AoS28 - The Dark Age of Sigmar

Ben

6 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

The infantry/balloon KO army fluff I'm making right now (getting Admiral tomorrow, first mini!) Fits right in to this. Any shame in using un-modded models if I'm not painted in skyport colors and my fluff game is strong? 

Other question, I don't know anything about the lore of this world other than than KO book stuff. Is this expansive enough for me to just make my own little area and have it make sense?

Yeah the world is basically infinite, you definitely can make up your fluff without too much constraint. 

IMO it's ok to use unconverted models (John Blanche did make concept art for kharadron minis!) but it may be harder to get that darker / stranger vibe. But if you're creative with the paintjob and basing I think you can still get some of that aesthetic :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2017 at 11:53 AM, Moldek said:

IMO it's ok to use unconverted models (John Blanche did make concept art for kharadron minis!) but it may be harder to get that darker / stranger vibe. But if you're creative with the paintjob and basing I think you can still get some of that aesthetic :)

I don't see anything wrong with unconverted models per se, but what gets me is when people post their minis in the AoS28 Facebook group and they're both unconverted and painted in a bright primary colour palette. I really don't know what's going through their minds. AoS28 and Blanchitsu are very loosely defined, but I think the one element we can all agree on is that they should be 'dark' in some way. There needs to be an element of the unsettling, the bizarre and the eldritch about them. It's totally possible to communicate that through colour palette and paint job alone, but in my opinion if you're not converting models then you're not really entering fully into the free-form spirit of the thing. That shouldn't take anything away from the quality of the work, which may be up to a very high standard, I would just question whether it makes sense to classify it as AoS28 or Blanchitsu.

Edited by Guest

On 24/08/2017 at 4:35 PM, Jamie the Jasper said:

I really don't know what's going through their minds

Clearly they hobby in a way that differs you. And there is nothing wrong with that.

On 06/02/2017 at 8:00 PM, Ben said:

...but a whole approach to the hobby: an approach that puts creativity and imagination first.

This is the main 'mission statement' for any part of the hobby, and for dark AoS or Inq28, even more so . So what if someone's creativity is limited too primary colours, or using stock minis.

If everyone painted and posted nothing but John Blanche inspired (copied) stuff, it would become repetitive and boring.  Blanchitsu has its place, but so does every other artist or modeller that has inspired to move away from 'mainstream' AoS or to create warhammer art over the years. Perhaps someone is just starting out, and is not used to painting in the dark grimey style, or perhaps they just cant paint like that. Or, most shocking, maybe just doesn't want to paint like that.

Instead of moaning about how other people choose to interpret what is dark (which can be very subjective) or what is 'allowed' to be posted, how about add some positivity. Offer advice to those that ask of it, or even choose to ignore those that post things that dont mesh with your vision of the hobby.  If everyone stopped trying to class whether work should be defined as ' AoS28 or Blanchitsu' or not, we have a lot more people showing off cool minis, and lot less people refusing to post here or the facebook group, for fear of being berated for being 'creatively wrong'.  Nothing wrong with guiding the style, but the constant negativity on the facebook group is turning people away, to the point they are complaining about it in other groups.

• Like 4

Dug these two out today. Don't mind the dust. Technically, iirc in Elfslayer, Max Schreiber points out that Felix has not aged and he was too unscarred despite all they've been through, hinting at a bit of cursed immortality.

Haven't read the last two books but if that's still in the canon, then what if Felix awoke in the tomb or whatever, spending years digging himself out both physically and mentally and then just sorta travels the Realms, still a wandering poet, still writing and following Freeguild companies and other forces of Order into the wilderness, fighting in arenas, getting in barfights, bedding women as he somehow always manages to do.

Never forgetting but always remembering, something like Connor Macleod from Highlander mixed in with a bit of Guts from Berserk. And maybe he is followed by the spirit of Gotrek, remaining shackled to him even in these strange, mythical times. Wandering, helping where needed. Usually in the company of Fyreslayers or mercenaries.

For Felix I was thinking of using either the general, paladin or witch hunter warscroll. Gotrek'd be an unforged or doomseeker.

