Trying To Get Back On After 17 Years

DGH875

Hello, just signed up here as I've been lurking for a couple of weeks. Now to introduce myself...I live in West Sussex, UK. 

It's been quite a while since I left the hobby as a teenager. I started playing Hero Quest and Space Crusade, I then progressed onto 40k (2nd and 3rd edition), Necormunda and Bloof Bowl. I played a few WHFB 4th edition games using my friends armies. I stopped playing as a was in the final years of school. 

Over the last couple of years I got back into reading stuff online on the well known rumour websites and found myself looking at GW stuff online more and more. 

I have been tempted to get back into 40k (I know!) but reading all the negative comments about 40K online put me off... So I decided to look more towards AOS as there seems to be a lot more positiveness in people's comments. 

I started reading the rules, and really liked how simple it seems and how readily available it all is. Also all the new models have come a long way since I played and GW games! So just before Christmas I decided that I'd pick up a few paints etc and a box of Kurnoth Hunters as have a go and getting back into it. It's taken me about a month but they are almost finished, didn't t like it at first but got into it and I really enjoyed it, despite being a little rusty at modelling. 

Moving forward I thought I'd like to painting some Slannesh Deamons maybe progressing into making an army and potentially playing some games. I quite like the look of the 1000 point army thread, as it would be good starting point and be nice to share my progress with people on here.  

Anyway, if you got this far thanks for reading and hope to read and post some more in the future as I find my way round. 

Welcome to the forum bud, glad you found us [emoji4]

Welcome back to the hobby, you are not the only one to have fallen off the wagon

Thanks, I'm hoping I can keep it up. Things have changed a lot since I last was in the hobby. I have a lot less time to do it, but more money to fund it. Expecting a delivery today with some new minis in it.

5 hours ago, DGH875 said:

Thanks, I'm hoping I can keep it up. Things have changed a lot since I last was in the hobby. I have a lot less time to do it, but more money to fund it. Expecting a delivery today with some new minis in it.

I know how you feel, more money but less time. i just do what I can and fit it in, I have found that just painting in an evening has been a good way to relax after a busy day. 

Hope you share a few images...

Hey, similar story here.

Stopped playing in 1996 when my band split up for studies. Got reunited a few months ago over AOS.

Since we are now three people playing we always play multiplayer scenarios. They turn out to be immense fun as almost invariable they are self balanced. 

Compared to cumbersome 5th edition we used to play back then, we love how fast pacing and flexible AOS is. 

And modelling-wise...wow... The hobby has evolved immensely.

Welcome back!

Welcome back! 

I'm a somewhat similar story. Stopped in my late teens probably a little into 7th edition and started up again last year, always had a quick look at what was happening in my time away. 

AOS is a simple yet deep game which I find much more enjoyable than any of the previous games I played. 

Similar as well in terms of more money but less time. For me I simply switched up any reading time for audio books and listened when I paint. In fact I need a audio book or podcast or I can't paint for longer than 20 mins. While I really enjoy painting, some parts of projects feel like a chore but not if I'm really into the audio book and I totally phase out. 

Hope you share a few images...

Here you go, not finished as need to get some basing materials. 1st mini painted after 17 or so years, hoping to improve as I'm a little rusty.
40183469be3790c608e5cbe8d707c983.jpg

Also thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I need to find some local players.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived