Events UK: BLACKOUT - 02-03/09/17 - Firestorm Games - PDF pack

Chris Tomlin

Event Title: BLACKOUT - 02-03/09/17 - Firestorm Games - PDF pack
Event Author: Chris Tomlin
Calendar: Events UK
Event Date: 09/02/2017 12:00 AM to 09/03/2017 12:00 AM

Hey guys,

With the events calendar filling up so quickly I wanted to pencil in my second two day event for later in the year; the return of BLACKOUT (I figured I probably should build a bit of brand as opposed to confusing people by renaming my events each time!).

CLICK FOR FULL TOURNAMENT PACK

**23/08/17 Update**

Here is a list of relevant information from throughout this thread. This will be collated into a proper "pack" by the end of the week. Apologies for the delay;

We will be 5 games of straight up Matched Play Warhammer, using 5 of the new Matched Play battleplans from the General's Handbook 2017. I will announce each battleplan before the start of the round. Please try to familiarise yourself with these beforehand.

Lists will be submitted to myself on the day (paper copy please). Command Traits and Artefacts must be listed and will not change for the duration of the event. I also ask that you have a second copy (paper or digital) that you exchange with your round one opponent. Please take a few moments to check each others lists before the game starts. Any errors spotted during this time can be amended without penalty, new Handbook and all that!

Whilst my preference is usually for soft score heavy events, I have made the decision that this event will be basing purely off gaming because of the new Handbook. I want to keep it as simple and inclusive as possible, with people being able to try out new armies and cool allies etc. I was slightly loathe to remove a cohesive requirement (or at least a bonus for doing so), however this is a one off, once again because of the new Handbook, and I would certainly return to soft scores in the future. Luckily we have Facehammer coming up a few weeks after which scratches that itch this year.

All models with matched play profiles in the General's Handbook 2017 can be used, as can the latest versions of any Forgeworld warscoll as of 26/08/17 (note Rogue Idol change). Also I am informed that updated matched play profiles are to be released for Compendium warscrolls on 26/08/17, so these will also be allowed.

All models must be based on suitable round/oval bases and of course we will be measuring to bases!
No other house rules as such, we will be following the Matched Play guidelines within the General's Handbook 2017 including Rules of One etc.

Terrain is not required.

• All models must be fully painted* and based otherwise they will be removed and you will incur a 10 point penalty. There is no requirement for armies to be cohesive. This is to encourage people to try out the new allies rules! Please note that WYSIWYG is still a thing though!!
  • 50 Tournament points available; Major Victory = 10, Minor Victory = 8, Draw = 5, Minor Defeat = 2, Major Defeat = 0
  • First tie break is Sports votes (be nice whilst winning!), the second is kill points scored.
  • Armies will be displayed on Saturday lunch so that I can shortlist Best Army nominations for a public/judge vote on Sunday. If your army includes reserve points, you can display additional models from your summoning pool, however the overall army you display cannot exceed 2,000 points.
  • Each player will vote for Best Sports at the end of the event, in the case of a tie, the highest placed player will win the award (win whilst being nice!).

The Trophies available are;

• 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place: as above these are scored purely on the 50 gaming TPs available, with sports first tiebreak (kill points 2nd).
  • 1st, 2nd, 3rd Best Army: these will be player judged from a nominated shortlist on the Sunday.
  • Judges Choice Best Painted Army: this will be my favourite army at the event, entirely possible it will be one of the above 3 though.
  • Best Sports: as above this will be based off player sports votes with the highest placed player winning in the event of a tie.
  • The Jen Lyons Thrills not Skills Award: this will be awarded to the player who finishes last. Your name will be carried forward to my next event.
  • Best In Alliance (Destruction, Chaos, Death & Order): these will be decided purely on Kill Points so can be won by anyone (except maybe @#SteveJames). In the unlikely event of a tie, highest placing will win.
  • Also the Friday night Skirmish will have trophies for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Best Warband and Best Sports

*I will not use the term "3 colour minimum" as it is open for abuse. If you are unsure whether your models are painted(?!), please get in contact with me.

Saturday 2nd September - BLACKOUT Day One

Firestorm Games Opens: 09:00
Registration & Announcements: 09:00 - 09:30
Game One: 09:30 - 12:15
Lunch: 12:15 - 13:15 – After Game One please display you army so I can select Best Army nominees 
Game Two: 13:15 - 16:00
Game Three: 16:15 - 19:00
Firestorm Games Closes: 23:00

Sunday 3rd September - BLACKOUT Day Two

Firestorm Games Opens: 09:00
Game Four: 09:30 - 12:15
Lunch: 12:15 - 13:15 – After Game Four the Best Army nominees will display their armies for voting
Game 5: 13:15 - 16:00
Results Presentation: 16:30 - 17:00

**07/08/17 Update**

This event will be played under The General's Handbook 2017!! Please see last post page 3 for more information. A full pack is to follow next week. There will also be a Skirmish event on the Friday.

