Wrathmongers - how to play them?

DamonRafael

Hello everybody!

I had few games using Wrathmongers, but I'm pretty sure I'm not using them in the right way.

The bonus they give to enemy units is sometimes more than the one I can give to my models.. do you have any suggestions on how to set them up?

I'm thinking to let them move right behind the BloodReavers, or warriors depending what I'm playing, and let them only enter the combat at a later stage. In this way I can give the +1 attack bonus to my unit only, but I'll loose the tons of attacks the Wrathmongers can bring..

Really looking forward to your feedbacks!

edit: as always, sorry if I made some English mistakes, feel free to point it out :)

You can also throw them at your opponents big monster so dishes out a lot of damage. Let him kill at least one, then make him kill himself. 

You should be able to dictate to a point where he sends units like that because he won't want to let them near your wrathmongers 

To be honest, they are pretty hard to combo with your own units, due to varying run speeds in the turns before you charge in (plus you need to get the Wrathmongers and the unit you want to buff into range). However, with the Bloodstorm formation, they are just awesome by themselves (with the only counter being chaff which you would double the attacks of). Flying in a hero/monster with a few jaw attacks or the like next to them is good - shame Chaos have such terrible monsters atm (cf. Destruction).

I do have a small report from this weekend game. It was an huge one and couldn't manage to finish it for several reasons.

Anyway, I tried to use my Wrathmongers as you suggested, but I found a unit of liberators on my way - they charged, and killed 1. As a result, I picked the Liberator-Prime, armed with Grandhammer and managed to kill 2 liberators with him :D 

So now I understood where's the strength of this unit! 

I have found that it's all about placement, if there's teleport era nearby then they go behind the Warriors, but if I'm on the offensive then positioning them between blood warriors and deamons means that in conjunction with the secrator both other units benefit from the extra attacks whilst also using the monger' attacks. 

18 hours ago, Chris Goldens said:

I have found that it's all about placement, if there's teleport era nearby then they go behind the Warriors, but if I'm on the offensive then positioning them between blood warriors and deamons means that in conjunction with the secrator both other units benefit from the extra attacks whilst also using the monger' attacks. 

Mmmh well the rule says " models within 3'' " . This means you really need to be close both to the deamons and the warriors, and anyway not the whole unit will receive the bonus. Am I wrong?

Now this doesn't means that yours is not a good idea, au contraire! That's indeed how I used to play them :)

I try to get : ( excuse the funny diagram I'm trying to do this on my phone)

d d d d w b b b b

w w     W w

where 1 wrathmonger gets through to attack and other boost the range of the extra attacks. By leaving the wrathmonger market to attack till last means extra models can pile in though gaps created by removing casualties. Thus giving the most extra attacks from other units and themselves. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2016 at 1:42 AM, DamonRafael said:

I do have a small report from this weekend game. It was an huge one and couldn't manage to finish it for several reasons.

Anyway, I tried to use my Wrathmongers as you suggested, but I found a unit of liberators on my way - they charged, and killed 1. As a result, I picked the Liberator-Prime, armed with Grandhammer and managed to kill 2 liberators with him :D 

So now I understood where's the strength of this unit! 

This is even better if you can use them against your opponents big nasty....something that hits really hard and is hard to take out...something they can make kill itself, and you can use your slaughterpriest to make sure that big baddy moves towards your wrathmongers to help them get in combat with him

Archived