Waywatchers Minimum Unit Size Discrepancy

awcamawn

Question

The Pitched Battle Profiles section of the General's Handbook lists the Wood Elves compendium unit "Waywatchers" (emphasis on the "s") as having a minimum unit size of 3 models for 80pts.

The warscroll for Waywatchers says: "A unit of Waywatchers has 5 or more models."

Does the text on page 106 of the General's Hanbook "Each unit in a Pitched Battle is assigned a points value and a minimum and maximum unit size see (pages 129-152)" establish new unit sizes for use in Pitched Battles that are simply different than normal? I know of examples like Liberators where the minimum unit size is increased from Warscroll to Pitched Battle Profile but I could not find any other examples where Pitched Battle Profile minimum was actually less than the warscroll.

Does this mean I can play one and only one unit of 3 Waywatchers for an 80pt Battleline per the under-strength units rule? All the list building tools I've tried seem to allow units of 3 but I don't think that means too much.  Would the following list be legal?

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
Waywatcher (100)
The Sisters of Twilight on Forest Dragon (420)

Battleline
3 x Waywatchers (80)
3 x Waywatchers (80)

Units
5 x Wardancers (60)
5 x Wardancers (60)
5 x Wardancers (60)
5 x Wardancers (60)

Total: 1000/1000

6 answers to this question

There's no concept of supercession in AoS rules. The minimum in the GHB is the granularity of cost to number of models.
The minimum unit size for Waywatchers is 5 models as per the warscroll, but in matched play you would have to pay for 6 even if you only took 5, in the same way you have discrepancies with Retributors or Dryads.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, BaldoBeardo said:

There's no concept of supercession in AoS rules. The minimum in the GHB is the granularity of cost to number of models.
The minimum unit size for Waywatchers is 5 models as per the warscroll, but in matched play you would have to pay for 6 even if you only took 5, in the same way you have discrepancies with Retributors or Dryads.

6 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

(Sorry, but…) *intents and purposes

FWIW I think @BaldoBeardo has it right, rules-as-written. I suspect most people would happily go with @KHHaunts' interpretation, though. At least for casual play. Might be best to check with the organiser before trying that in a tournament, though.

In that case i think its a very divided issue as most people ive encountered would argue that if playing through pitched battle as per the generals handbook with the points from the generals handbook then an argument can qite easily be made for using the requirements as stated in that book.

Ill admit its not clear cut and dry but while there might not be a official concept of supercession i think its incorrect to say that their isent one at all.

Plenty of warscrolls have been changed and with a second GHB on the way many tournaments and individuals alike with prefer for players to stick with the "latest edition" even if that isent a GW enforced rule.

@BaldoBeardo perhaps i am misinterpreting your intention but.

to me it seems that suggesting that the GHB saying that a unit min is 3 is not valid would imply that the unit max isent because it dosent sate one on the warscroll.

In other words i would expect (And have done from casual to competition) used the GHB as the basis of my army building which has not only been accepted but expected.

GHB doesn't override warscrolls, and lots of people thinking the solution is X doesn't mean it is.

How your group play is down to them, but as Dryads and Retributors (as examples) appear to be used in this way by Tourneys then it's the same logic that would apply here.

18 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

GHB doesn't override warscrolls, and lots of people thinking the solution is X doesn't mean it is.

How your group play is down to them, but as Dryads and Retributors (as examples) appear to be used in this way by Tourneys then it's the same logic that would apply here.

Thats fair enough.

The point is though that unless a tourney clears it up themselves then this is a subject that is certainly open to a fair amount of interpretation.

I think unless your playing tourneys people just need to be prepared to fall back on the "talk" as the solution.

Archived