**05/04/17 Update**

Tickets go on sale Saturday 8th April at 8pm GMT - £40 as PayPal (friends and family) to lunatic_pandora@btinternet.com (see below for more details)

So I'm pleased to be able to confirm the dates as 2nd & 3rd September 2017 and more exciting, the venue;

Firestorm Games, Cardiff

What's even better is I'll be able to offer a capacity of 100 players!

After the popularity of Tomorrow Burns in Weymouth, I figured it might be time to try my hand at a bigger event in a more easily accessible venue. As a massive fan of Cardiff events myself, this seemed an easy decision, made easier thanks to some conversations with @Mo Ashraf. I was keen to not step on any toes here and FYI I do not consider this a replacement or successor to the phenomenal Clash of Swords events Mo has run over the last few years, it's just me bringing my event to a different location. Who knows what will happen in the future, but for 2017, me bringing a big AoS event to Cardiff in the latter part of the year is just a good fit for everyone.

I've also been in discussion with the Facehammer boys to ensure no clash with their Grand Tournament. There is a lot of talking behind the scenes between TO's to avoid clashes as much as possible to try and make it easier for you guys to attend multiple events. It's a testament to AoS and the strength of our scene that the calendar is being booked up almost right to the end of the year in January!!

So get some dates pencilled in your calendar, start looking at hotels because they do get expensive and/or sell out in Cardiff. I've given as much notice as possible to hopefully make it easy to get yourselves sorted in good time (yeh right!!). I'm unsure when tickets will go on sale at present, so keep an eye on this topic.

Chris

BLACKOUT - 02-03/09/17 - Firestorm Games - PDF pack

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 9

Entrants

1. Paul Buckler
2. Mike Burgess
3. Laurie Huggett-Wilde
4. Patrick O'Sullivan
5. Rob Noyes
6. Tony Moore
7. Matthew Croad 
8. William Morriss
9. Kane Holloway
10. Sam Davies
11. Russ Veal
12. Les Martin
13. Donal Taylor
14. Chris Lewis
15. Elliot O'Neill
16. Sam Pearson
17. James Eveleigh
18. Steve Phillips 
19. Ian Gilmore
20. Robert Sedgeman
21. Rob Perrin
22. Ben Diesel
23. Rob Ellis
24. Liam Cook
25. Jonathon Kyprianidis
26. Mike Wilson
27. Jon Warmington
28. Richard Ciereszko 
29. Terry Pike
30. Paul Whitehead
31. Luke Whitehead
32. Ben Johnson
33. Steve Hursell
34. Dave Avery
35. Owyn Abram
36. Josh Richards
37. Ben Richard
38. Tom Hutchings
39. Aaron Bailey
40. Matt Arnold 
41. Nicholas Nunn 
42. Simon Eccles
43. Pete Allison
44. Chris Allison
45. Andrew Lewis
46. Joel Smith
47. Mark Saunders
48. Steve Smith
49. John Greene
50. James Hayday
51. William Crankshaw
52. Daniel Ford
53. Matthew Lyons
54. Jenny Lyons
55. Kieran Harper
56. David Brown
57. Ed Hamon
58. Jack McQuiggin
59. Hugh Halligan
60. Mike Parker
61. Jan Proudley
62. Joe Purcell
63. Michael Vernon
64. Paul Marshallsay
65. Matthew Sheret
66. Chris Thursten
67. Andrew Mackay
68. Danny Cashman
69. Marc Brookes
70. Stewart Callander
71. Nicholas Ruesink-Brown
72. Alex Clark
73. Mark Wildman
74. Benjamin Savva
75. Tom Lambert
76. Rob Bradley
77. Ian Ralph
78. Adrian Downey
79. Ricky Mee
80. James Boots
81. Carl Smith
82. Tom Pedley
83. Adrian McWalter
84. James Ramsey
85. Byron Orde