They were last painted during my high school years, and it's been about nine or ten years since. Thinking of giving Felix a new look (not too sure how to go about it), while making Gotrek into some fire ghost. Or a normal ghost. What do you all think?

image.jpeg

Edited by Evz22
  • Like 1

On 28/08/2017 at 3:31 PM, RexHavoc said:

Clearly they hobby in a way that differs you. And there is nothing wrong with that.

This is the main 'mission statement' for any part of the hobby, and for dark AoS or Inq28, even more so . So what if someone's creativity is limited too primary colours, or using stock minis.

If everyone painted and posted nothing but John Blanche inspired (copied) stuff, it would become repetitive and boring.  Blanchitsu has its place, but so does every other artist or modeller that has inspired to move away from 'mainstream' AoS or to create warhammer art over the years. Perhaps someone is just starting out, and is not used to painting in the dark grimey style, or perhaps they just cant paint like that. Or, most shocking, maybe just doesn't want to paint like that.

Instead of moaning about how other people choose to interpret what is dark (which can be very subjective) or what is 'allowed' to be posted, how about add some positivity. Offer advice to those that ask of it, or even choose to ignore those that post things that dont mesh with your vision of the hobby.  If everyone stopped trying to class whether work should be defined as ' AoS28 or Blanchitsu' or not, we have a lot more people showing off cool minis, and lot less people refusing to post here or the facebook group, for fear of being berated for being 'creatively wrong'.  Nothing wrong with guiding the style, but the constant negativity on the facebook group is turning people away, to the point they are complaining about it in other groups.

I don't know why you've chosen to jump on me particularly given that A) I'm just voicing an opinion that I would guess is fairly common, and B) I would never directly criticise someone's hobby work on any platform for any reason. I've 'liked' plenty of stuff in the FB AoS28 group that I didn't necessarily feel belongs there. I'm not going to be petty and unpleasant about it.

That said, if I start a Flesh-Eater Courts group and people start posting pictures of their Stormcast in there, it doesn't matter how brilliantly those models are painted - they're categorically being shared in the wrong place. The principle is the same here. AoS28 is open to a huge degree of interpretation, but there's still a set of loosely defined minimum criteria. If you post a brightly painted, unconverted model to the AoS28 group you know that you're not posting it in the best place, and that there are other places to showcase your work that will be a much better fit. Places where your work will be better appreciated and where you'll get more constructive feedback because it fits better with the interests and expectations of the people who use that group.

I don't see that as a controversial position. I would have thought that should be common sense really.

Anyway, enough preaching from me! Back to the awesome miniatures! I'm hoping to have more FEC conversions to share soon.

Sorry to see this thread dying off, lets see if I can maybe provide some life support.

I've done some work on my Störnheer, the Duardin of the Rusted Shore. Will post a fuller write-up later some time. First my Umâk-Karahn, unforged. These tragic warriors are willingly possessed by daemons to tear the secrets of defeating them from their infernal minds. Not all survive the soul-rending rites of exorcism that musy follow.

IMG_20170628_080930_321.jpg

IMG_20170628_080930_335.jpg

IMG_20170628_080930_334.jpg

IMG_20170628_080930_324.jpg

• Like 10

@Shenordak He's perfect, I love him! Can't wait to see more. :x

Figured I might as well drop this guy here. A Gunmaster I converted for my Greywater Fastness collection months ago, but only finished a couple of weeks ago to take to an event:

9LGnwil.jpg
y4cBWSQ.jpg
kA4soa7.jpg

When I originally converted this guy he was intended to be Valius Maliti, the architect who designed Greywater Fastness for Sigmar in the background for the Season of War summer campaign, only for the Disciples of Tzeentch book to then go and say Maliti had been the bloody Changeling all along! I figure he's now a good representation of one of Maliti's former apprentices, forced to hide his features beneath a metal mask after the Changeling disfigured him with warpflame on being unmasked.

Edited by Double Misfire
  • Like 7

21319268_10155722108788336_2894116008033949872_o.jpg

Anethum, Branchwych of The Graveroot Wargrove, Sylvaneth from The Harrowmark in the Realm of Death.

Most of the Harrowmark is virtually impenetrable forest: Seemingly endless miles of dark, tangled, twisted and unnatural forest. It is a corrupted land: the dead trees are warped by dark-magic, skull-formed rock formations and other symbols and motifs of death are everywhere. Things live in these forests: malignant, spiteful things. It is a brave soul that ventures under the dark bowers, brave or foolish, as few who attempt to navigate the winding pathways ever emerge again. The forests are shaped by the death magic that permeates them and the forest spirits that dwell within are equally affected.

+++

This warband is intended as a small group of NPCs for The Harrowmark: a maximum of 100 Renown for AoS Skirmish. I plan on getting up to three boxes of models and a Hero. This Branchwych, Kurnoth Hunters, Spite-Revenants and Dryads.

This idea owes a huge debt to Vikingpainting

• Like 5

7 hours ago, AlexRasmussen said:

This is the newest member of my Daughters of Khorne warband that I'm working on. I'm really excited to get back to working on this project as I've been sidetracked with painting other things recently. Here's the progress so far...

image1CROPPED.jpg

image2CROPPED.jpg

image3CROPPED.jpg

image4CROPPED.jpg

image5CROPPED.jpg

image6CROPPED.jpg

Fantastic! What mini is this? I like the Frazetta-ish style of the daughters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shenordak said:

Fantastic! What mini is this? I like the Frazetta-ish style of the daughters.

Thanks!! I'm not entirely sure which miniature it is. He's mostly comprised of random parts I received in a grab bag from Mierce Miniatures from the Infernii range. And yeah I've always drawn a lot of influence from Frazetta! He was such a fantastically talented artist!!

• Thanks 1

Hi guys.

Humble Bundle are currently doing a pretty good sale on the old warhammer RPG books, for the next few days. I've bought them to get some inspiration for AoS28, and I thought that some of you folks might want to get them too.

Dallo

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dallo said:

Humble Bundle are currently doing a pretty good sale on the old warhammer RPG books, for the next few days. I've bought them to get some inspiration for AoS28, and I thought that some of you folks might want to get them too.

Thanks for the heads up! Not into RPG, but it should be a great source of good fluff and pictures.... and so cheap.

On 31-8-2017 at 10:56 AM, Shenordak said:

Sorry to see this thread dying off, lets see if I can maybe provide some life support.

I've done some work on my Störnheer, the Duardin of the Rusted Shore. Will post a fuller write-up later some time. First my Umâk-Karahn, unforged. These tragic warriors are willingly possessed by daemons to tear the secrets of defeating them from their infernal minds. Not all survive the soul-rending rites of exorcism that musy follow.

IMG_20170628_080930_321.jpg

IMG_20170628_080930_335.jpg

IMG_20170628_080930_334.jpg

IMG_20170628_080930_324.jpg

This is exceptional! What is the base model? 

• Like 2

21616027_10155758717508336_7350132925604785663_n.jpg

21741057_10155753763873336_8586953536998328027_o.jpg

The children of the Everqueen take root in even the most barren soil; fallow fields sown with bones and watered with tears.

The wyldwoods of the Harrowmark are so cluttered with the remains of the unnumbered dead that the Sylvaneth that dwell within them have become amalgamations of wood, bones, burial goods and grave-shrouds. The often have skulls and bones tangled into their branches and limbs.

The 2nd and 3rd model in the Graveroot Wargrove, Sylvaneth from the Harrowmark, in the Realm of Death. Still WIP - greenstuff shrouds & crackle texture added.

More photos on my blog.
Edited by WarbossKurgan
  • Like 8

Finally finished the core of my FEC warband, The Ravenous Pilgrims. Enjoyed it so much that I'm planning a conversion-heavy army. Now, what's this about a monster competition? Sounds like King Gargantula the Pious himself is called upon....

IMG-20170921-WA0002.jpg

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2017 at 9:45 AM, Inquisitor Risium said:

These look amazing. AoS showing off a perfect mix of its fantastical weirdness combined with some more gritty looks

(all artwork from the Firestorm set)

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

You see? THIS is why I love Age of Sigmar. I only wish we could have better maps. But wow, LOOK AT THESE PLACES!!!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...