Events UK: BLACKOUT - 02-03/09/17 - Firestorm Games - PDF pack

Chris Tomlin

Hey, I've just been able to confirm that I can make this!

One question though, before I try to get everything painted (why do I do these things to myself?!), will Forgeworld units be ok to use?
I'm looking at running a Nurgle force, and would like to use my Plague Toads and The Exhaled Great Unclean One. 
No worries if not, just figured I'd find out in advance :)

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, Petloski said:

Hey, I've just been able to confirm that I can make this!

One question though, before I try to get everything painted (why do I do these things to myself?!), will Forgeworld units be ok to use?
I'm looking at running a Nurgle force, and would like to use my Plague Toads and The Exhaled Great Unclean One. 
No worries if not, just figured I'd find out in advance :)

Hi @Petloski, good news! Do you have a ticket already?

I will answer your question within the next couple of days. Just need to check something first.

Ok so in lieu of a proper pack just yet (guys, I am so so busy at the moment...no excuse I know! :S) I thought I'd at least share the basic scoring system. To be honest, other than timings there's not really much more to share other than the below. We'll just be rocking up and playing 5 games of Warhammer straight up from the new General's Handbook (which you can preorder and pick up at Firestorm btw - they've requested I advise of that!).

Whilst my preference is usually for soft score heavy events, I have made the decision that this event will be basing purely off gaming because of the new Handbook. I want to keep it as simple and inclusive as possible, with people being able to try out new armies and cool allies etc. I was slightly loathe to remove a cohesive requirement (or at least a bonus for doing so), however this is a one off, once again because of the new Handbook, and I would certainly return to soft scores in the future. Luckily we have Facehammer coming up a few weeks after which scratches that itch this year;

• Lists on the day - 2,000 points as per General's Handbook 2017 restrictions and points (Forgeworld tbc)
  • All models must be fully painted* and based otherwise they will be removed and you will incur a 10 point penalty. There is no requirement for armies to be cohesive. This is to encourage people to try out the new allies rules!
  • 50 Tournament points available; Major Victory = 10, Minor Victory = 8, Draw = 5, Minor Defeat = 2, Major Defeat = 0
  • First tie break is Sports votes (be nice whilst winning!), the second is kill points scored.
  • Armies will be displayed on Saturday lunch so that I can shortlist Best Army nominations for a public/judge vote on Sunday. If your army includes reserve points, you can display additional models from your summoning pool, however the overall army you display cannot exceed 2,000 points.
  • Each player will vote for Best Sports at the end of the event, in the case of a tie, the highest placed player will win the award (win whilst being nice!).

The Trophies available are;

• 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place: as above these are scored purely on the 50 gaming TPs available, with sports first tiebreak (kill points 2nd).
  • 1st, 2nd, 3rd Best Army: these will be player judged from a nominated shortlist on the Sunday.
  • Judges Choice Best Painted Army: this will be my favourite army at the event, entirely possible it will be one of the above 3 though.
  • Best Sports: as above this will be based off player sports votes with the highest placed player winning in the event of a tie.
  • The Jen Lyons award of _______: this will be awarded to the player who finishes last. Your name will be carried forward to my next event. Jen still needs to think of a name for this years award.
  • Best In Alliance (Destruction, Chaos, Death & Order): these will be decided purely on Kill Points so can be won by anyone (except maybe @#SteveJames). In the unlikely event of a tie, highest placing will win.
  • Also the Friday night Skirmish will have trophies for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Best Warband and Best Sports

And I think that's the important info for the moment. I really hope everyone embraces the ethos of the event which is simply to have some fun with the new General's Handbook and see what is good!

Oh...terrain is not required. Firestorm are able to furnish each table with 8-9 pieces.

As I said, my events usually are much more soft score focussed and if that is what you were expecting I am still issuing refunds at this late stage as I want to make sure everyone is happy. I genuinely believe all of this is more of a positive than a negative and I'm super excited to see what lists you guys bring on the day.

Don't forget to get your grudges in and further details will follow, including full timetable and also information on the Friday Skirmish, as prepared by @bottle

Please get all your questions in and I will reply as soon as possible. I will try and appoint some suitable player judges on the weekend who are able to assist me with some of the queries that may arise as a result of the new Handbook.

Hopefully that covers off some questions for now and lets you guys know what we are doing!!

Don't forget that this Saturday is the final date for entrants and refunds as I need to let Firestorm know numbers.

Oh one final thing is that I am looking for a spare player in case of odd numbers. If anyone wants to take up this mantle you will have free food on both days and obviously the event will be free if you are required to play! You will need to bring your own painted army etc like any other entrant. Get in touch if interested.

Thanks for now,
Chris

*I will not use the term "3 colour minimum" as it is open for abuse. If you are unsure whether your models are painted(?!), please get in contact with me.

• Like 4

Hey,

Just awaiting Firestorm's approval of my timetable before posting this here.

A note on armies; whilst painting scores have been relaxed, fully painted and based models are still a must, as is WYISWYG (usual Tournament standards apply). If you are unsure, please contact me ahead of the event.

Slightly gutted there's no soft-scoring, was looking forward to playing an event that wasn't as heavy "win" focused and had used your soft-scoring as a justification to get my brother to agree coming along.  Completely appreciate the reason behind the decision (please don't think I'm having a go - organising an event isn't easy).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on Forgeworld else my brother is going to be running under points ;)

I'm going to need a bit of clarification on what counts as "fully painted" here. My personal aim has been to get every model "base coated" - so appropriate colours on all sections of the models. However I highly doubt I'll have them shaded, highlighted, or anything beyond the use of citadel base paints. As for bases, I use the Shattered Dominion bases which will be base coated and highlighted. Is this sufficient? Because by definition these aren't "fully painted" but they are appropriately coloured. If this isn't enough, I'll have probably about 400 points usable and will likely have a terrible time... So hopefully not!

