Visiting England - Should I Visit Warhammer World?

Hello all, 

This may not be an AoS specific discussion, but I had a hard time finding a better place for this topic. I am from the United States and will be visiting England this June. I have been playing Warhammer 40k / Fantasy since 1996 and would love to visit Warhammer World. I would be driving up from the Cotswolds and then taking the train to London, and then on to Paris. If I did not go to Warhammer World, I would have more time in Paris. As someone traveling from halfway around the world, is it worth the extra drive and travel time to visit Warhammer World (on a Tuesday)? If so, why?

And yes, I need this information to help convince my fiance to visit Warhammer World. Please help!

This is a no brainer, I haven't been to WhW in ages but it is a fantastic place and well worth a visit.

If you are traveling such a long way and it's not exactly a regular thing then you would be mad not to spend an afternoon.

I actually spent the night sleeping there in 2001 with about 100 other staff members after our campsite was flooded during a big meeting, only worked for the company for a year but I'll never forget that. Slept on a sheet of pink foam in the gaming hall next to a marine statue. 

6 hours ago, Nick Dicehammer said:

Hello all, 

This may not be an AoS specific discussion, but I had a hard time finding a better place for this topic. I am from the United States and will be visiting England this June. I have been playing Warhammer 40k / Fantasy since 1996 and would love to visit Warhammer World. I would be driving up from the Cotswolds and then taking the train to London, and then on to Paris. If I did not go to Warhammer World, I would have more time in Paris. As someone traveling from halfway around the world, is it worth the extra drive and travel time to visit Warhammer World (on a Tuesday)? If so, why?

And yes, I need this information to help convince my fiance to visit Warhammer World. Please help!

If you're going from the cotswolds then you're very close to Cheltenham Warchiefs, probably one of the biggest AoS clubs in the world?

I would skip WHW though unless you really want to see those dioramas. The venue itself is effectively a giant gaming venue, gw store, and bar attached. If you don't have your army with you then there may not be much point.

Although I believe WHW still sells an exclusive stormcast hero which can *only* be purchased physically from there.

Visiting England - Should I Visit Warhammer World?

I would like to reinterpret this question using purposive interpretation:

Visiting England - How many whole days should I spend at Warhammer World? How many games should I play with cool people? How much fun will I have? How many amazing models will I see in the tour?

1 hour ago, Jamopower said:

I have similar plan and could ask a question in this same Thread. 

We are coming from Finland to UK to visit salute, and have been planning to visit whw at the same trip. How is the gaming arranged there? It could be cool to have a game there.

Last time I was there, if you have a fully painted force and all the necessary tools just pick a table. Unless it's one of the popular ones then you must book it.

Yes you should absolutely spend an aftenoon there.

If you want to play a game on a specific table then you must book in advance.  It's well worth doing so as the tables you can book are great fun to play on.

If you've never been to whw and are a gw fan then I would thoroughly recommend it. It's a great venue to play a game in and to then have a beer on afterwards.

As well as playing games there are 5 rooms of beautiful and occasionally mind blowing displays. It costs about £7 for a ticket to the displays but you can go in and out as much as you want. You can easily spend over an hour there.

I've only ever been with friends who are also warhammer fans and we've also played a game on the stunning tables so I don't know how much fun it would be for you to go with your partner (who I'm guessing is not a warhammer fan) - that's something only you can answer!

Paris is also beautiful so you'll have a great time whatever you do

I assume your fiance has no interest in Warhammer at all and thus Paris is going to be hard to top.

This is just going to be a relationship compromise thing. There is no reason, absolutely no attraction, for the fiance to let you go UNLESS they are a nice patient person who gets a kick out of seeing you happy. Luckily that's often the case! I know my SO would give up a day in Paris for it

It'd be a shame not to visit the home of Warhammer if you're over in this country.  Even for people who don't participate in the hobby, things like the exhibition and whole environment is pretty impressive.  I guess the real question as a few people have said, is if your fiance is "OK" with the hobby or dislikes it with a passion.

Geography also suggests yes - if you're both from the USA, then the distances involved are microscopic. Provided you avoid rush hour traffic (especially Friday afternoon and Sunday afternoon), then it should be a good journey.

I must admit I'd skimmed the post and not spotted the fiancé point. That does make it more of a tough call. Or you could say Kairos made you do it.

9 hours ago, Nick Dicehammer said:

Hello all, 

If you are in the country and have chance to, I would 100% go. If I lived closer I would be there all the time!

