AoS 28/hinterlands. Seeking the Mystarikum.

nicromancer

I've started building a small warband based around a knight questor and his retinue of followers,minstrels, squires and scribes. 
I wanted him to have an old school heraldic knight look, as if he's been away from his storm host for many many years and has taken to the questing life completely.
I'm hoping to run a small AOS skirmish campaign in the vein of INQ28 or inquisimunda using either the regiment of renown rules or the hinterlands rules. 

Let me know what you think and i'll post more as it goes.

big shield small orcs..jpg

Awesome idea! I myself love inquisitorial warbands and Ive got my own warband building going on n off, so a similar thing in AoS setting should be great. Something Id certainly love doing :) Ive kitbashed my nurgle warriors and they would fit to a similar warband idea easily with some additions.

You plan on doing a lot of converting? Or just using vanilla minis? Either way, Im interested and Ill be following this.

(I promise I'll take some daylight photos that A:show of the paintjob in a flattering light and B:Don't contain my gnarled hands just as soon as my dissertation is handed in. ) 

Got the face an armour to a point I'm happy with, The armour has more ageing and dirt on it than the trust phone camera wants to show. 
If there's one thing i don't love about the stormcast models it's the flowing papers tied to their armour. Thematic they may be but i just hate painting them! 

Didn't know how to do the armour at first, went through cream,red,rusted bronze before sitting down in from of the 1984 film Excalibur and deciding dark iron was the way to go. 

16344239_10206078417518970_235055651_n.jpg

He's looking great, I love the expression you've given him. Where is his head from?

The look and theme you're going for reminds me of a unit of Retributors I started a couple of months ago, and will probably never finish, that I decided to try and capture what the look of the "army of Valtens" I first imagined when I found out GW were going finally going to be swallowing the pill with fantasy space marines.

77tsZQA.jpg

mIldZsZ.jpg

On 27/01/2017 at 6:55 PM, Double Misfire said:

He's looking great, I love the expression you've given him. Where is his head from?

The look and theme you're going for reminds me of a unit of Retributors I started a couple of months ago, and will probably never finish, that I decided to try and capture what the look of the "army of Valtens" I first imagined when I found out GW were going finally going to be swallowing the pill with fantasy space marines.

77tsZQA.jpg

mIldZsZ.jpg

the army looks awesome. Would certainly be cool to see more. 

Looking great, I can't wait to see what his retinue look like. Have you got a better photo of the freehand sun on his shoulderpad? What I can see of it looks awesome.

On 30/01/2017 at 5:12 PM, nicromancer said:

the army looks awesome. Would certainly be cool to see more. 

I'm afraid that guy and a couple of unfinished conversions were as far as I got, and having seen how awesome the vanguard chambers look if I do decide to pick up any Stormcast in future they'll all be coming from there.

On 01/02/2017 at 2:07 PM, Thundercake said:

Looks great so far. What about using Path to Glory rules?

I was tempted initially to make a rough mash up of the regiments of renown and path to glory rules, But hinterlands is better than eny system i could cobble together. 

As for just PtG on it's own,I love the idea of it but it's built for actual armies rather than skirmish warbands.

Started a wizard to go in the hinterlands warband. 
Core figure is a forgeworld familar from inquisitor hector rex. Started life with a full face mask so i had to sculpt a face from scratch for him, decided i wanted him quite haggered and wise looking to contrast all the armoured grimacing that will make up the rest of the warband. 
Also gave him a good stippling of liquid green stuff for texture and a new staff head.

wiz.jpg

"there are many secrets that draw the lost and desperate to the realm of shadow.
Some come to hide, others to search for lost treasures in the sunken libraries and mist filled ruins of the great marshes...
Others however, Come for the shadow itself.
The wizard going by the name of Therin is one such traveller. For It is whispered that he seeks the lost secrets of the Mystaricum, The mythical temple of the order of the blind saint, Who in the age of chaos hid themselves through magyk and deceit deep within the mist seas of the shadow lands.
Others claim he is a spy of sigmar Sent to follow rumours and stories of a dark and terrible force gathering in the darkness, Or to find the fey Aelves and see what they are hiding beyond the eyes of curious gods.....

None truly know what great and forgotten secrets Therin seeks, All they know is that he has decided that the quest of Sir Bry'n the dawn knight coincides with his own, For now...."

I went for a darker more subdued scheme for my grey wizard to contrast with his stormcast leader. The outer cloak and inner robes are different shades of grey but alas my meagre camera isn't picking up much in the way of detail on this one. Still, I'm happy with him and think he adds that all essential mystery to my growing group.

16652066_10206161992808300_1562757376_n.jpg

Did this chap a while ago and have decided he needs a part in my upcoming campaign. So far I think he'll be acting as an NPC and foil to the heroes and villains competing for victory. 

There's more pictures and some fluff for this chap over at http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk

His name is Reinhold Heillbrand, Scourge of spirits, and he has no time or love for those who tamper with the arcane secrets of ages past. 

16780687_10206187654609829_1752870076_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update!

I have painted the first of the freeguild guard for my hinterlands warband and his gryph hound prxy companion.
Introducing Burik the moonguard, nightwatchman of marshes end and squire of the dawn knight and his trusty companion Huund.

And secondly we have the best miniature ever made! 

As always there's full fluff and breakdown on my blog! All C&C welcome and appreciated! :)
http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

17098184_10206272500330919_435841828420873171_n.jpg

17098641_10206272500130914_1851797488364392558_n.jpg

16938934_10206272499810906_5287596378667175902_n.jpg

17021919_10206275159597399_2197742883303286847_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My latest warband member.
Dainna the huntress, chosen of the city of Themyskyr and seeker of the lost Mystarikum.

She's built from a sister of silence and perry foot knight arms and head with an old bret shield.

I'm really happy with how she came out and glad i pushed the painting on the armour a little further than i normally would. I'm now tempted to give her her own warband...a band of hunters from the ancient city of Themyskyr who have come to glory in the realms by hunting the most dangerous and deadly of opponents.....

I've put a breakdown of her fluff and build over at mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk

As allways, C&C welcome and enjoyed! :)

17274563_10206357317091285_927822851_n.jpg

17274820_10206357142446919_396287402_n.jpg

17328103_10206357099685850_1454609646_n.jpg

Cheers chaps! Glad to know my painting is doing its job, I was never one for long paintjobs so I get a bit fidgity when I work on a model for more than an hour. :)

@Double Misfire. Glad you enjoyed it, I still need to find a warband that suites slops mighty image. 

@Davariel. There aren't many models they will fit with but the smaller slighter framed gw minis work really well. I'd suggest picking up a few frames from their website if you wanna try them out, they have a good variety of bits. 

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived