Events UK: BLACKOUT - 02-03/09/17 - Firestorm Games - PDF pack

Chris Tomlin

Morning,

@Thenecbromancer - Hi Dave, yeh was going to reply to your message today. I've been mostly off the forums/social media for around the last week. I've removed you from the list and will issue a refund today.

Please note that from this point out, Refunds will be issued on a discretionary basis.

I am aware that the General's Handbook 2 is not quite with us and we are getting ever closer to this event. My hope would be that everyone is super excited to play at the first General's Handbook 2 tournament, which it's highly likely this will be (much like Rain of Stars was for the first GH - and fortunately the players there really embraced it).

I know that the unknowing regarding points values, list composition etc is a pain when planning for a tournament, but just hang on in there for now. I think the shake up provided with GH2 will be really refreshing and should give us a memorable event.

I will make a final decision on this very soon, but it is certainly a given that if The General's Handbook 2017 is release on 19th August or before, then it will definitely be in use. If it's released on 26th August, I will still probably choose to go with, but it'll be a tougher call.

There are still many people that have shown interest and not yet bought a ticket. Please can you purchase tickets at the beginning of August at the latest if possible (or message me if otherwise). I will not be able to accommodate a large influx of players two weeks before the event or anything.

Many thanks,
Chris

• Like 5

Personally I'm happy to use the new handbook.  We're going to see previews over the next few weeks so I think it'll quickly become apparent if there are any earth shattering changes that'll mess people up.  I think it'll largely be tweaked points and new allegiance shenanigans!

• Like 3

On 26/07/2017 at 9:07 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

If it's released on 26th August, I will still probably choose to go with, but it'll be a tougher call.

I know you haven't asked for opinions, and very obviously you will have the final say and I'll be happy with it. But.......

For my money, even if GHB2017 is released on 26th August - go for it! The sooner we start using the new points the better. You have my total support on this one.

• Like 2

Morning,

Appreciate the posts @RuneBrush & @Soup Dragon - It is incredibly likely that this event will be General's Handbook 2017 and I hope to have this confirmed ASAP as I appreciate it's pretty ridiculous to not have anything confirmed this close to the event.

As advertised it will be a standard matched play, 2000 points, 5 game event - nothing out of the ordinary other than the fact we will be using the exciting new book (hopefully!!).

Unlike my Weymouth events, it is probably likely that I will have reduced soft scores hereto take into account that people may wish to try out some different things. I will endeavour to get everything set in stone ASAP, I know some people get a bit wound up about this kind of thing not being established ahead of time, which I totally appreciate, but given the circumstances let's just go with the flow and have ourselves some fun with the new Handbook all being well! Thanks for your patience.

I have issued a few refunds this morning.

There are still a whole bunch of people who have said they will be coming and have not yet purchased tickets. Don't miss out on what is looking like the first large General's Handbook 2017 event! EXCITING!!

Oh, grudges are a thing. Get on it!

Cheers,
Chris

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 1

Excited about this with one month to go. Booked the Friday off work.

Appreciate the posts @RuneBrush & @Soup Dragon - It is incredibly likely that this event will be General's Handbook 2017 and I hope to have this confirmed ASAP as I appreciate it's pretty ridiculous to not have anything confirmed this close to the event.

One observation - normally, the bad situation of having limited notice of a points change would result in one taking fewer models to a tournament than you were expecting to (one's undercosted filth getting pointed up higher) - this isn't onerous to such people. However, one curveball we've seen is the minimum size of Battleline units going up (e.g. Clanrats going to 20). This could force people to double the number of Battleline models they have to bring unexpectedly, which is onerous on the building and painting front.  

Edited by Nico
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nico said:

Excited about this with one month to go. Booked the Friday off work.

One observation - normally, the bad situation of having limited notice of a points change would result in one taking fewer models to a tournament than you were expecting to (one's undercosted filth getting pointed up higher) - this isn't onerous to such people. However, one curveball we've seen is the minimum size of Battleline units going up (e.g. Clanrats going to 20). This could force people to double the number of Battleline models they have to bring unexpectedly, which is onerous on the building and painting front.  

LOL - it wouldn't be a proper tournament if half the entrants weren't still painting their armies on the Friday night. Running it so close to GHB2017 release HELPS make it a proper event!!!! ;)

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:11 PM, Sangfroid said:

Room for a little one @Chris Tomlin Da Ghostwulfz are chomping to get a good Waaaagh! On under GHBtwentyseventeeeeeeeeen! 

YES! :) 

Ok then guys, let's just go with it.....

BLACKOUT will use The General's Handbook 2017

Now it is entirely possible that this publication will be released just a week before the event, which whilst not be ideal is surely exciting. Whatever the case, the new handbook will definitely be out by the time the event comes around so in my mind it seems totally backwards to use the old one.

I am super busy this week but will get out a pack with as much information as I can early next week. Suffice to say it will be lists on the day and a more relaxed paint scoring system than usual for my events.

@Nico raises a great point about the potential for batteline units to increase in size. I am loathe to run without battleline so would encourage people to use the next 4 weeks to paint up anything extra you may require.

I am really sorry for the seeming lack of organisation here, I've been holding off as long as I can for the GH2017, but it's not feasible to wait any longer. It's certainly not ideal how close the release falls, but I really hope that you'll all embrace it and see this as an exciting chance to try out the new stuff at a big event for the very first time!! I'm jealous I won't get to play with the new Ironjawz stuff...I'll have to live vicariously through @Sangfroid instead!

Now whilst I'm confident most people will be happy to go with the flow here, I do understand that this may put some people out and that is totally understandable. If this decision results in you not wanting to attend anymore, get in touch with me and at this stage I will still be able to refund you. Anyone feeling that way please let me know by this time next week.

As well as getting to play in the first big GH2017 event, BLACKOUT is also going to offer what I believe to be the first matched play Skirmish event. This will take place on the Friday evening and I am currently in talks with Firestorm before confirming the final details here. What makes this even more exciting is that I have skirmish supremo @bottle on board to assist!!

So once again, sorry for the lack of information guys. Hopefully we'll know more from GW next week (worth keeping an eye on their community page) and as I say, I'll have the pack out early next week as well...although obviously some details may remain vague until the Handbook is actually available! :S 

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 6

Good stuff. What I should have suggested was that for Battleline only you could choose between the old minimum sizes (and not any discount) or the new larger minimum and discount. Definitely not suggesting dumping Battleline requirement totally. Prospect of painting 20 more old  Chaos Marauders is a grim one. 

Hell yeah, totally on board with this decision. Will make for a really interesting event! I'm very happy that you've decided to go ghb2017, even if this may be a detriment to the amount of Kurnoth Hunters I can bring! Now where did I leave those spare dryads...

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Nico said:

Good stuff. What I should have suggested was that for Battleline only you could choose between the old minimum sizes (and not any discount) or the new larger minimum and discount. Definitely not suggesting dumping Battleline requirement totally. Prospect of painting 20 more old  Chaos Marauders is a grim one. 

To confirm, list selection will be straight up out of the book General's Handbook 2017. No concessions/amendments :) 

@Liam Cook - Thanks for the support mate! Bringing your cards along? B|

• Like 3

Hi Chris - could you please post up the timings of the final round on the Sunday - sorting out transportation. I don't think I've missed them - but apologies if I have.

Many thanks.

Edited by Nico

19 minutes ago, Nico said:

Hi Chris - could you please post up the timings of the final round on the Sunday - sorting out transportation. I don't think I've missed them - but apologies if I have.

Many thanks.

Hey Nico,

The schedule has not yet been published, you haven't missed it. It will be finalised next week, just waiting to hear back from Firestorm at present. However;

The awards ceremony will take place between 16:30-17:00 on Sunday

Hope this help and apologies for the delay.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

To confirm, list selection will be straight up out of the book General's Handbook 2017. No concessions/amendments :) 

@Liam Cook - Thanks for the support mate! Bringing your cards along? B|

Yeah big time - was thinking of maybe sorting out a draft Friday night thing, but don't want to clash with skirmish. Gives people a chance to play but not commit!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Skeekrit said:

Hi Chris,

Sorry about this, but I can no longer attend. Double booked by the other half, whilst I was trying to find accomodation. Hopefully I can down to Blackout / Cardiff again soon. Hope it doesn't give you too much trouble.

Declan

Nooooo!  I was thinking of grudging you too!

Morning all,

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, Andy Mackay said:

Hi Chris,

Could you tell me if there's any requirements to bring our own scenery? I only own a couple of bits.  If we need to bring any more I'll have to get painting!

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy, no scenery required, Firestorm Games will provide this :) 

15 hours ago, Skeekrit said:

Hi Chris,

Sorry about this, but I can no longer attend. Double booked by the other half, whilst I was trying to find accomodation. Hopefully I can down to Blackout / Cardiff again soon. Hope it doesn't give you too much trouble.

Declan

That's a shame Declan! Refund sorted.

12 hours ago, Arnie said:

Chris,

Can you stick me down as grudging Steve Phillips please?

Yes mate, will add now.

Ok, think that should be everyone refunded who has dropped recently;

Dave Roberts +2
Chris Appleford
James Grant
Declan Waters
Mark Caseley
Balal Zafar

Added a few new entrants to the list. Final deadline for new entrants and refunds is Saturday 19th August.

Many thanks,
Chris