Round One Draw

1. Donal Taylor vs Sam Davies
2. Paul Buckler vs Chris Lewis
3. Matt Lyons vs Les Martin
4. Matt Arnold vs Steve Phillips
5. Simon Eccles vs Ben Johnson
6. Jen Lyons vs Ian Gilmore
7. Adrian McWalter vs Ricky Mee
8. Rob Ellis vs Ben Diesel
-
9. Stewart Callander vs Marc Brookes
10. Terry Pike vs Chris Allison
11. Tom Hutchings vs Rob Noyes
12. Robert Sedgeman vs James Ramsey
13. Paul Marshallsay vs Paul Whitehead
14. Ben Richard vs Rob Perrin
15. Carl Smith vs David Brown
16. Jan Proudley vs Rob Bradley
17. Daniel Ford vs Alex Clark
18. Jonathon Kyprianidis vs Pete Allison
19. Benjamin Savva vs Adrian Downey
20. Owyn Abram vs Mark Saunders
21. Matthew Croad vs Russ Veal
22. Elliot O'Neill vs Mike Wilson
23. Luke Whitehead vs Danny Cashman
24. William Morriss vs Joel Smith
25. Sam Pearson vs Chris Thursten
26. Dave Avery vs Kieran Harper
27. Patrick O'Sullivan vs Byron Orde
28. William Crankshaw vs Jack McQuiggin
29. Josh Richards vs Tom Lambert
30. Matthew Sheret vs Laurie Huggett-Wilde
31. Michael Vernon vs Ian Ralph
32. Richard Ciereszko vs Joe Purcell
33. Mark Wildman vs James Boots
34. Mike Burgess vs Ed Hamon
35. Liam Cook vs Steve Smith
36. Jon Warmington vs John Greene
37. Mike Parker vs Andrew Mackay
38. James Eveleigh vs Tom Pedley
39. Nicholas Nunn vs Andrew Lewis
40. James Hayday vs Nicholas Ruesink-Brown
41. Kane Holloway vs Hugh Halligan
42. Tony Moore vs Aaron Bailey

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:52 PM, N_Watson said:

Looks like i will actually be able to go. Me and the Mrs-to-be are planning a road trip honeymoon, so it just so happens we will be in Cardiff this weekend. Can't believe she is ok with this! Count me in! 

No way! That's awesome man. Great news, you've got a keeper there!!

Tickets will go on sale this Saturday. Details to follow.

• Like 2

Afternoon all,

Tickets for BLACKOUT will go on sale this Saturday, 8th April, at 8pm GMT. The cost is £40 which includes lunch on both days. Payment is to be made by PayPal as friends and family to lunatic_pandora@btinternet.com - There are 100 tickets available on a first come, first served basis. I have offered early access to some friends, local gamers and attendants of Tomorrow Burns. Tbh, I do not expect to sell 100 tickets. The idea is that everyone who wants to play, can...that said, the scene is pretty crazy right now, so don't miss out! ;) 

Please note that unlike my Weymouth events, there will not be commemorative glasses for entrants. I can't give too many more details on the event itself as present as of course The General's Handbook 2 will be out beforehand. Suffice to say it'll be 5 games of warhammer, most likely with soft scores and in general a really fun time! Dependant on how Shadespire pans out, I like the idea of running that on the Friday evening. I may also have a word with @bottle about running a Hinterlands event on Friday evening. All that needs to be hashed out though. We'll see.

If you are away at Heat 2 this week and are concerned, send me a tweet or text and I'm happy for you to pay early.

I also appreciate that these go on sale very close to the Facehammer GT tickets which is not ideal. Unfortunately I cannot afford to wait until May, this is mostly due to Cardiff hotels which are already very pricey for this weekend (so I really would advise against waiting...note to self; book a hotel!).

That said, I certainly don't want to impact anyone buying a Facehammer GT ticket, I want to see both events filled out nicely as they're gonna be great (me and the Facehammer boys made sure the events were as spaced apart as possible to encourage as many of you to come to both as possible). So if you're really struggling please get in touch and we can try to work something out.

Cheers,
Chris

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 1

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great support so far. Sold 57 tickets on the first evening which was fantastic. Had a couple more come in over the weekend. I will post a full list of entrants later this evening.

I have had plenty more interest (including loads of my mates who still haven't signed up...cheers boys!!) so am confident/hopeful of this hitting the 70 mark which would be brilliant.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:29 PM, Jamie the Jasper said:

How quickly are tickets likely to sell out? I'm really keen to go but will struggle to find the cash before the end of the month.

I think you'll be fine to wait until the end of the month mate. If there is a sudden rush then get in touch and we'll sort something out.

Thanks
Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No pack as of yet.

I'll get a basic structure up this month, however won't be able to go too much into specifics re the gaming side until we know more about GH2.

Will definitely update entrants this week as well.
Hopefully we'll have a few more payments this week as we've just gone past payday.