Da Frozen Sunz - 24/11 - Shadespire orruks done!

tuorgustavo

Hey folks!

I´m new to the whole AoS and painting miniatures thing. I started playing and painting last year and this is my first army.

My goal was to make a winter themed orruk army, something like the Vanilla World of Warcraft Frostwolf Clan, but changed my mind in the process when I saw how dark blue and light blue contrasted so poorly with green on the minis.

I haven´t gave much thought on the background of my warclan yet, but it will be taken care of in the future, something like if they used to live in the high frozen peaks of the realm and eventually came donw to WAAAGHHH! against any and every foe. The only thing that I decided about lore is that the unit bosses, heroes and so may wield weapons and armor made somekind of everlasting ice.

Battle reports and more paintings photos may come in a near future.

With no further dues, meet Da Frozen Sunz! 

WAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!

I gave a ultra heavy corax white undercoat in these ardboyz (rookie mistake), so a lost a lot of depth and details in them, but I got pretty happy with the end result.

It is still need to paint the icy weapon on the boss and decide the warclan logo, but everything else is ready.

Their weapon of choice is 6 big choppas or smashas and 4 orrurk forged shield.

IMG_20170129_152629.jpg

IMG_20170129_152452.jpg

IMG_20170129_152408.jpg

IMG_20170129_152314.jpg

IMG_20170129_152217.jpg

IMG_20170129_152203.jpg

IMG_20170129_152146.jpg

Looking great so far bud, funky colour scheme you have going only thing I would recommend is darkening/dulling the flesh tone slightly so it doesn't battle the armours visuals. Looking forward to watching your progresss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/31/2017 at 0:10 PM, tuorgustavo said:

I'm working on it. A new Warchanter holding icy gork and mork stick is on the way! 

I actually really like the bones as they are - for a first-time painter the bone effect is very convincing. Also enjoying the bright primary colour look, which is fairly uncommon. Puts me in mind of a Bloodbowl team, and makes your Orruks look like they're having a damn fun time!

Some update on my slow growing army. 

Just finished my 2nd warchanter, holding icy gork and mork sticks and the icy boss axe the ardboyz unit.

Pretty happy with the end result of the ice effect.

Now to Megaboss, gargant and brutes!

PS: I hate basing but I kinda enjoyed how this chanter base came together.

IMG_20170213_132804.jpg

IMG_20170213_132739.jpg

IMG_20170213_132553.jpg

IMG_20170213_132542.jpg

IMG_20170213_132527.jpg

IMG_20170213_132336.jpg

IMG_20170213_165719.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Battle reports!

A local game store organized a 1k mini tournament, it was more an AoS focused game day than a tournament per say. I got very excited about that cause I finally had enough units assembled to field a 1k army. So, my first battles with my Ironjawz army.

#1 Vs Spiderfang Grots
The first battle of the day was a civil war xD. We rolled for terrain and  3/5 were sinister, 1 arcane and 1 deadly. I won the dice roll, chose the side closest to the arcane and fielded:

Megaboss -  general - ravager - battle brew
Warchanter
Wierdnob - talisman of protection
10x ardboyz - 4 shields, 6 big choppas (with boss leader, drummer, and banner)
5x brutes - 2 choppas, boss klaw and gore choppa
3x gore gruntas -  pig iron choppa
Ironfist battalion

The spiderfang were:
Aracnarok
Grot big boss on gigantic spider -  general - battle brew
3 x 10 Grot spider rider.

The battle plan was blood and glory. I deployed my ardboyz and shaman near the left objective on my side, very close to the arcane scenery. The others I deployed 10" of them in the middle of the field. My opponent did something similar but he finished first, but he gave me turn one. I used Megaboss command ability and got 1 extra attack for everyone, tried - and failed - to cast foot of gork one unit of spider riders and did some good moves with ravager and Ironfist, although I wasn't able to get close enough to charge, even with the gruntas. So I finished my turn and the spiders came fast. My gruntas and brutes were caught by one unit of riders buffed by the Aracnarok, they missed the shooting and were able to put 2 wounds in the brutes and 2 on the gruntas. Then I activated my gruntas and killed 2 riders, then the brutes killed 4 more and battle shock took another 3 of them. I lost the second turn and the second unit of riders closed in into my brutes while the Grot Boss went close to gruntas and Megaboss and the 3rd unit reached my shaman and ardboyz. 2 ardboyz lost, 2 wounds on the shaman and 6 riders dead. 1 brute and grunta also died with the other riders and Grot boss. My second turn and started almost the same, but arcane blasted the riders and finished the ones close to the Boyz. Also charged Megaboss and gruntas on the Grot big boss Gruntas. Megaboss finished him and got that sweet extra hit. The brutes were truly brutal with the 2nd unit of riders and almost wiped them. I had 3/4 objectives by the end of the turn and my adversary only hand 2 riders and the Aracnarok against my whole force.

