What is happening to Vandus? *Spoilers*

chord

When he was reforged in All-Gates he mentioned how he was closer to fulfilling his potential.  What will become of him?  I think its foreshadowing a new model, something greater than a Lord Celestant but below a Prime.

Thoughts?

Hmm i cant remember that part. Ill go and read it later but could you expand on what was said a little.

He was reforged and then fought and banished Skarbrand as far as i remember.

Im not sure if he needs a new model as i feel that his model is already more unique than the generic celestant on dracoth model.

Perhaps he will finally be made into a proper special character and just given his own warscroll.

1 hour ago, KHHaunts said:

Hmm i cant remember that part. Ill go and read it later but could you expand on what was said a little.

He was reforged and then fought and banished Skarbrand as far as i remember.

Im not sure if he needs a new model as i feel that his model is already more unique than the generic celestant on dracoth model.

Perhaps he will finally be made into a proper special character and just given his own warscroll.

I don't have the book in front of me, It's when they talk about his reforging, before being sent to battle.

Vandus also "seemed" to be infected by Archaon in the Godbeasts book.

When Vandus is killed and transformed into light, Archaon runs his hands through the light and streaks of green appear where his fingers move through.

Nothing definitive, but it does give the idea of possible corruption.

It would be very interesting to see the orginal starter box hero actually become one of the major villains in the AOS setting.

However as mentioned it never said that he was actually being corrupted. It may just be that the green was Vandus's pure spirit "recoiling" from the chaotic touch.

I actually had my hopes on some form of undead SC as their "Corrupted" version.

2 hours ago, chord said:

I think down the road corrupted SC might be good.  But IMO it's too early in the storyline for it. 

Yeah there isent really a need for "Chaos stormcast" atleast at the moment as they are essentially the order version of chaos warriors and all their variations (Aka, God empowerd sumperhuman warriors in heavy armor).

Which is unlike 40k who did it the other way around by having the "good" marines first.

Thats why i think corruption from a different source would be better as Nagash has already shown an interest and appreciation for their "Design"

in the lord of undeath book he goes on to reflect on how hard it is to create poweful undead things like the morghasts and is therefore impressed (And a little worried) that sigmar can create so many of these warriors that cheat death (Which is pretty much his thing)

But just so i dont go off topic to much. Im wondering if Vandus will be the first SC to ascend to lord commander (I think that was the title) and what such a role would look like (Less epic the the prime but more so than a celestant) will be interesting.

1 minute ago, KHHaunts said:

But just so i dont go off topic to much. Im wondering if Vandus will be the first SC to ascend to lord commander (I think that was the title) and what such a role would look like (Less epic the the prime but more so than a celestant) will be interesting.

I agree, I think that is his ultimate destination and will introduce a new model into the range. 

I believe there's mention of a Lord Commander position yet unfilled in the SCE book?  It's been my assumption that Vandus' storyline is being steered that way.  And of course he has the epic turbo-mode crushing of Skarbrand at the end of All Gates, so he ended the Realmgate Wars on a pretty high note there.

I'll go see if I can find the Lord Commander reference...

Page 24: SCE battletome-

“Though every Stormcast Eternal is blessed with Sigmar’s divine power, none are imbued so richly with godly might as the Lord-Celestants. They are chosen by the God-King himself, and are the greatest of their Stormhosts – field commanders, captains and war-leaders that can confront the greatest horrors and defeat the most powerful champions of Chaos. From them, one day, Lord-Commanders might be selected, but first these heroes must prove themselves. Beneath the Lord-Celestants in the Stormhost’s hierarchy are sub-commanders, paragons of their kind that radiate Sigmar’s celestial power”

Excerpt From: Games Workshop. “Warhammer: Age of Sigmar - Order Battletome: Stormcast Eternals.” iBooks. 

A single "corrupted" stormcast as a character would be cool (there is, after all, a Chaos guy who become a Stormcast: Torglug, the champion of Nurgle, became Tornus the Stormcast), but I don't think we need a Chaos Space Marine equivalent in AOS.

RE: Vandus I'm assuming "unlocking his potential" is to become a Lord Commander; the fluff is vague but it makes me feel that the Stormhosts aren't fully realized yet, only parts of them currently exist but there are plans for how they should be organized.  So there may not BE a Lord Commander yet (since apart from the Prime, Vandus is meant to be the first Stormcast).  It's all kinda vague, since a stormhost is meant to be all the different chambers, and so Vandus would just be the leader of the Hammers of Sigmar's Warrior chamber, which also means there are several more Lord-Celestants (can't remember if they are called something else in the other chambers) for the Extremis, Sacrosant, Ruination, etc. chambers, as well as a Lord Commander above Vandus, but that never gets mentioned.  So it makes me think the hierarchy is set, but the positions haven't been filled yet as Stormcasts need to prove themselves.  So my guess is Vandus will someday be made the Lord-Commander of the entire Hammers of Sigmar stormhost.

My guess is that GW is going to move the SCE towards a chapter/legion structure similiar to 40k marines. Eventually, this could lead to unique boxes, upgrade kits and models. But for now, it's not there. We'll probably see more hints of where this is going in the new SCE tome. It includes special rules for running each host (Hammers, Celestial Vindicators etc), which is likely the first real step in that direction.

Vandus then, will be our first Lord-Commander, aka chapter master/Primarch. He'll be the boss of the entire Hammers of Sigmar, not just the Hammerhands.

As much as there is potential in the "corrupted SCE" route, I believe GW would have mentioned it in All-Gates if that was the plan. Archaon had his hand literally in Vandus' soul. Instead, it's Archaon who has been talked about turning against the chaos gods. A relationship with the Lord-Commander, or at least an understanding of who and what the SCE are may further that along. Not that I believe Archaon is turning any time soon. But they're set him up, specifically mentioned the possibility. And that's fascinating.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With regard to Lord Commanders, as I understand it, a stormhost is made up of various chambers, Warrior, Exemplar, Harbringer, Vanguard, Sacrosanct etc. etc. They each have a Lord Celestant in charge except Vanguard, led by a Lord Aquillor, and Sacrosanct, led by a Lord Arcanum. Ruination, Logister and Covenant chambers haven't been opened yet so we don't know what happens there. There are also various Echelons and Temples that again we haven't seen yet.

The Lord Commander is in overall charge of the whole lot, so the supreme commander of the stormhost. The logic then would be for Vandus to rise to Lord Commander and be in charge of the Hammers of Sigmar stormhost. Other Lord Celestants would rise to be Lord Commander of their stormhost while the Celestant Prime would be in charge of the whole lot as Sigmar's second in command. It also leaves the option to have a Lord Celestant in charge of each chamber i.e. Vandus in charge of the Warrior chamber, Antonicus Gregory (Lord Celestant of my warrior chamber the Gregorians) in charge of the Harbringer chamber, etc.

Stormhost structure is on page 38-39 of the latest SCE battletome. Only my interpretation, happy to hear others.

Archived