Are the rumormongers getting lazy.

KHHaunts

Perhaps its just me.

But it seems to me that ever since the inception of warhammer community, the AOS facebook page and the rumor engine that the rumor sites dont tend to be quite as "on it" as they used to be.

Without going into pre AOS i remember seeing the blurry image of Archaon appearing on the web well before his model was released just like the magmadroths and stardrakes. Along with lots of predictions many of which prooved correct.

Now i feel as if the rumors have turned into waiting for the rumor engine/ FB posts and then discussing and repeat.

Is it really a rumor if GW shows you it. Or is that a teaser?

Im sure its Gw's intention to control the "Rumors" but i find myself dissapointed by the rumor sites when they say "This Awesome unit is coming" only for it to appear on the offical channels 5 minutes later.

What to people think?

Its not the end of the world either way.

Just been bugging me . . . .

Can you please be a bit more specific? Are you saying you "want" to see more non-WHCommunity rumors from various sources, or leaked pics early, or random blocks of text? Honestly curious, as the line to me between a rumor/link/leak/tease/speculate/BS, etc. has been blurred now with GW responding to any rumor with a boss video. Like, review copies would say something in a review then The Internet would call it a leak or rumor even though it was direct from a book in-hand. Just curious. New territory with GW here and still settling for some, I suppose. It seems as of January review copies are coming later, like a day or two before the pre-release date. Not sure about pure-AoS review copies.

I think GW has done really well in recent months to get ahead of the rumour engine. It's a sensible step for them at the moment as AoS is established, people are picking up new armies and it's attracting new players. 

If 40k is moving towards a major shift in rules, it would make sense to keep that quiet as it would deter people from investing in it until the new edition ships. 

So from my PoV, there's little on the rumour sites for AoS as GW are revealing that ahead of or along with them, as there's no financial risk for them to do so. Knowing Dwarves around the corner aren't going to stop a Tzeentch player from investing in Tzeentch. 

But we ought to be seeing more speculative 40k rumours than we currently are. 

6 minutes ago, Veterannoob said:

Can you please be a bit more specific? Are you saying you "want" to see more non-WHCommunity rumors from various sources, or leaked pics early, or random blocks of text? Honestly curious, as the line to me between a rumor/link/leak/tease/speculate/BS, etc. has been blurred now with GW responding to any rumor with a boss video. Like, review copies would say something in a review then The Internet would call it a leak or rumor even though it was direct from a book in-hand. Just curious. New territory with GW here and still settling for some, I suppose. It seems as of January review copies are coming later, like a day or two before the pre-release date. Not sure about pure-AoS review copies.

Sorry i thought the title made my position clear.

Im saying that ive seen not only a lack of leaks since the engine etc came about but also just a general lack of rumors in general.

Now its just about waiting for what GW drip feed us. Speculate for a bit. The repeat the process.

Im not saying its not a smart move by GW and im not saying they have done anything misleading or wrong.

I just dont like the idea of a teaser becoming passable as an actual rumor/leak and noone making an attempt to find out what the future holds.

again not anoyed with GW for doing it. Atleast we get something consistant and concreate. But I hope that dosent stop people finding real leaks and rumors for us to discuss and talk over.

Just think its way more fun.

8 minutes ago, KHHaunts said:

Sorry i thought the title made my position clear.

Im saying that ive seen not only a lack of leaks since the engine etc came about but also just a general lack of rumors in general.

Now its just about waiting for what GW drip feed us. Speculate for a bit. The repeat the process.

Im not saying its not a smart move by GW and im not saying they have done anything misleading or wrong.

I just dont like the idea of a teaser becoming passable as an actual rumor/leak and noone making an attempt to find out what the future holds.

again not anoyed with GW for doing it. Atleast we get something consistant and concreate. But I hope that dosent stop people finding real leaks and rumors for us to discuss and talk over.

Just think its way more fun.

Oh, all good ;) just asking is all. For me just curious as the terms used for leaks/rumors/etc. are different around online where I would have thought so that's all.

Games workshop cut out the middle man and took their job away from them. 
Why do damage control over leaked rumours when you can leak or announce them yourselves weeks aheads of time, drum up your own interest ,get traffic through your own sites and also build up good will for yourself. 