A major victory for the orruks! I got pretty happy with the result, but I forgot to use battle brew reroll of 1s for the brutes when close to Megaboss.

#2 battle - Stormcast Eternals

The second round of the day started and I was going to face an experienced ultra-competitive stormcast player.

My army was the same  as before

Megaboss - general - ravager - battle brew
Warchanter
Wierdnob - talisman of protection
10x ardboyz - 4 shields, 6 big choppas (with boss leader, drummer, and banner)
5x brutes - 2 choppas, boss klaw and gore choppa
3x gore gruntas - pig iron choppa
Ironfist battalion

The stormcast were:
Lord celestant on dracoth ( no idea which command, artifact, but he was using the new battletome)
Lord relictor
2 fulminators
5 retributors
2x 5 liberator with great sword
1 gryph hound

The battle plan was border war, 3 sinister 2 deadly terrains. I started deploying and did almost the same. Ardboyz and shaman to hold my objective, gruntas on the right and brutes and Megaboss on the right. He put the fulminators on the same side of the gruntas, the 10 liberators in a row with celestant and relictor behind them. The gryph hound and retributors were waiting to deep strike. He finished first and gave me first turn, waaaaghed everyone with 1 extra attack and mystic shield the brutes. Ravager and Ironfist took me to the center objectives but no charges. I scored 5 points and finished my round. No deep strike for his 1st turn, lost 1 grunta to the fulminators, 1 brute to liberators. He scored 1 point. I got turn 2, waaaaghed and got 2 extra attacks for everything. The shaman mystic shielded the brutes, I forgot battle brew again =(. Only 1 liberator survived, celestant had 2 wounds left. His activation came at a high cost. 1 brute, 1 grunta, and Megaboss down to 2 wounds. I got 3 points and was done. He finished my gruntas with the fulminators on shooting and closed in with them and the 2nd unit of liberators.  Megaboss fell to celestant, 2 more brutes down, Warchanter finished celestant and got killed by the liberators. He scored 3 points. I got the 3rd turn and said "what the hell, why not?!" and tried to cast foot of gork, the shaman was close to 10 ardboyz, so 9+. I got a freaking 12! What a moment! The ardboyz took 3 damage due to the power of waaaagh but it was worth it. The foot of gork came hard with 4 mortal wounds on the fulminators, killing the first one. Them I rolled 5 and it stomped again with 6 more wounds, them another 4 on the dice, 3 more wounds and no more fulminators on the field. It gork wasn't happy enough yet! Got another 6 on the dice and 4 more wounds on the liberators and that was it. I used Ironfist to make a line of ardboyz between my objective and the one where gork just stomped in order to score some more points, but it did not work out well cause the boyz did not charge enough. I finished the round with 1 point. His 3rd turn started with the gryph deep striking in the objective where the gruntas where killed, charged the remaining liberators in the ardboyz and killed 4 of them. He scored 5 more points. The 4th turn was mine, the shaman wasn't able to mystic shield the boyz. 2 boyz killed 1 liberator, they killed the remaining brute. All I got left was 2 boyz stuck with 3 liberators, 3 boyz and shaman close to my objective, so 1 more point. His 4th turn he finally deep struck the retributors the closest he could to my shaman but thanks to mork there was no charge. Anyway, 5 more points. The 5th turn was his, retributors killed the shaman and boyz and I got squished from the field.

Major loss, but with a sweet taste thanks to the shaman xD.

3rd battle: Da Frozen Sunz vs Seraphons. 1k battle as before I ran almost the same list but gave talisman of protection to both megaboss and shaman.

His list was:
Sauros Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur
Bastiladon
Kroxigor
5 Saurus Guard
2 x10 Skinks

Battleplan was Take and Hold, I started deploying with everything in the middle same as for mine opponent. I took first turn, used ramping destroyer to advance my shaman to cast foot of gork, but it did not go off. I used rampaging to move gruntas to the right to flank him and pushed forward with everything else but the ardboyz. Unfortunately, the gruntas failed to charge the Kroxigors and hid megaboss, brutes and warchanter in a piece of scenery. My opponent closed in my gruntas with a unit of skinks and carnosaur while the bastiladon and the other skinks moved close to the scenery that I was hiding. The talisman of protection was really handy against those nasty mortal wounds from the bastiladon, my brutes and warchantes were slowly eaten up by it. Carnosaur killed my gruntas and 2 turns, bastiladon and kroxigors killed my brutes at the same pace while megaboss was able to wipe the kroxigors. By the start of the 4th round, I only had my shaman and 5 ardboyz against 15 skinks, bastiladon, Carnosaur and the Saurus guard.

