AoS28 - The Dark Age of Sigmar

Ben

“The first inhabitants of Ulgu that we observed came out of the fog like wraiths. The fog hangs heavy in Ulgu and all that we could see from a distance were the men, dressed in rags and carrying axes, drifting around a hull. A hull that looked as if we were on the sea floor and it was close to running aground. The rest of the vessel was lost to the fog above us. As the strange procession moved closer we began to hear strains of what seemed to be part sea chanty, part mantra…..’and we’ll roooollllll chariots along, and we’ll hang on behind’. As the last of the strange men slipped into the fog on the other side of us, the last few notes lingered in the air. And then they were gone.”

-Excerpt from Horace’s Journal, Chief Foreman, 1st Cartography Mission past the Gate Shrouded Gate, Age of Sigmar.  

20170322_210416.jpg.a5341f1fb19522e7bb98e6c56cd3d345.jpg

There are three more of the followers (on the right) that need to be built but I realized I didn't have anymore appropriately sized bases after I built these 3. More pictures can be found on my blog. They should get some paint, at least a prime spray tomorrow.

Edited by Thundercake
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, elfhead said:

There probably is something wrong with us. creativity and insanity are two sides of the same coin:P

I wouldn't change the color of the gems, the monochrome colour scheme is really cool and the gems shouldn't stand out to much. I really like the flame pattern in black on the hems of his coat. the gold on this model doens't seem to stand out as much as with your previous model. which picture represents the real color better?

Thanks Elfhead, I will probably just repaint the oval gem on his breastplate and make it a bit paler as it feels a bit too dark atm. Good question about the gold, it's probably a light trick as I used the same recipe on both models, but I will try to take pictures of the whole bunch together once they are done so we can compare them all together.

13 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Looks great!!

Mind throwing out your recipe for white?

Thanks mate. White is actually very simple. First of all the model was undercoated with Corax White.

I opted for two tones: creamy and blueish.

The creamy white I used on the armour was done on a base of Rakarth Flesh, shaded with Agrax Erthshade and Drakenhof Nightshade (mixed together and blended with Lahmian Medium) and then highlighted with Ceramite white blended with Lahmian Medium. The idea was to try to infuse a pearly sheen to the armour, as if it was made of some exotic ceramic or nacre.

The pale blue white on the robes was achieved very simply by laying a base of Kantor Blue+Ceramite White (roughly 20%blue, 80%white) and then highlighting with ceramite until getting to pure white. No shades, no inks. 

Very simple, I remember the time when white was an absolute nightmare but I feel the introduction of Base colours and paint thinner like the Lahmian medium really helped simplifying the process. Of course, always start with a white or light grey undercoat!

Hagen

• Like 1

The Alluminarch is complete!

I finally finished the base, painting this model was great fun! So refreshing to paint something different from what I am used to (generally darker tones and less vibrant palettes) and quite happy with the result. I will try to see if I can take better pictures of him tomorrow with the favour of some daylight, but for now here you have him, resplendent in ikea table lamp light!

The base was heavily influenced by this early john blanche cover art for Steve Jackson's Sorcery book. Deliciously old school high fantasy!

Hagen

Alluminarca1.jpg

Alluminarca2.jpg

Alluminarca3.jpg

7b1eeb8faaaf43cc061ec2c256bb26f0.jpg

Edited by Hagen
  • Like 27
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Greyshadow said:

Masterpiece - Golden Daemon good. What a great base too. Nice work on the toadstools. P.S. Is that John Blanche a fighting fantasy book cover? Love that piece.

Thanks Greyshadow, really high praise! It's not GD level though, no fancy technique nor particularly intricate freehand... But I did put a lot of work into it so I am glad you like it. The artwork is indeed John Blanche's cover for Steve Jackson's Sorcery book 1, the Shamutanti Hills, first released many years before I was even born in the greatest days of High Fantasy! This is exactly how I envision Anaryn, the corner of the Realm of Hysh where my Alluminarchate is located... verdant and gentle at first glance but a bit on the weird side and full of dangers and mysteries hidden beyond the appearance... Definitely a magical place filled with Chaos beasts, toxic mushrooms and thatched roofed, white walled houses and towers.

After some weeks of viewing this great topic, I've decided to join in. I'm no writer and English is not my native language, but, to keep into the AOS28 spirit, I still wanted to write up some background.

---

With Sigmar and his Stormcast Eternals on the offensive, bringing the fight to the very doorstep of Chaos, an even bigger threat to the pantheon of Chaos is emerging. Not from without, but from within.

In every realm, the Chaos Gods are loosing followers. Sigmarite cults are slowly growing, sowing seeds of order in societies and tribes once firmly dedicated to Chaos.

Chaos is fighting this new threat with the fiercest of dedications. Demonic servants of the pantheon are waging a secret war, trying to root out the followers of the false God. The very survival of Chaos is at stake!