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Slightly gutted there's no soft-scoring, was looking forward to playing an event that wasn't as heavy "win" focused and had used your soft-scoring as a justification to get my brother to agree coming along.  Completely appreciate the reason behind the decision (please don't think I'm having a go - organising an event isn't easy).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on Forgeworld else my brother is going to be running under points ;)

Yeh, my preference is definitely for soft scores. This just feels the right decision give the close proximity of the handbook. I figure that will provide the interest and excitement at the event as people try out all the cool new stuff.

If I'd kept heavy paint scores, then I believe more people would be disappointed to be penalised for trying something new etc. It's pretty much a lose-lose situation for me at this point. Whatever I decided upon at this late stage would (understandably) have it's detractors I'm sure. Whilst it's all well and good saying how cool it is to have the first GH2017 event etc, I will certainly avoid this time of year in future to just avoid such issues and get a pack out well ahead of time so no one can be disappointed!

I've made a decision, we're gonna roll with it and have loads of fun!

I see no reason to disallow FW, but need to read my GH first before confirming. Expect a decision by the end of the week on that front.

9 minutes ago, Siorra said:

I'm going to need a bit of clarification on what counts as "fully painted" here. My personal aim has been to get every model "base coated" - so appropriate colours on all sections of the models. 

As for bases, I use the Shattered Dominion bases which will be base coated and highlighted.

This is totally acceptable mate.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

@Chris Tomlin don't worry you have made the right choice GHB2017 = win win 

ill be eagerly pouring over my GHB2017 the Saturday before and fully expect to be painting late every night in the preceding week just adds to the fun doesn't it ?

Agreed! This'll be my first tournament, and I'd be genuinely disappointed if I wasn't idly panicking about what I might need to paint in the days beforehand.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

It's pretty much a lose-lose situation for me at this point. Whatever I decided upon at this late stage would (understandably) have it's detractors I'm sure. Whilst it's all well and good saying how cool it is to have the first GH2017 event etc, I will certainly avoid this time of year in future to just avoid such issues and get a pack out well ahead of time so no one can be disappointed!

Completely agree - it's damned if you do, damned if you don't for you because of the timing of the handbook!  Last year was end of July time so hopefully they've now fixed this time of year for the handbook update :)

• Like 2

I'm getting so excited for the event and desperately trying to paint enough Handgunners to field a big unit of them!

I hope people are up for Skirimsh on the Friday night! Me and Chris will have the details up as soon as possible but we will be running it almost straight out the book so there's no reason you can't get your thinking caps on already and start concocting lists! :D 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, bottle said:

I'm getting so excited for the event and desperately trying to paint enough Handgunners to field a big unit of them!

I hope people are up for Skirimsh on the Friday night! Me and Chris will have the details up as soon as possible but we will be running it almost straight out the book so there's no reason you can't get your thinking caps on already and start concocting lists! :D 

Barring any issues I plan on attending the skirmish. No painting required for my Doomwheel ?

Am excitedly awaiting times as can pack the top many games I will attempt to play!

• Like 1

Afternoon Ardboys!!

Thanks for the support everyone :x

Some more info here, it will all be collated into a PDF by next Monday evening at the latest, but good news everything you need is in here now. Please continue to ask questions if you can't find it as I get that it is all over the place at the moment!!

Saturday 2nd September - BLACKOUT Day One

Firestorm Games Opens: 09:00
Registration & Announcements: 09:00 - 09:30
Game One: 09:30 - 12:15
Lunch: 12:15 - 13:15 – After Game One please display you army so I can select Best Army nominees 
Game Two: 13:15 - 16:00
Game Three: 16:15 - 19:00
Firestorm Games Closes: 23:00

Sunday 3rd September - BLACKOUT Day Two

Firestorm Games Opens: 09:00
Game Four: 09:30 - 12:15
Lunch: 12:15 - 13:15 – After Game Four the Best Army nominees will display their armies for voting
Game 5: 13:15 - 16:00
Results Presentation: 16:30 - 17:00

There is a separate thread up now for the Friday Skirmish event. Would be fantastic to see a bunch of you taking part in that as well. It's free and has trophies! Thanks to @bottle for his help with this;

Please don't forget that close of play tomorrow is the final date for both new entrants and refunds. Really need to give final numbers to Firestorm Games after that. Also I'm still looking for a spare player if anyone is interested?

Cheers guys,
Chris

• Like 3

5 hours ago, James Ramsay said:

@Chris Tomlin Been away, is there still space to buy tickets?

Yeh go on then James, grab it today if you can please mate. :) 

If any one has any grudges not on the list, please get them in. Also still looking for a spare player.

Will PDFify (definitely a word) all the bits in here that essentially make up the "pack", suffice to say though I think everyone seems to know what's required now. Also; who reads a pack? ;) 

Units with Matched Play Profiles in the General's Handbook 2017 will be allowed (as well as Forgeworld*).

A couple of people have ask regarding Command Traits and Artefacts. These must be listed on a physical copy of your army list that you will submit on the Saturday morning and will be fixed for the weekend.

Keep the questions coming. Will update entrants later.

Chris

*Regarding Forgeworld, Saturday 26th is the cut off for any changes. I am not privy to further changes being made by them, but if they do make more (note the new Rogue Idol scroll) by this Saturday then those will be in play. Anything released after that time will be too close to the event so you'll have to use the older scroll. 

• Like 1