It was a major loss. Totally my fault due to lack of strategy, I focused on killing the bastiladon, which proved to be very hard and let carnosaur run free.

4th Battle: Skaven:

First time against rats in the mortal realms. (I have only faced skaven in blood bowl matches :D)

His list was
Arch Warlock
3 x Stormfiends
20 x Clanrats
20 x Clanrats
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team 
Warpfire Dragon 

I tried a different list this game in order to test my shaman:
Megaboss - general, ravager - battle brew
warchanter
shaman - talisman
10 ardboyz
5 brutes - two choppas
3 gruntas - pig choppas
Wierdfist formation

We played 3 places of Power, I deployed first in the middle of my side and gave my opponent the first turn, he closed in the first left objective and secured it. My turn started with a failed foot of gork >:(, then I moved my gruntas to the left, pushed megaboss, chanter and brutes to the middle and ardboyz and shaman to the right, secured the center objective, killed some clan rats. He won the initiative and started doing some crazy damage with the Stormfiend shock and flamethrower in my brutes and megaboss. The dragon ate my shaman and my formation was down the pipe :(. In my second turn I approached the Warlock with the gruntas and they score 1 single wound and took 7 wounds! Megaboss and brutes killed 1 stormfiend and that was it. 3rd round started with me losing the initiative again, Warlock killed the gruntas, fiends finished megaboss and warchanter, and the dragon engaged my ardboyz, who miraculously had only 1 dead. There was nothing much to do, my brutes killed 1 more fiend and the boyz did some damage on the dragon, but brutes got killed and I gave up at the beginning of the 4th round.

Major loss. The wierdfist did not work at all, maybe in a battlepan like take and hold or some kind of more defensive strategy. The lack of mobility really made me loose a lot of wound in the shooting phase.

I got a rematch against the Skaven.

5th Battle: Skaven:

His list was
Arch Warlock
3 x Stormfiends
20 x Clanrats
20 x Clanrats
Warpfire Dragon 

I went back to my usual list:
Megaboss - general, ravager - battle brew
warchanter
shaman - talisman
10 ardboyz
5 brutes - two choppas
3 gruntas - pig choppas
Ironfist formation

We played border war this time, I finished my deployment first, but I gave him the 1st turn, there was not much movement and a few shooting, but nothing got killed or injured, he scored 3 pts. I started my turn mystic shielding my gruntas, pushed brutes, megaboss to the center-left, rushed the gruntas to the far left and stopped exactly 8" from his clan rats unit. I made an ardboy line from my objective to the right one and moved shaman right in the middle of them. I successfully charged 8" with the gruntas and killed 18 rats thanks to the D3 damage from the pigs! I finished my turn scoring 5 pts. We rolled and I lost the double turn, he closed in with the brutes and megaboss with the stormfiends, pushed his arch-warlock into the gruntas and moved the dragon close to my ardboyz, thankfully they were in deadly terrain so he couldn't run or charge to reach me, but the moved closer. I lost 1 grunta and 2 brutes, killed 1 stormfiend and did some wounds to the warlock, he scored 3 points. My turn started with the shaman dealing 2 wounds on the dragon with arcane blast. I charged my megaboss and piled in with the brutes on the stormfiends and managed to kill the rest of the unit, the gruntas did some more wounds on the warlock and killed the remaining clan rats and charged the dragon with the boyz, taking half of his wounds away. I scored 5 more points and ended. Roll again and the sweet double turn came. I charged the warlock with megaboss and killed him, the warchanter and brutes charged the clan rats defending his objective and the boyz and shaman killed the dragon! by the end of the turn, I scored 5 more points and my opponent gave up.

Major Victory for Da Frozen Sunz! It was really nice to see so much movement, charges, and wounds flying away. It was the first game that I actually enjoyed playing the gruntas and that the shaman did more than a mystic shield, he actually scored 2 wounds with his staff against the dragon.

• 1 month later...

Last saturday I went to my usual monthly tournament on my LFGS and did 2 very interesting battles.

We´re starting a kind of campain of the GHB. 

#6 battle: Vs Dispossed - Battleplan: Consumed (GHB)
I took my newly built megaboss on maw krusha, black orc big boss and 2 x5 brutes. I Cant quite remember my opponents list but it had a runesmither, and engineer, a catapult, a canon and 2 x10 irondrakes (I think). I set my BOBB as general and let him to perform the ritual while the rest of the list was set to defend. But as a good orrruk warmaster, I pushed forward with my brutes while used the maw krusha to take some shots from the guns. The brutes performed extremely well and run all the way to his deployment zone, killing his general and one irondrake unit. My opponent was taking it very slowly and I could finish the sacrifice ritual and won the battle with only 1 unit of brutes being killed. Major win for Da Frozen Sunz!

