AoS28 - The Dark Age of Sigmar

Ben

A group of friends and I are about to play a 'path to glory' campaign based on the articles published in White Dwarf 275.

I am hoping to make as many figures I roll up as possible fit the AoS28 vibe for entry on this forum.

Here is my first entry, Grundog the Shunned.

Still working on the back story but should have it nailed down by the time he is painted.

P1180693.JPG

P1180691.JPG

P1180692.JPG

• Like 2

Decided against the shield for now but it can still be added in later.

Deep in the forest, next to a stagnant pool in a rotten copse, dead flesh and wood cling to each other in perverse imitation of life. Some say that they dance according to the whim of whatever killed the trees and poisoned the water.

bitterhart grove1.jpg

bitterhart grove2.jpg

• Like 18

I've painted a lot of bright stormcast and now I am working on a few tweaked, darker stormcast for AoS 28.

There will be 3 and each will lead a separate warband containing the dregs of order.

Whilst mystery is often cliché, it is also dark. Knowledge is the light. As such, to fit AoS 28 these 3 stormcast will be drenched in mystery.

Their heraldry is known - the chalice, Bronze with sea blue armour with orange trim. Outwardly bright, inwardly dark.

They share nothing with their warbands.

They seldom meet with other stormcast but if they were to meet they would be nearly as stoic as with the lesser folk of the realms.

If forced to, or if it serves their end goal, they will let it be known that their Warrior Chamber is "Equites Calice" and nothing more.

For once this information is shared, no more questions are forthcoming. Their fellow stormcast understand. Or at least they think they do.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OrfeoCulzean said:

Decided against the shield for now but it can still be added in later.

Deep in the forest, next to a stagnant pool in a rotten copse, dead flesh and wood cling to each other in perverse imitation of life. Some say that they dance according to the whim of whatever killed the trees and poisoned the water.

bitterhart grove1.jpg

bitterhart grove2.jpg

These look fabulous! The conversions look so natural and the colour scheme fit them perfectly, really giving the impression of rotten wood.

All in all great work, what's next on the workbench?

Hagen

Edited by Hagen
  • Like 1

I really need to get moving with my warband building. Theres so many nice thing on this thread!

For a tzeench warband you would think converting would come naturally, however its really difficult! A friend just handed me a start collecting Tzeentch Daemons set and an ogroid thurmaturge as well. ~Which gives me alot more to build than expected.

Just out of interest theres two questions i have. Does anyone know a good place to get bird heads or bird shaped helmets for some chaos warriors. And secondly (not PETA related :P) a technique for removing the fur details from the warriors of chaos shoulders and extending their cloaks over the houlders. (they will be painted in a similar scheme to the Heide knights from Darksouls 2)

Gratzie :D

Edited by Grand Exemplar

15 minutes ago, Hagen said:

All in all great work, what's next on the workbench?

My next warband is currently going by the title Thi Worlde Yt Turnt Upsyde Down, and if you think 'Realms of Chaos mutation tables' you're on the right track.

6 minutes ago, Grand Exemplar said:

Does anyone know a good place to get bird heads or bird shaped helmets for some chaos warriors.

You could look at the Puppetswar Horus Head Set, although those are more Stargate themed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OrfeoCulzean said:

bitterhart grove1.jpg

bitterhart grove2.jpg

These look great. I have a similar idea for a Nurgle force, but you beat me to it!

So much cool stuff here. Amazing work!

I'm thinking of making a warband of retainers both living and undead from a decaying manor house, lost somewhere in the endless marshes. I don't know the AoS setting well enough to be sure that it's got somewhere like that, but there seems to be room for a bit of everything that's suitably grotesque.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Toby said:

I'm thinking of making a warband of retainers both living and undead from a decaying manor house, lost somewhere in the endless marshes. I don't know the AoS setting well enough to be sure that it's got somewhere like that, but there seems to be room for a bit of everything that's suitably grotesque.

Just do it anyway, don't let the notion of lore hold you back. The idea sounds amazing.

Remember to post pictures ;)

36 minutes ago, Toby said:

So much cool stuff here. Amazing work!

Don't worry. AOS has room for any setting. With 8 almost endless mortal realms that have things like floating islands, hollow moons,  oceans of acid and LOADS of other random cool stuff in, you can pretty come up with anything and it will fit in lore wise.

Very small update on my Luminarchate... Second paladin done!

I am very happy with the look of them, they suit my idea of a Chaos Warrior of the Law (though I guess that is exactly what Stormcasts are supposed to be).

Bits come from all over the place, legs are from the Phoenix Guards (incredibly versatile kit), torso is the Skitarii Sicarian Princeps, arms from the skitarii rangers, shield and icons from the Knights Excelsior upgrade pack and finally the head, the most complicated bit, is a bretonnian man at arms with a MKIII Iron Armour faceplate fro the Burning of Prospero kit... Which is quite fitting as my Luminarchate draws quite a lot of inspiration from pre-heresy Prospero in terms of aesthetic, costumes and mysterious sects.