BoLS has always been lazy, but lately they are just reposting utter speculation from their own comments section because warhammer community is beating them to the punch every time. 

27 minutes ago, nicromancer said:

Games workshop cut out the middle man and took their job away from them. 
Why do damage control over leaked rumours when you can leak or announce them yourselves weeks aheads of time, drum up your own interest ,get traffic through your own sites and also build up good will for yourself. 

BoLS has always been lazy, but lately they are just reposting utter speculation from their own comments section because warhammer community is beating them to the punch every time. 

Again im not critizing GW or their reasons for doing it.

I just now they have done it seems the rumor fairies have stopped trying.

I was half expecting to get rumors of rumors.

Just now, KHHaunts said:

Again im not critizing GW or their reasons for doing it.

In fact i always wondered why they didnt do something similat

Its just now they have done it seems the rumor fairies have stopped trying.

I was half expecting to get rumors of rumors.

To be honest. I always suspected games workshop staff being the people and doing the leaks on purpose to gauge demand and build hype. 

As it's completely dried up now as you said.

We used to know what was in the next week's white dwarf before reading the current weeks..

The rumor engine is terrible tbh, it shows one sprue part, we used to get blurry photos of entire pages.

For me, this points to a decision to stop bothering rather than running out of info.

22 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

I used to love finding out tidbits all over the web. A lot of them were absolute rubbish but it was the thrill of the hunt. I do love the way GW operate now but I will always secretly lament the old community hunting. 

Me too! Finding crazy tidbits on backwater blogs and sharing was a lot of fun for me. If we had leaks like the old days, I'd know better what to expect from the new Dwarfs and I'd be saving appropriately. However I don't have a good idea, and instead of saving that money I'm buying Star Wars Destiny...and admittedly Blood Bowl :) So I guess they are making a bit of the money, and losing some.

I hope the Golem of Grungni is not on tracks like that old picture...

Part of the issue you're having is that every time actual pictures show up, the Warhammer Community team coopts the leak and publishes real stuff. Magnus and the Stormcast Vanguard are just two examples. Rather than letting rumours stew forever, they publish articles/videos within hours of the leak. It steals the leaker's thunder.

I think the budgeting point is fair. For BL they give us a few months out for budgeting so that's cool, though you can usually pre-order immediately. But yeah, from 2012-14 I had a Dwarf Fund for Fantasy which I was tempted to dip into many many times. On the other side Privateer Press releases (think they still do with MK3 but not completely sure, tbh) and you would know something's coming but the impulse buy was gone and to some (like my cohost) the excitement died off a couple months before sale.xD

2 minutes ago, Dez said:

I heard that GW has a new army called The Rumormongers that will be playable in all systems. Funny enough, they do resemble trolls. Some say it's rethought Merman Army. 

I meant believable rumors that would outrage the community but have some realistic merit to them.

Like "I have it on good authority from my buddy who works in the front office that there won't be any Steamhead Duardin. Instead there will be a Battletome Duardin that rolls Dispossessed, Fyreslayers, and Ironweld Arsenel into one fighting faction."

12 minutes ago, Veterannoob said:

Don't have one to preview, sorry to say. :(

Are they no longer putting out "preview releases", or was it never really official in the first place? Or is it just this one that you're not getting?

I was really looking forward to some leaks to tide me over for a week :( 

I think GW's been a lot smarter with their handling of rumours lately - publishing pics and info on the Warhammer Community site when leaks happen rather than ignoring the leaks entirely which is awesome, and teasing new stuff themselves which gets people excited and talking. I'm really liking this approach, even if it has left the rumour mongers with not much to say at times!

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Are they no longer putting out "preview releases", or was it never really official in the first place? Or is it just this one that you're not getting?

I was really looking forward to some leaks to tide me over for a week :( 

Still send out emails for releases though nothing in past week. No rhyme or reason really to who gets what from what I've seen with some others. But who am I to turn away a review copy, whenever it arrives, if it does. :) 

I suspect it was more to do with the switch from weekly to monthly white dwarf, assuming it wasn't GW releasing blurry photos themselves the vast majority of blurry photos come from white dwarfs that had yet to be released, and since they were basically catalogues for upcoming releases and had to be printed months in advance they were perfect for rumours, most of which dried up after the switch to monthly.  

At least that's my theory on it anyway.

Archived