Anyone else intimidated b Tzaangors painting-wise?

MiniJunkie

I was originally looking at those alternative schemes and such but now I'm starting to realize the reason I dig the Tzeentch stuff is that sweet sweet blue and gold.  I think I may go for a Thousand Sons scheme for that armour now.  I'm worried about doing blue on blue, but if I keep the skins light and the armour dark maybe it won't look like a smudged mess?

11 hours ago, Goodwin said:

I was originally looking at those alternative schemes and such but now I'm starting to realize the reason I dig the Tzeentch stuff is that sweet sweet blue and gold.  I think I may go for a Thousand Sons scheme for that armour now.  I'm worried about doing blue on blue, but if I keep the skins light and the armour dark maybe it won't look like a smudged mess?

Blue on blue works really well. I just find it's all about painting the two areas in completely different ways. My Tzaangor armour is Kantor blue (shaded and highlighted) whereas my skin is actually Fenrisian Grey, which is probably the most blue grey GW do.

The key is to make the different areas look like different materials. My armour is glazed and then has a few edge highlights, whereas the skin is pretty much area highlights with maybe one edge. This makes the skin look softer overall.

Here's a pic of how my blue on blue turns out.

IMG_2796.JPG

10 hours ago, Changer said:

Blue on blue works really well. I just find it's all about painting the two areas in completely different ways. My Tzaangor armour is Kantor blue (shaded and highlighted) whereas my skin is actually Fenrisian Grey, which is probably the most blue grey GW do.

The key is to make the different areas look like different materials. My armour is glazed and then has a few edge highlights, whereas the skin is pretty much area highlights with maybe one edge. This makes the skin look softer overall.

Here's a pic of how my blue on blue turns out.

IMG_2796.JPG

I tried Liking this like 9 times but it didn't work.

Thanks a lot for the tip.  I think I will definitly shoot for something similar to that.  Its pretty well exactly what I was thinking.  The glazing and edging seems a little high class for me, but I think it may be worth learning some new techniques for these guys.

Thanks so much!

I am currently workin on some Enlightened and undercoated whie and used blue washes on the skin followed by some very quick highlights with some of the layer paints. The metal is silver with gold edgeing. Still early days on this pic but getting there! The gems will be getting the new red GW gem paint eyes will be red too and spear is getting some blood effect.

Really good inspiration on this tread, keep up the great work everyone! I still have 5 more enlightened, 6 skyfires and two shamans to do! O.o

IMG_3660.JPG

Archived