#7 battle vs Order Grand Alliance - Battleplan: The Silver Tower
My list was almost the same, just changed the BOBB for the Wierdnob. My opponent brought a carmine dragon, 2 wizards, an Azyros, 5 liberators, 2 x10 skink, if I can recall correctly.
That was a really fun battleplan! I loved the moving tower and how it made us change our plans. My maw krusha and his carmine engaged early on and went on each other until he killed my cabbage. Mostly fault of my wierdnob, that got dispelled by the carmine 3 times. But the brutes did a good job hunting the best and the tower took care of Azyros. It was a minor loss, as I tabled his army but lost on points.

I'll be honest and say I personnally don't like the color scheme, but I can say they are well executed and congrats on the paintjobs. You went out the beaten paths and you made a great job, just not my cup of tea.

• 4 months later...

So long since my last update here. I´ve been away from the game for some family and work related matters but made my back to the table last weekend. I attended a small tournament and went 3-0 taking 1st place! :D:D

My list was:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Orruk Megaboss (140) - General - Trait: Ironclad  - Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warboss (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)

Total: 1000/1000

#8 battle against Khorne Demons.

I cant quite remember his list, but it was 2x10 bloodletters, 10x blood warriors, a skull cannon, bloodsecretor, mighty lord of Khorne, and a demon prince. 
We battled on the Battle for the Pass,  we both did not realize that we could leave a captured objetive and still score points. I left one unit of brutes in my objective and moved the rest to the left side one. The gruntas captured it and then moved to charge the skull cannon as it one shot killed my Warboss. They were buffed by the chanter, with 2+ attacks from megaboss and changed 9". They ripped the cannon and almost killed the Might lord. Quite amazing! After 2 round they where killed and I started to move the left behind brutes to capture the right objective. They took 3 turn to get there as I failed every single Mighty Destroyers roll. But they got there by turn 5 and killed the demon prince =)

Major Victory with a sweet taste due to the gruntas and bitter taste as megaboss failed to kill anything and to trigger any Mighty Destroyers. Note to a useless artefact as that damm bloodsecretor always put that damm banner on the ground!

#9 battle against Khorne bloodbound.

I think his list was 20x blood reavers, 10 blood warrrios, bloodstoker, mighty lord of khorne, a korgorath, and Valkia.
We fought on Scorched Earth and was pretty fun. I gave him first turn and he moved Valkia and korgorath  to charge megaboss. My turn I just positioned my gruntas for a good charge next round, same as for my brutes, just luring Valkia into my territory. He got second turn and as expected charged Valkia in my megaboss but hold his korgorath. Megaboss took a single wound from her attacks and responded with 3 wounds. My turn and the brutes finished her as megaboss failed once again to kill a thing. My gruntas charged his blood warriors and a bloody battle started. I killed 5 of them, they killed 2 piggies. 3rd round korgorath finally chardged my brutes and my opponent learnd why I can them monster hunters. He did 2 wound and were killed by them. Suddenly Megaboss was swarmed by the reavers but they only did 2 wounds on him and I also finished his blood warriors. In my turn I killed most of the reavers with my brutes and megaboss, and moved to capture and destroy an objetive. The last round I failed to charge his bloodsecrator with the gruntas but megaboss and brutes finished the reavers and mighy lord.

Major victory, mostly as he did some poor charge choices and lost key models in the begining. 

#10 battle was a bye, since the guy took off before the end.

In the end it was a really nice day and I had a lot of fun! Strategically thinking, I must need to rethink my artefacts and that Warboss. Ironclad was really helpful, especially against Valkia, so it earned its place. 

8 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

How did you find that unit of 6 Gore-gruntas at 1,000 points?

Mostly amazing! They did some astonishing damage on the first battle and lasted a long time. I think  they were killed in the 4th turn and they were fighting a Might Lord of Khorne and a Deamon prince at the same time since 2nd turn.  It was time enough for me to secure a great advantage in Victory Points and get a Major Victory.  In the second battle I used them to block blood warriors. That damm mortal wound after a save killed 1 piggy and the attacks after their death took another 2. In this battle they did not do much damage, but they captured important Victory Points and did some good board control.

My thought is that they are useless as a trio, even for 140pts, but they are definitely a good unit for 240. Thats 30 wounds with 9" move with decent save. They secured their place in my future lists for now.  :D

Archived