AoS28 - The Dark Age of Sigmar

Ben

On 16/03/2017 at 9:27 PM, Hagen said:

Hey Davariel, really nice conversions! I did something very similar a while ago for a marienburg war band commission (you can find some pics of them here if you are interested)

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,51032.75.html 

Can't wait to see them painted!

Hagen

@Hagen Thanks mate! Those Marienburgers are absolutely phenomenal... without a doubt the best looking Mordheim miniatures I've ever seen!!! You wouldn't happen to be a professional sculptor by any chance? Your stuff looks better than what most miniature companies sell!

I have absolutely fallen in love with this project! There are so many awesome models for this project so far and I can't believe how much fantastic talent there is here! This is just the beginning of my contribution, but the general idea is what I'm calling the Daughters of Khorne (hopefully around 6-8 models). I'm working on literature in addition to the models, and the only character I have really fleshed out thus far is the leader. She's the eldest of the warband and is in essence the spiritual leader/matriarch. She's blind and is tasked with carrying a massive bell, which she wields as a weapon. She keeps the rhythm of battle. She is still very much in the WIP stage at the moment, both the model and her story, but the model should be finished this weekend! Here's a link to my instagram if anyone is interested in following my work more closely, and I am also launching a blog/website very soon to host HD pictures of my work and post updates on my projects.

A snippet of writing for her...

"Pungent and foul was the aroma, though it bothered her not. The stench of corpses freshly slain and the steam that rose from the earth as the warm blood cooled in the chill of the early morning air was no foreign invader to her senses. She relished the bitter taste the thick smells left on her tongue as she stalked among the ruined bodies of her fallen enemies. A familiar scene to those who served the god of bloodshed and war as she did..."

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

• Like 19

8 hours ago, Davariel said:

@Hagen Thanks mate! Those Marienburgers are absolutely phenomenal... without a doubt the best looking Mordheim miniatures I've ever seen!!! You wouldn't happen to be a professional sculptor by any chance? Your stuff looks better than what most miniature companies sell!

Thanks Davariel, that's a really high praise! I am not a professional sculptor/painter, this is just my hobby and that's the way I like it! I did some commissions in the past, like the marienburger, but I discovered that I much prefer to work on my own stuff and just follow inspiration when it strikes instead of having to commit to deadlines and briefs (I already do that every day in my job ;).

Hagen

4 hours ago, AlexRasmussen said:

I have absolutely fallen in love with this project! There are so many awesome models for this project so far and I can't believe how much fantastic talent there is here! This is just the beginning of my contribution, but the general idea is what I'm calling the Daughters of Khorne (hopefully around 6-8 models). I'm working on literature in addition to the models, and the only character I have really fleshed out thus far is the leader. She's the eldest of the warband and is in essence the spiritual leader/matriarch. She's blind and is tasked with carrying a massive bell, which she wields as a weapon. She keeps the rhythm of battle. She is still very much in the WIP stage at the moment, both the model and her story, but the model should be finished this weekend! Here's a link to my instagram if anyone is interested in following my work more closely, and I am also launching a blog/website very soon to host HD pictures of my work and post updates on my projects.

Great model and idea! So much nice works in here!

@AlexRasmussen Thats a lovely model. Can I ask you of what model or mark its the head? The body its the one of the sisters of silence, no? Boy, that body has to be the best thing GW has released ever to make female conversions. It works so well in Sci-fi and in Fantasy! I have to bought a box just to conversions. 

Here's a Hag Sorceress I'm working on. Built entirely using spare bitz from Dark Elf, Dark Eldar and Kroot sprues. Please excuse the poor photography. There are some earlier WIP shots on my blog here.

I'll be making a custom card for her in WHQ too.

Still working on her background but she's an Ulgu elf who is searching for Revenge upon a Chaos Lord who destroyed her home and slaughtered many of her people. 

Sorceress[1].jpg

Edited by zedatkinszed
  • Like 6

First post on the thread, absolutely love the /28 aesthetic! On a longer term I have the intention of doing some chaos warband but below is the initial stage of an elf project (not precisely a warband but I think it might fit here?). Very WIP, as it's only blue tag for now to have a clear idea. Haven't touch any green stuff or paints in a decade so I'm a bit uneasy with how these will turn out.

Anyway, the idea is kit bashing lefover wildriders/dryads to make some tree-like elf/specters (no legs left hehe!). The fluff idea behind is a bunch of wild riders awakening from a deep slumber after being slain during the End Times along their liege. To their horror,  they find themselves in a barren plane of the Realm of Shyish, devoid of their mortal flesh as Kurnous is no more. Confused, they wander without aim as they mourn their fate, growing ever more sour and twisted... (this might also be my whole excuse in bringing my wood elves into AoS).  

WR1.JPG.6ee7c98d105fdca02ca8599905a141aa.JPG

WR2.JPG.0d80721cc24fa0a4b7619fe5bbfa25c1.JPG

WR3.JPG.19a940e5497957c1edb3b7724cdd93b8.JPG

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Galas said:

@AlexRasmussen Thats a lovely model. Can I ask you of what model or mark its the head? The body its the one of the sisters of silence, no? Boy, that body has to be the best thing GW has released ever to make female conversions. It works so well in Sci-fi and in Fantasy! I have to bought a box just to conversions. 

