecially like the little dog-thing being pulled along by giant rats.

Here is Lady Dirge with paint. The flash has slightly washed out the detail.

58a964fd8f485_LadyDirge.jpg.9de6a6e978bb2342d46dc0d70b93605a.jpg

Below is a WIP shot of the marsh dragon. I've had this model for years. Someone gave it to me and I've no idea where it comes from. The lead was very soft, but I don't know if that's just what happens to old models. I've had to add wings (again, I'm not sure whose wings they are). I think he'll end up with a head from the lizardmen terradon set. He looks suitably low and sleazy, as dragons go.

58a9657fbfb78_MarshdragonWIP.jpg.68b531138910f9355c47e85cc22eb437.jpg

AoS28's been ticking away for a while now, but not sure which direction to go in. I have a couple of existing kitbashes I'd build a group around, one finished, one on the way. My sculpting and painting skills are limited, and using green stuff to do anything other than plug a gap is a bit beyond me right now, so any suggestions for useful kits to raid would be super welcome.

First up, a Spellweaver kitbash, mixing parts from the Wild Riders/Sister of the Thorn plus some parts from Glade Guard. This one was my first kitbash. I'd be tempted to run it as a kind of Necromancer for Order (Biomancer? Geomancer?), having summoned a bunch of shambling trees and wild beasts.

IMG_9391.jpg.111f80ee7434b26a98500f498dadeb23.jpg

The second is my WIP Ghoul King. The body of an Orruk Brute, leftovers from a Crypt Horror kit, plus a bit of tinfoil for a crown. There's a ragged little cape around the back too. I think there's loads of a scope for a twisted royal family, or questing party (maybe accompanied by ghouls with coconuts), but I reckon that's the kind of thing my meagre skills would hit a ceiling with pretty quickly.

IMG_0227.JPG.2fb9b24e74f77e75313a8be603785903.JPG

Any reckons?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toby said:

I think both of those ideas would be good. I like the idea of a royal court: you could have a jester, bodyguards, a scribe and so on. It could work really well.

Soomething just came to mind. Although brettonia are no longer in the lore, they could be played as an alternative flesh eater courts army, because gouls see themselves as peasants and noble knights

• Like 1

Impressive works all around!

Gavroche, your horse-skeleton-hounds look really fantastic and straight out of a John Blanche picture!

Orfeoculzen.... WHAT IS THAT THING ON THE IMPALED HORSE???? Looks like a fetus and will most definitely give me nightmares tonight! Love your take on those disturbing scavengers.

It's really great to see so much enthusiasm around this project!

I also had a very productive sunday (well to my standards) meaning that I completed another one of the Luminarchate paladins and even had time to sketch a concept of the leader of the warband, the Luminark Malakia himself.

As you can see I have decided to convert the shields of the paladins to represent the holy semblance of Alluminas (looking pretty pissed off), inspired by a piece of artwork from the brand new wh quest shadows over hammerhal (sorry, just found this terrible image).

The Luminark is just a very early WIP but it gives a good hint of the direction I am going to take with him... Less warlike than the paladins but not totally wizard in terms of esthetic, something more akin to a fantasy cleric of Light. 

I also have an idea about his weapon/staff that I will expand in future updates.

Hagen

P1011034.jpg

P1011036.jpg

P1011044.JPG

P1011039.jpg

WHQSoH-Unboxing3-Content.jpg

• Like 15

Still really liking those Paladins Hagen, and the elongated mouth on the shield is great. Very much looking forward to seeing them all painted up, resplendent in their glory.

As for me, another day another warband. This time it's the Hunting Party, or 'find-the-ladie'.

“Our ladie is gonne, an all joys pass wyth her. Wyll you nott join us yn the hunt?”

huntetop3.jpg

hunt5.jpg

hunte1.jpg

• Like 5

Working on my Vampire Lord for Hinterlands. He's got a few Wanderer bits (head and an arm), as hints to his past. Which I thought could be fun considering one of the other warbands is a Wanderers warband ;D

Got some polishing left and then I'm gonna start painting him. Got him to lvl.6 against a Stormcast warband and now he can cast an extra spell, I want to add like a spirit host coming up to meet his right hand or something. Like he's drawing one out from a grave or a skeleton or something.

2017 - 1.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Centuryslayer said:

Working on my Vampire Lord for Hinterlands. He's got a few Wanderer bits (head and an arm), as hints to his past. Which I thought could be fun considering one of the other warbands is a Wanderers warband ;D

Got some polishing left and then I'm gonna start painting him. Got him to lvl.6 against a Stormcast warband and now he can cast an extra spell, I want to add like a spirit host coming up to meet his right hand or something. Like he's drawing one out from a grave or a skeleton or something.

2017 - 1.jpg

I love the small tease towards the wanderers warband :D

My Skaven bases used to festooned with Brettonian parts during the days my little brother still played. 

Also great conversion idea, especially as the right hand is already posed with his palm down.

1 hour ago, Gavroche said:

I love the high fantasy & non-historical look of your conversions. This what AOS is about to me. It may be dark, it may be gritty, but should also always be fantastic and different from our world's past (or Mordheim :P).

Cheers man, glad you like it... I was very reluctant to jump on board with AoS at the beginning as I was (and still am) in love with the historical dark fantasy of warhammer, but then I eventually realised that the great freedom this new setting allows in terms of narrative would have made for incredible looking conversions, different aesthetics and completely crazy and new cultural references...If you like the dark side of fantasy as we all do, that's great, plenty of it available but I am also tempted to explore the 80s High fantasy vibe of the setting, which is what I am doing with this war band. Looking at old lore from previous editions of warhammer is a great inspiration as back then dark and high fantasy were mixed in a very weird and interesting way.

Also, as you said, it was refreshing for once not to think too "historical" and mix different elements a bit more freely... My Luminarchate conversions show aspects of the crusades Kingdoms of Outremer, arabic and egyptian cultures and a hint to medieval european clerics, but I tried to make none of these aspects stand out too much so that the general feel of the model was still of an odd-looking and unrecognisable culture. Imagination is really the limit in AoS, which is something I seriously enjoy!

• Like 3