As for convincing your fiance, it's something you enjoy doing so she should be fine with it. My wife likes Warhammer World and quite likes going around looking at the models and dioramas. 

I think it probably depends how long you'd planned to be in London/Paris and if your likely to be back in the UK any time in the near future so could potentially go to WHW another time and also how your fiance feels about the hobby.  If they have even a slight interest in creative things and GW stuff they'll likely be more blown away by the things in the WHW exhibition, than you, as I'm guessing you've seen some of the pictures or heard about some of the amazing displays. 

If you do visit WHW you'll need at least 3 hours to have a look around, I wouldn't worry about trying to get a game in there (as cool as it may be) as that will take a lot of time that you could be doing something else in Nottingham you both might enjoy, maybe a tour of the historic castle which has links to France, for example.  The castle/cave tours often end near to the fabled Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem pub that many a wargamer has visited.

Hope that helps.

4 hours ago, Lardidar said:

This is a no brainer, I haven't been to WhW in ages but it is a fantastic place and well worth a visit.

If you are traveling such a long way and it's not exactly a regular thing then you would be mad not to spend an afternoon.

I actually spent the night sleeping there in 2001 with about 100 other staff members after our campsite was flooded during a big meeting, only worked for the company for a year but I'll never forget that. Slept on a sheet of pink foam in the gaming hall next to a marine statue. 

I was there that year! geat times!

I have a similar question: My sister and her husband are going to the UK to visit his family this year. They will spend a few days in London and a couple weeks down in Cornwall. I'm going to be watching their dogs while they are away and said they would pick up anything for me while they are there as a thank you. Is there anything Warhammery you can get over there and not regularly in the US without going to Notingham? I doubt it, but want to make sure.

6 hours ago, Callimaco said:

I have a similar question: My sister and her husband are going to the UK to visit his family this year. They will spend a few days in London and a couple weeks down in Cornwall. I'm going to be watching their dogs while they are away and said they would pick up anything for me while they are there as a thank you. Is there anything Warhammery you can get over there and not regularly in the US without going to Notingham? I doubt it, but want to make sure.

Not really. Depends if you have a local GW store to you but most of the exclusive stuff you can only really get at Warhammer World. 

On 1/24/2017 at 5:36 AM, Gaz Taylor said:

Not really. Depends if you have a local GW store to you but most of the exclusive stuff you can only really get at Warhammer World. 

Thanks. Now to to convince my sister that a trip north would be the highlight of her trip.

On 1/22/2017 at 8:28 PM, Nick Dicehammer said:

I went to Warhammer World on my honeymoon. The wife wasn't super thrilled but I made the deal that she could decide what we do and where we go for the rest of the trip if I got to go to warhammer world. It was absolutely worth every second and every dollar I spent to get there. 

You can easily spend an entire day there if you have some models to play with. I was there for the black library live event and listened to some authors to pass the time. I also went through the exhibit halls 4 times, and really that alone is enough reason to go.  The food at bugmans is fantastic as well. 

Youve already gone that far to get there, might as well go the little bit extra to fulfill a dream.

PS -Uber is where it's at for getting around Nottingham from the train station.

If I ever get the chance to travel to England, you can bet we'd be stopping at Warhammer World!  I personally have very little interest in Paris myself.  My only concern would be bringing enough spending money to get all the goodies you can't buy elsewhere - and for chow at Bugmans!

10 hours ago, Alpharion said:

PS -Uber is where it's at for getting around Nottingham from the train station.

Yup. Although the tram does go past Warhammer World now but not sure if links into the Train Station. Also top tip! Never, ever ask anybody in Nottingham for directions. I went on a stag do many years ago and arrived in Nottingham Train station with my friends and needed to find our hotel which was next to the BBC centre. After 40 minutes walking around asking various people where it was, we got a taxi and got to hotel. After a weekend of fun we then got taxis from the hotel to the station and discovered it was only a few minutes round the corner!!! :( 

7 hours ago, HeadHunter said:

If I ever get the chance to travel to England, you can bet we'd be stopping at Warhammer World!  I personally have very little interest in Paris myself.  My only concern would be bringing enough spending money to get all the goodies you can't buy elsewhere - and for chow at Bugmans!

Whilst Warhammer World is ace, I do have to say Paris is a great city to visit and the people are lovely. Lots of great museums and sights to see!

12 hours ago, Callimaco said:

Thanks. Now to to convince my sister that a trip north would be the highlight of her trip.

If you are looking after her dogs,  I think it would only be polite ;) Depends on what she is planning on doing but Nottingham is a nice city to visit

Archived