New 2k list mixed death

Ao_Death

I have been kicking around an idea for a new list. My current list (legion of death, vlozd, necro, vargheist, and Mortis E) has proven great at fighting Ironjawz and some mixed destruction.  (I have yet to face BCR or cunnin ruk)

However one match with my 1k legion of death list against some storm bros made it abundantly clear how much I rely on keeping my wight king safe at any point level... (plz no more meteors)

*Beware this list is an abomination from a lore perspective*

Allegiance: Death

Leaders
Coven Throne (260)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Cursed Book
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (340)
Necromancer (120)
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120) (w/ ib)
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (400)
- Artefact: Cloak of Mists and Shadows

Battleline
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
- Ancient Spear
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Black Knights (120)
- Deathrattle Battleline

Units
10 x Grave Guard (160)
- Great Wight Blade

Battalions
Legion of Death (60)

Total: 1980/2000

I think this list should serve well against most lists and most ghb scenarios. The idea is to run as many high priority targets as possible while not relying on any one model to function. Focusing on abusing the magic phase.

I have a few concerns about the list, mainly does the loss of the coven throne wreck me? If so how do I mitigate? Is it too greedy to run 30 skels and 10 GG rather than 40/5? 

Thoughts?

You need 10gg in my opinion, otherwise they can be easily chewed through before they even get a chance to swing.

Why is the coven throne the general? It's command ability isn't great. Wouldn't it be better to make the wight king general to give your units +1 attack?

And why Arkhan? He's great In a summoning list but is expensive here - if you want two spells you'd be better off with two vampire lords or kemmler.

The gkozd also doesn't seem to have a lot of synergy? Why not the vampire lord? 

2 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

You need 10gg in my opinion, otherwise they can be easily chewed through before they even get a chance to swing.

Why is the coven throne the general? It's command ability isn't great. Wouldn't it be better to make the wight king general to give your units +1 attack?

And why Arkhan? He's great In a summoning list but is expensive here - if you want two spells you'd be better off with two vampire lords or kemmler.

The gkozd also doesn't seem to have a lot of synergy? Why not the vampire lord? 

The problem with the wight king is he has 5 wounds with a 4 up. If there is not a good hiding spot for him he is toast or useless.

That leaves either arkhan, agkozd, or skeletons. So I figured the coven throne essentially adds plus 1 to initiative has 12 wounds with a 4 up to try and preserve my ruler of the night.

Thats where Arkhan comes in he can use beguile on a 4+ and has a 16in move. It shouldn't be too much trouble to either shut down my opponents best unit or at least zone like a boss. (He also can be the target of vhdm which boosts his dmg from enimic to acceptable)

The gkozd  (or tg if I need a tougher monster) is really just a damage dealer and can punish mistakes with the Cloak. He has some small synergy with arkhan as AtB can cast the gk spell on the gk, pick up mystic shield, teleport with the Cloak then arcane bolt to add a bit more punch on the alpha strike. I would run the vampire lord but I can't find 20 pts...

All of this to buy the legion an extra turn or two to get into position and clean up.

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon  is a bad take in my opinion. drop it and grab a mourngul. its way better value for 400 points and its really good at supporting hordes. also running skelly's in tens has never worked for me once, ruining 2 sets of 20  and one throw away set of ten might work a little better.  oh and if you have a infernal banner you can just stick the wight King with in his -1 bubble and that way you can also take him as your leader, do not forget that the wight King has between 7 and 10 wouds because he is half's them and with the mourngul protecting him he becomes much harder to get rid of.

The Legion of death formation has so much tax force with black knights and grave guard. While the extra 4" move in hero phase is great it is nothing spectacular. And since they are nearly all one wound models extra 1 refen within 9" of wight king is nothing too big either imo. If you drop the battalion, black knights and gg, you can spend 340 points elsewhere ( Blood knights 260 pts, extra 10 skeletons for the 30 strong skeleton unit is 80 points)
Arkhan has no value with your list since you do not summon. So dropping him gives you another 340 points (260 for second blood knights)

You can spend the remaining points to take a VLoZD instead of GKoTG and have 60 points for summon. I think minimum 60 points of summon is necessary for Death players to summon a chaff zombie unit or summon a wraith for three places of power. You can change thre 10 strong skeletons to zombies to gain another 40 points too.

2 hours ago, Razorfate said:

The Legion of death formation has so much tax force with black knights and grave guard. While the extra 4" move in hero phase is great it is nothing spectacular. And since they are nearly all one wound models extra 1 refen within 9" of wight king is nothing too big either imo. If you drop the battalion, black knights and gg, you can spend 340 points elsewhere ( Blood knights 260 pts, extra 10 skeletons for the 30 strong skeleton unit is 80 points)
Arkhan has no value with your list since you do not summon. So dropping him gives you another 340 points (260 for second blood knights)

You can spend the remaining points to take a VLoZD instead of GKoTG and have 60 points for summon. I think minimum 60 points of summon is necessary for Death players to summon a chaff zombie unit or summon a wraith for three places of power. You can change thre 10 strong skeletons to zombies to gain another 40 points too.

I agree to a certain extent about the legion, black knights have a hard time generating value. Although as @CoffeeGrunt has pointed out they are not without merit. I do like gg quite a bit they hit very hard for their points imo. Can 40 skeletons really do enough work without movement tricks? 

Also is Arkhan really that bad? +2 to casting plus potentially adding a ton of spell reach with creative   positioning seems like it could be worth it. Any thoughts? I haven't played him so I am legitimately curious... Otherwise it seems like I could drop him drop the legion add a vloat and go from there.

5 hours ago, anangrywalrus said:

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon  is a bad take in my opinion. drop it and grab a mourngul. its way better value for 400 points and its really good at supporting hordes. also running skelly's in tens has never worked for me once, ruining 2 sets of 20  and one throw away set of ten might work a little better.  oh and if you have a infernal banner you can just stick the wight King with in his -1 bubble and that way you can also take him as your leader, do not forget that the wight King has between 7 and 10 wouds because he is half's them and with the mourngul protecting him he becomes much harder to get rid of.

A Mourngul would be pretty sick! Though not sure if that really helps the case for the wight king though as keeping him out of combat is easy but keeping him out of shooting/magic is the problem. 

The two units of ten skeletons  are just there for the legion of death but perhaps the whole batalion will get cut as @Razorfate sugested.

Archived