Pics are black and white to give a slight feel of Iron Sleet beauty and mystery, but mostly to hide the flaws of my very poor phone pics :)

Hagen

20170213_192911.jpg

20170213_192924.jpg

20170213_192932.jpg

Edited by Hagen
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Hagen said:

20170213_192924.jpg

Beautiful, as are all your conversions. Really seamless. I'm interested abou the hose on the torso though - to my mind these details can be overlooked or explained, but personally I would tend to cover them over with fur or bitz. If you are keeping it, how will you paint it?

Im planning to start an aos28 warband based around Hammerhal. I plan to have hammerhal as not what it seems; i want it to (unknown to the citizens) have a huge underground prison holding a being of great power, but i dont want it to be a random monster. Im thinking  possibly the changeling (caught in hammerhal, but the public were told he escaped to limit fear, ) . Ideas or other suggestions?

6 minutes ago, MegabossChompa said:

Im planning to start an aos28 warband based around Hammerhal. I plan to have hammerhal as not what it seems; i want it to (unknown to the citizens) have a huge underground prison holding a being of great power, but i dont want it to be a random monster. Im thinking  possibly the changeling (caught in hammerhal, but the public were told he escaped to limit fear, ) . Ideas or other suggestions?

New ideas: could contain slaanesh!? Could have been built (prison, not hammerhal) in the age of myth when the pantheon was together to hold gorkamorka if he got out of control? Could hold a stormhost gone wrong? Any ideas?

23 hours ago, Toby said:

The shadow realm is largely uncovered sounds like it would fit right in. A dark mansion in endless marshes. Nowhere to go not even in death....

Sounds perfect to me :D 

@Evz22 by double clicking pictures when in text you can edit the sizes :) hope that helps and otherwise let me know. 

Edited by Kramer

Thanks everyone. Here is a bit of background to the warband:

Deep in the marshes, in the shadow of Mount Stirben, Fort Dirge rises from the dank ground like a molar in a decomposing jaw. The locals, when they speak about it at all, say that two daemons fought in the marshland in an age long past, and sank into the ground as they wrestled. They claim that Fort Dirge is twice cursed: not only is it rotting, but its seems to change shape from day to day. The grounds are impossible to map, doors open onto rooms that should not be there, and for an outsider to step inside the mansion risks them never being able to leave again.

For the inhabitants of the fortress, though, it is business as usual. The mansion tolerates them, and they are tied to it. Clovis, Count Dirge, sits in his gun room and polishes his metal leg by the firelight, dreaming of the day when he will take revenge on the swamp-dragon that bit it off. Eliza Dirge, his daughter, has retired to the vaults to work on her alchemy. In the warren of passages, the servants whisper bad news to one another: Lady Anastasia, the count's mother, has been sighted on the second floor, brooding and complaining, seemingly unable to grasp the fact that, for the last few decades, she has been dead.

58a4c2728c2a2_LadyDirgeWIP.jpg.d5bbc4c8e011e96d2e27acf99089e0b3.jpg

This model was made out of the base of a High Elf wizard and an old West Wind vampire. By complete chance they seemed to go quite well together. I washed her with strongtone to bring out the detail but she'll still need painting. I'm thinking of a greenish-white like the ghosts in Return of the King.

Edited by Toby
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, OrfeoCulzean said:

That's a really seamless conversion, I can't wait to see it painted up.

Thanks Mate. I am planning to start painting it soon, but first I want to complete at least three of them. As a colour scheme I was thinking to keep the palette down to two main colours... This is a change for my usual "Golden Rule of Three", that is using three contrasting main colours on a model and work with them to achieve a coherent result. This time though I want to test myself with an almost monochrome (bichrome I guess) palette of white and gold, but trying to infuse a bit of golden luminescence to the white as well... It's going to be an experiment so I am not entirely sure whether it is going to work as I imagine, but I am quite determined to try something slightly different from my usual models on the Luminarchate. 

15 hours ago, Bruticus said:

Beautiful, as are all your conversions. Really seamless. I'm interested abou the hose on the torso though - to my mind these details can be overlooked or explained, but personally I would tend to cover them over with fur or bitz. If you are keeping it, how will you paint it?

Hey Jake, thanks for your comment. I guess you are referring to the circular detail in the middle of the breastplate? I slightly resculpted to look like a gem instead of a hole to accomodate a pipe. I thought it would have looked nice to have something contrasting right in the middle of the model, I hope that the finished result will turn out as planned... The only hose/cable I left on the model is the one which is visible on the left side of the model (to the right in the picture), under his breastplate where I hanged an archaic looking key as a symbol of the goddess Arianka (more on her in next updates). This is going to be painted as a sort of rope/rosary and again I hope it will be clearly non-40k on the finished model.