AoS28 - The Dark Age of Sigmar

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying out new ways to paint, trying to give a more grim/blanchitsu(?) look to my minis that otherwise look very bright with the base layer/wash/highlight1+2+3 approach.

So for the first time, I did zenithal priming + only washes, building many many layers. Love the result and it speeds up painting. Don't think the picture does justice to all the nuances on the mini, but it looks properly grimdark! Building a whole warband like this, but I might alternate with only glazes + the magical Streaking Grime for even more grimness :P

image.png.344bc5cd1882d0f3e08be31737563b73.png

• Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 1:17 PM, VBS said:

I've been trying out new ways to paint, trying to give a more grim/blanchitsu(?) look to my minis that otherwise look very bright with the base layer/wash/highlight1+2+3 approach.

So for the first time, I did zenithal priming + only washes, building many many layers. Love the result and it speeds up painting. Don't think the picture does justice to all the nuances on the mini, but it looks properly grimdark! Building a whole warband like this, but I might alternate with only glazes + the magical Streaking Grime for even more grimness :P

image.png.344bc5cd1882d0f3e08be31737563b73.png

Very cool! I’ll definitely need to try this as well seeing the result! 

• 3 months later...

Sooooo AoS28.

I painted this SCE I had lying around to try out a paint scheme. Wanted something grim, testing some paints on the metal for a dark look. Would have preferred it to look MORE grimdark, but this will do.

aysrdtkf.jpg.df29df25a5f1bdeb300f7ae637af02af.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

So, after a long AOS break, I want to take a shot at making the (in my opinion) comical ogors and gnoblars into something more AOS28-like. For me,  that means more emphasis on flesh-gorging brutes with pathetic gnoblars scurrying around, stealing the scraps.

The theme I'm thinking about is the sin of gluttony as depicted in medieval art. A band of ogors cursed by a god for feasting on the flesh of it's champion.

I'm thinking of creating a small warband for Warcry or Mordheim.

Ideas I have: ogor with pig head, obese ogor, ogor with mouth in belly, gnob feeder, ratlars (hnob rats), gnoblars with huge cutlery to feed ogors, gnob pig rider, gnob carrying plate of meat, rhinox beast-of-burden

What do you think? Could this work? Any more ideas?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dwerg said:

So, after a long AOS break, I want to take a shot at making the (in my opinion) comical ogors and gnoblars into something more AOS28-like. For me,  that means more emphasis on flesh-gorging brutes with pathetic gnoblars scurrying around, stealing the scraps.

The theme I'm thinking about is the sin of gluttony as depicted in medieval art. A band of ogors cursed by a god for feasting on the flesh of it's champion.

Ideas I have: ogor with pig head, obese ogor, ogor with mouth in belly, gnob feeder, ratlars (hnob rats), gnoblars with huge cutlery to feed ogors, gnob pig rider, gnob carrying plate of meat, rhinox beast-of-burden

Absolutely could. Ogors are great models in general to convert. In the AoS mawtribes groups there's someone who sculpted pig heads on his Ogors. 

Scroll through the pictures and you'll find it soon enough :) 

3 hours ago, Dwerg said:

Have you thought about using some ghouls body and gnoblar faces to make them look more like scavengers and close to the scraps? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kramer said:

Absolutely could. Ogors are great models in general to convert. In the AoS mawtribes groups there's someone who sculpted pig heads on his Ogors. 

Scroll through the pictures and you'll find it soon enough :) 

I found the Hogors from McGibs. Cool! That's what I have in mind. 

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Ninelives said:

Have you thought about using some ghouls body and gnoblar faces to make them look more like scavengers and close to the scraps? 

Yes, I have thought about that and considered that shortly. The ghoul bodies don't really say 'gnoblar' to me.

First few models have been created. :-) Two giant rat bodies with gnoblar heads stealing food and one Bosch walking head ogor butcher (count as gnoblar). Pictures will follow.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"The sons of the maw have come to eat. Behold the gluttonous beast. Thou shalth eat to live, not live to eat. Slay these sinful abomination!"
Last words of Thorvin the Favoured which he addressed to his followers, before he and his band of were devoured to the last man/beast/spawn.

So, the background of Ogor warband is that they have eaten the Chaos champion Thorvin The Favoured and have been cursed by Thorvin's God.

Here's a longer bit:

Globb has always been an unusual ogor. Where most of his kin are primarily concerned with the quantity of their dinner, he is obsessed with quality. As an ogor-calve he learned that human meat is more succulent than stringy gnoblar flesh. This ignited not only his appetite, but also his curiosity to discover more tastes. He discovered not all manfood is equal. A well-fed young noble is a delicacy where the bloated mass of a nurgle follower is something to be avoided.
Globb made it his personal goal to taste all that can be tasted in the mortal realms and quickly became a prominent butcher within his tribe. His quest brought him to the eight points, where he and his gluttonous brethren ran into a chaos warband of Thorvin the favored. All seemed well as the group of tasty snacklings were quickly defeated.

Globb was munching on one of the fine tasting legs of Thorvin when he heared a whisper in the wind: "Let the glutton become a freak." Immediately Globb and his following transformed in a terrible way and they have roamed the mortal realms in their altered shapes ever since. Always searching for a way to undo their curse and, ofcourse, searching for their next meal.

Here's a first (very crappy) picture of the butcher Globb the Gourmand and 2 ratlars.

GlobbAndRatlars.png

Globb has been cursed with a short stature (and the belly that goes with it) and without arms, so he cannot wield his favorite cleaver anymore. To most humans, he is now as harmless as a gnoblar. This, of course, frustrates Globb greatly. 

The ratlars are cursed gnoblars which nibbled at the leftovers of Thorvin (the toes that Globb couldn't be bothered with).

Globb is build with an ogor leadbelcher head, an ogor cleaver, skaven clanrat legs and other leftover bits. The ratlars are gnoblar heads on giant rat bodies (non GW).

Some sources of inspiration.

medieval gluttony.jpg

Allegory of gluttony.jpg

Edited by Dwerg
additions
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Lads and ladies!

everyone of you, who posted an idea, a doodle or an entire conversion plus painted model: you are amazing!!!

It was really refreshing to see all the different kinds of ideas and also a little bit of a reminder, that one does not have to create the same stuff to go "in line" with the rest of the hobby. 

Beeing a wargamer/hobbyist for almost two decades and often influenced by the people or groups i played with, my creativity almost always have been limited by either the rules and a stupid wysiwyg-mindset. Plus a bit of angst or fear of to "not wanting to ruin my models" by doing clumsy conversions or a bad paintjob.

Alltough loving the AoS Setting and its power metal vibes, i miss a bit of the weird doom and gloom from the old world. Especially the artwork of the armybooks for example always had some weird but lovely details which enriched the context between written content and the models you might have used for it.

And now i've found the x28 project... still have to read the mag28 issues, but this thread already got me so far, that i want to paint existing models in a different way than before.

But where to start?

In the upcoming holiday, lockdown and so on, i might be able to grab some paint, some underworld warbands, the models from silver tower and some... wait, i will just start with a knight questor probably.

Happy holidays, whoever celebrates it!!!

Thank you for the inspiration, Doomhowler

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tripple Post: like i have posted on social media, here's the finished Questoris Knight.

Took me about 7 or 8 hours, not including the time to wait for letting the paint dry. It was kind of relaxing, painting a bit more relentless. In its essence, there is a lot of inks and drybrushing involved and very few fine details which had to be layered the classic way. Next thing on the table will be Garrek Reavers.

20210103_170510.jpg

20210103_170531.jpg

20210103_170552.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...