US Tournaments and member growth

daedalus81

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Lord Aquillor said:

Number one issue with Tournaments in US? Lack of a clear governing body.  It would be cool if there was something similar to HC realms in heroclix.  Bascially a standardized structure of rulesets that can be used by any tourney and points are earned towards a yearly championship, ect.  Not sure if this exists already, but if it does, I have never heard of it. 

I am actively trying to grow the community in Indiana at the moment.  The issue appears to be from negativity from old fantasy players, and or the lack of understanding with GHB and Battletomes.  We are running an escalation league to gather all the small pockets of players into a different gamestore each month for one big day.  Several games starting at 500 (with custom battleplans) on up to 2000 points.  This will encourage others to paint, play and meet and hopefully attract some other players.  The lack of high quality models is not an issue.  Several people I have spoken to are interested in the game simply by how cool the models look.  

During demos/games, you would be surprised how many people come over to check out the models and then make offhand comments about their being no points (even though we were playing matched play games).  It seems that it is a lack of perception on how the game is played and how far its come, plus the way it's headed.  

The only solution to this is going to be getting as many players as possible rounded up (even if it's just you toting your two armies) and frequently attending different gaming stores and clubs.  Challenge people to learn.  Tell the fantasy players that you are sick of them complaining and to just try it and then you will let them complain after they have given it an honest go. 

Most players aren't going to invest time and money in a game unless they think it is a worthwhile investment and that there will be an active player base to regularly get games in.  Stop playing in your basements, get out to the stores.  BE SEEN, BE HEARD, RECRUIT! ;) I feel that with the release of Duardin and the way BTs are going, we are going to see an increased influx of new players.  

And if anyone is interested in helping organize a Tourney in Indianapolis please message me or find us on Indianapolis Age of Sigmar.  

I had one such instance doing a demo. I just grabbed my GHB and said: like those? He tried to grab the book, I closed it inmediately and placed it back on it was before. I said, on a tone as even and innocent as I could: you can try it if you want, who knows, you may even like it?

He plays fyreslayers now and eagerly awaits the new GHB.

Archived