---

Mhogh'tor sits in his tent. The proud hunter allows himself a moment to let his guard down to let mind wander. For generations, the tribe of Mhogh'tor followed the path of Khorne, the eternal hunter.  Life was good on the great beastplanes. With game aplenty and their enemies crushed, the path of the hunter seemed like the one true path.

It seemed like a lifetime ago. Twenty moons ago, armoured, hammer wielding giants which came from the sacred gates of Ghrakh. At first, these giants looked like het another foe to best. The tribe had brought down great beasts and fought the biggest Orruk tribes.    
Things went wrong, however. Many kinsmen fell to the giants' hammers and his tribe would have been slaughtered, but a choice was offered. Join or die. Mhogh'tor was not afraid to die, but the offer to follow an, apparently even mightier God than the great hunter was a straightforward one to a hunter who respected strenght and prowess. So the choice was made and he and his kin denounced the eternal hunter and pledged to Sigmar.

Mhogh'tor is not alone anymore. A thin figure has, somehow, entered his tent. A woman, but at the same time not quite a woman. Too large to be human. Mhogh'tor sizes her up and does not considers her/it a danger. "Who are you and what do you want?" A large, cyclopedean head on legs then appears from behind the green robes of this figure. The head hisses softly; "you're a heretic. We have surrounded your camp. You die today by the hands of my mistress."
Mhogh'tor smiles, his hand gripping the hilt of his sword while standing up. "I've done battle against Sigmar's champions. You and your mistress don't scare me, demon."
The next moment, a talon from the mouth of the one-eyed  creature pierces Mhogh'tor's belly.

---

My first (and main) model is Haedewien, demonic inquisitrix tasked to cleanse chaos from law and order.
An ancient, fanatical demon with the ability to mutate and reshape the flesh of her victims with her second pair of hands (and yes, this idea is totally stolen from WilhelMiniatures and his Crimson Queen).

Hope you like this post.

20170326_095407.jpg
Edited by Dwerg
  • Like 13

Thanks for all the likes!

Currently on the painting table, is the big, one-eyed head and an executioner.

I'm looking for ideas for the next few members of the crew of the demonic inquisitrix. Does anyone have a cool idea?

So just a little update on my Daughters of Khorne warband; I have unfortunately not been writing anything lately (I had a 17 page Archaeological Sciences term paper to write which drained me of any interest in writing for the time being haha) so the stories for my characters have been put on a temporary hiatus, but I have had a little bit of free time to paint and my second character is coming along pretty well. She is the most skilled warrior of the band and the Executioner is what I've nicknamed her until I manage to think of names for my characters. So here are pictures of her current state of progress, still a lot of details to fix and all.

And @Hagen, as always, fantastic work mate! I love the color palette and the general feel of the minis for your Alluminarchate series. They're very reminiscent of John Howe, I love them!

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

• Like 9

Sorry for the double post but i managed to get some serious progress done on my eclipse entry and new witch hunter.

Imcyra the many blessed, Warden of the street of gods in ancient Themyskyr.
All faiths find their home in Themyskyr. Monks and pilgrims mingle with living saints and miracle workers outside the hundred identical temples that line the ancient street.

Imcyras job has always been a vital one, For it is her task to walk the street of gods and root out the worship of chaos, for even here the foul gods will find no welcome.

Now as chaos sweeps the land once more she finds her task has become ever more difficult, for she must check every home and sewer of the city for traces of the foul cults that have oft sprung up in the guise of some minor deity.

Her body bares the symbols and prayers of many different gods, painted upon the ash from the many pyres and braziers that sit outside the cities many places of worship.

17814033_10206483646009429_1691100461_n.jpg

17792328_10206483645929427_968237908_n.jpg

17806732_10206483645969428_665014375_n.jpg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, nicromancer said:

Sorry for the double post but i managed to get some serious progress done on my eclipse entry and new witch hunter.

Imcyra the many blessed, Warden of the street of gods in ancient Themyskyr.
All faiths find their home in Themyskyr. Monks and pilgrims mingle with living saints and miracle workers outside the hundred identical temples that line the ancient street.

Imcyras job has always been a vital one, For it is her task to walk the street of gods and root out the worship of chaos, for even here the foul gods will find no welcome.

Now as chaos sweeps the land once more she finds her task has become ever more difficult, for she must check every home and sewer of the city for traces of the foul cults that have oft sprung up in the guise of some minor deity.

Her body bares the symbols and prayers of many different gods, painted upon the ash from the many pyres and braziers that sit outside the cities many places of worship.

Seriously impressive job! Really fitting for the competition in my opinion!

• Like 1

@Gavroche I like him a lot, remember some sort of ancient and old king! The only thing i would change is the axe, an hammer or a spear suit better for me!

@AlexRasmussen @nicromancer love both of your conversion, some great characters you have made! The pantjob on Imcyra is awesome really "blanchitsu" style!