@Galas Thanks, the head is one of the Sisters of the Thorn heads, I sculpted the face mask and hood and added the tusks. Good female heads are difficult to find. The model is comprised of parts from four or five different kits.

• Like 1

Check out GW's very own Age of Sigmar primer. Totally free, covers all the main beats of the background and features loads of cool art:
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/wh-aos-primers.html

If that's not enough for you, a quick Google reveals 1d4chan's AoS page, which I haven't read but seems to cover most of the bases in detail, though fair warning, will probably have fairly strong internet humour/fan conjecture vibes:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer:_Age_of_Sigmar

Thanks! I'll have a look. No new races then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My build for the ex profundis witch hunter challenge.

I wanted to keep a similar silhouette to a traditional high hat wearing witch hunter but with a more wizardly look .

Built him a sub-carbine a master crafted weapon from the dwarves that he uses to weaken his foes before he runs them down with his pike that can ether stun or shock the target . I see this as firing bolts or darts and being wind up .

He also has a lil furry friend to help him track his prey .

I wanted to achieve a layered look as if he has loads of layors on to protect from the elements.

If you look closely you maybe able to see his robotic feet and face you can see he has been "improved"

tmp_11091-20170319_1417211030584687.jpg

tmp_11091-IMG_20170319_143256_037-151773321.jpg

tmp_11091-IMG_20170319_143143_644246071852.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, curnow said:

My build for the ex profundis witch hunter challenge.

I wanted to keep a similar silhouette to a traditional high hat wearing witch hunter but with a more wizardly look .

Built him a sub-carbine a master crafted weapon from the dwarves that he uses to weaken his foes before he runs them down with his pike that can ether stun or shock the target . I see this as firing bolts or darts and being wind up .

He also has a lil furry friend to help him track his prey .

I wanted to achieve a layered look as if he has loads of layors on to protect from the elements.

If you look closely you maybe able to see his robotic feet and face you can see he has been "improved"

tmp_11091-20170319_1417211030584687.jpg

tmp_11091-IMG_20170319_143256_037-151773321.jpg

tmp_11091-IMG_20170319_143143_644246071852.jpg

It's pretty cool to go give him a gun & sci-fi bits. Some would argue this belongs more in INQ28 than Dark Age of Sigmar, but I think it could be fantasy as well. Dying Earth, Masters of the Universe, that sort of thing. And who knows, maybe the AOS world is the very very distant future of WH40K's Terra, long after the Emperor has died his final death, when technology has become so incomprehensible it is regarded as magic.

• Like 3

Yeah true . I mean the old world has allways had fire arms and even more exotic weapons as far back as slaves to darkness . And with the new dwarf sky pirates that are being released its even more likely . Plus witch hunter have allways had a pistol so i see this as the next step along that line .

Seeing all the cool warbands has inspired me to start one, and I've noticed a distinct lack of Seraphon, so here's my Seraphon warband (So far. Soon it will be more than three minis.). I'll now present to you the Scourges of Felis Major. My lore for them is that a few Seraphon have somehow summoned themselves to Ghur out of their own will, not the Slann's (Although a Starpriest did help a bit.), to try to battle Chaos in a way that is not just charging forward and attacking. Now, on to the pictures.

IMG_0106.JPG.73c63e848c043767d3267c735c01d8f4.JPGIMG_0107.JPG.94e7f22e969707110f89643f7661aa69.JPGIMG_0109.JPG.c5570edd0c40989b11473946aa759c15.JPGIMG_0110.JPG.427503e6ce43c4b47e19e3a12fd09e68.JPGThis Saurus is Tri-zan, an Oldblood of high intellect. While not as intelligent as your average Skink Priest, he often chooses to (attempt to) use the more stealthy way to combat Tzeentch, fighting fire with fire(Of course, he is not a wizard, and sometimes followers of the Changer of Ways see through his disguise.

IMG_0111.JPG.69ad378a6e68ffb8b5546dde572d743f.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG.b6b74957ed55a663838ece00bdcb4e3f.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG.5b705a7062bd01206365763e0fbea59c.JPG

The above lizard is a Sotekhound, which is the Seraphon equivalent to a Gryphhound. 

IMG_0144.JPG.719ad86e89e4e34ca0f885e9e6e5386e.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG.11c7151eb5fa8bd2fe30ca77dcd5c39f.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG.9d4af4ee86e43cade0aefc127ca69394.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG.9d4af4ee86e43cade0aefc127ca69394.JPG

Takrell is an Oldblood who provides some brawn to the warband, because without Takrell, it(sometime when I get the models painted up.) is made up of a few Skinks, a Saurus pretending to be a flightless Daemon Prince, and a Sotekhound.

IMG_0147.JPG

• Like 2

allthough I really should work on finishing up some models for my Slaaneshi elves, I also put together two elves (what else) for an Aos28 warband. The 'witch hunter' I'll paint up for the eclipse contest. 