Ive also try in these days to paint the first of my dreg in a style more blanchitsu than my standard  (if you have seen my orruks they are clean and smooth mostly); I've test a lot on his surface, at the end the final result it's better than i tought during the painting sessions where i was a bit demoralized.

I dont know if i will continue to try and paint the rest of warband with this style, let me know if you like him:

(the head have different skin tone due to the many tries i talked about but i left it because remind me leather face, so imagine him like its wearing a leather mask :D!)

Gogol_1.jpg

Gogol_2.jpg

Gogol_3.jpg

Gogol_4.jpg

• Like 4

@nicromancer great background and a cool witch hunter. I really like the red symbols on her skin.

@Morghot very nice dreg!

@Gavroche I really like the pose of your model, but I'm not sure the head fits with the rest of the model. The armour and weaponry give me a (chaos) warrior feel and the head is not so warrior-ly for me.

Here are 2 additions to the warband of Haedewien, my demonic inquisitrix. A one-eyed head on legs; Thiederic. He senses disturbances (traces of order) in the chaos plane and is the seeker of the warband. The big guy, simply known as head-taker is doing the dirty work (executions) for Haedewien.

Hope you like it.

20170405_190448.jpg 

• Like 5

Niktor Blackbeard is a Knight Questor who has never been defeated and has never been reforged. He knows that he has a purpose, but he has wandered the realms for so long that he can barely recall what it might be. The black beard that gave him his name has long since turned to grizzled grey.

Vargax Thrice-Gifted is blessed by Khorne, granted prowess beyond imagining. But he spends every waking moment trying to silence the voice that whispers deep inside his head, demanding violence and blood and skulls. Much of the time he succeeds.

The two of them make unusual companions. They met in single combat, deep in the forests of Ghyran, and fought each other to an exhausted standstill. Since then they've wandered the realms together, in a relationship built on grudging respect and incredibly long and stony silences.

They are followed by a ghoulish demon that has taken the shape of a winged baby. They have tried to escape it and they have tried to slay it, but the thing flickers in and out of reality on a whim, so now they simply tolerate it. The demon crouches beside their heads while they sleep and whispers mischiefs into their ears, setting the two of them against one another and filling them both with a constant paranoia. They do not know if the cursed thing is an agent of Khorne, of Sigmar, or of some other. They call it simply "The Rat".

image.jpeg

• Like 8

I'm here to get in on this awesome-looking AoS28 action! Some very creative conversions on display.

I recently decided to abandon my barely-started Flesh-Eater Courts army and turn the heroes into an AoS28 warband instead. So I've got a few conversions either completed or in the works already, but I wanted to add something brand new for Eclipse. This is obviously WIP, but couldn't resist sharing - I'm quite excited! Got a little backstory written up for him and everything, but I'll share that when he's finished.

EDIT: Also, and tips on building up the gore around the horse's neck would be greatly appreciated.

Witchsmeller Accusant 1.jpg

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I'm here to get in on this awesome-looking AoS28 action! Some very creative conversions on display.

I recently decided to abandon my barely-started Flesh-Eater Courts army and turn the heroes into an AoS28 warband instead. So I've got a few conversions either completed or in the works already, but I wanted to add something brand new for Eclipse. This is obviously WIP, but couldn't resist sharing - I'm quite excited! Got a little backstory written up for him and everything, but I'll share that when he's finished.

EDIT: Also, and tips on building up the gore around the horse's neck would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot express how much I love this conversion. So grim and so true to their theme. Bravo sir!

1 hour ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Hi! Nice work so far... About the gore on the horses neck... your megaghoul does not look like the kind of guy who would bother using a razor sharp cleaver to dissect his proud destrier... So I would suggest to go for a ripped-off head effect instead of a clean cut which, lucky you, is going to be easier to achieve. Just work your green stuff into thin irregular strips (around 1/2 mm wide and the same length approx) and apply them to the underside of the neck to represent the flapping gory chunks of meat still attached to the head... I would also try to simulate a similar effect on the horse's caparison, since the head was probably ripped while the horse was wearing it (I assume)so work with gs to give the cloth irregular edges... If you have some spare bits from a skeleton horse you could also add a bit of spine to the underside of the neck (before applying the gore)... not much, just a couple of vertebrae to show that severing the head was not a clean job...

Edited by Hagen

4 hours ago, Hagen said:

Hi! Nice work so far... About the gore on the horses neck...

Seems like good advice, thanks. I'll definitely give the green stuff strips a try. Thought about a spine but I don't think I've got anything suitable sadly.

21 hours ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Love the hobbyhorse idea. Really gets across the fact he thinks hes actually a knight. Love the idea that the ghouls think they are noble shining paladins. 

@Bruticus

I'm in love with your Warband.

Can you give me a quick rundown on your colours and maybe what mica paste/leaves you used?

I havent got a a scheme for my Sylvaneth yet and I would like to take some of your ideas, if its ok for you.

Edited by Mune