It really is a lot of fun figuring out a different look for this warband to fit into the AoS aesthetic, while that same look is still evolving. the idea behind the warband is a group of elven militia guarding a realm gate in the district of Nohr. The gate leads to the realm of shadows and sometimes monsters from that realm crawl out. The warband fights these monsters, preventing them from rampaging through the city streets.

I remembered that when I was a kid I loved the idea of an elf with a eloborate long rifle. allthough I soon learned elves in wfb didn't use guns, they frowned upon the unreliable and loud weapons of the humans and dwarves, instead relying on their perfect skill with longbows. But this is a new era, where technology is a little more advanced so I finally went and created an elven marksman wit a long rifle.

time for some pics! both elves are some pretty elaborate conversions with some green stuff work. I even copied a head for the witch hunter, using blue stuff.

KwfBD7wl.jpg Sb0jfq3l.jpg X44Quy1l.jpg

Let me know what you think of them.

• Like 13

@elfhead I love them, especially the Witch Hunter. They've got more advanced technology/fashion sense, but are still distinctly Warhammer elves; I didn't know it, but these are exactly what I expected aelves living in the free cities to look like, I'm now quite tempted to bash together a unit of Ellyiran Reavers with similarly arcane looking rifles. The only criticism I can come up with would be that the skull on the Witch Hunter's chest piece isn't particularly elfy and undermines the aesthetic - replace it with a gemstone or rune matching the one on his helmet?

Also what's blue stuff? :) 

@Double Misfire I think you're right about the skull. I wasn't really sure about it, but it is the one thing you picked out that could be improved. I don't want to use to much gems so I'll probably go for a rune.

Blue stuff is, well, blue stuff. It's a kind of plastic (I think) that becomes soft after leaving it in hot water for a few minutes. this way you can use it to create a mold of a piece from any kit. you can order it from greenstuffworld. I used it to copy a head from the dark elf corsair kit, bar the hair.

• Like 1

@elfhead Brilliant conversions and ideas! That sniper has a really nice feel to it, and I am also oddly attracted by the idea of an elf with a rifle... Is there something wrong with us? :$

I have been working on the Alluminarch, leader of the warband and I can finally show some WIP pictures (my computer broke up and my phone just isn't up to the task of uploading on TGA)... They are not great pics but I am really happy with where this is going, coming out exactly as planned! I will probably enter this model in the Witch Hunter competition once it's finished (you might have noticed that it lacks a base ;))

Question: I am thinking about changing the colour of the gems from blue to turquoise but not 100% sure... What do you guys think?

Hagen

Alluminarch1.jpg

Alluminarch2.jpg

Alluminarch3.jpg

Edited by Hagen
  • Like 27

Question: I am thinking about changing the colour of the gems from blue to turquoise but not 100% sure... What do you guys think?

I would keep the blue. Turquoise would remind the flame of the staff to literally for me.
Brillant painting and conversion so far.
Love concept and the limited palette.
Maybe you could keep the gems for last.

On 19/03/2017 at 5:10 PM, curnow said:

Yeah true . I mean the old world has allways had fire arms and even more exotic weapons as far back as slaves to darkness . And with the new dwarf sky pirates that are being released its even more likely . Plus witch hunter have allways had a pistol so i see this as the next step along that line .

I think new technologies work just fine in AoS. However I also think that sometimes you are at risk of making a model scan as 40k - for example there might be steam-powered armour in AoS, but if you were to use a Space Marine helmet it might just look like a 40k model. To my eye, a couple of details look a bit 40k on your otherwise excellent model, I think the gun might be an easy fix by changing just the very tip of the barrel for something simpler, without the sight on the top. A few mm of brass tube, or the end of a fantasy pistol would work great.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Bruticus said:

I think the gun might be an easy fix by changing just the very tip of the barrel for something simpler, without the sight on the top. A few mm of brass tube, or the end of a fantasy pistol would work great.

Surely some kind of baroque crossbow, possibly from one of the Dark Elf kits. You could even keep the ammo drum!

8 hours ago, Hagen said:

@elfhead Brilliant conversions and ideas! That sniper has a really nice feel to it, and I am also oddly attracted by the idea of an elf with a rifle... Is there something wrong with us? :$

There probably is something wrong with us. creativity and insanity are two sides of the same coin:P

I wouldn't change the color of the gems, the monochrome colour scheme is really cool and the gems shouldn't stand out to much. I really like the flame pattern in black on the hems of his coat. the gold on this model doens't seem to stand out as much as with your previous model. which picture represents the real color better?

Edited by elfhead

10 hours ago, Hagen said:

I have been working on the Alluminarch, leader of the warband and I can finally show some WIP pictures (my computer broke up and my phone just isn't up to the task of uploading on TGA)... They are not great pics but I am really happy with where this is going, coming out exactly as planned! I will probably enter this model in the Witch Hunter competition once it's finished (you might have noticed that it lacks a base ;))

Hagen

Alluminarch1.jpg

Alluminarch2.jpg

Alluminarch3.jpg

Looks great!!

Mind throwing out your recipe for white?

• Like 1