First game of matched play

Kuwanger23

So I played my first game of matched play today in our stores league that began this week.  I have played fantasy for the last 19 years but never got into AoS.  I love the synergy of the faction and what they have done with the game to be honest.  But I do want to know if the below list is kinda powerful in 1000pts.  I didn't want to run Soul blight and elite stuff in the beginning so I did some death rattle and made a skeleton horde.  I stacked def for attrition and ran big units for attacks.  It went better than expected.  A little too good.  

Necromancer 120 pts
Wight with banner 120pts
40 skeletons spears 320pts
40 skeletons spears 320pts
5 black knights 120pts 

that was the list.  I opted to go second for obvious reasons.  I one the initiative roll and was able to alpha with one skelly unit and the knights.   We did play scenario but after turn three there weren't any Orks left on the table.  Is this list not beginner friendly?  I have another game coming up next week against someone with the same experience as me and new to the game as well.  But I don't want to scare him off.  

yeah take the other wight king if you want to tone it down. it jsut depends on what your opponent brings. The orcs are a lot fast and orc player sorts tend to move forward agressively which as funny as it sounds orcs should never do. Orcs have a speed advantage over most other armies so any charges should be on thier terms not yours. 

I have had very similar experiences vs. Iron jawz. It just seems to be a very favorable match up. Unless your opponent can figure out a way to pressure your hero's they will just get outgunned by your skels.

My friend has had some success if he can time out a joint charge and battleshock off a block in one turn so it's not unwinnable per say.

You could consider trying out the legion of death to tone it down a bit at 1k, still fun to play and you would only need graveguard.

That would be nice to increase my threat.  Also reduce my attacks because I would need to make smaller units.  One 30 man and two 10 mans.  Which is severely worse lol.  

40 skeletons spears 320
10 skellys hws 80
10 skellys hws 80
5 black knights 120
10 grave guard 160
1 necromancer 120
1 wight w/banner 120

Not too shabby.  But those GG would be insane as well.  Not sure I made the list much worse lol.  2 chaff units of skellys to block and hold is a good thing to have.  

5 hours ago, Ao_Death said:

I have had very similar experiences vs. Iron jawz. It just seems to be a very favorable match up. Unless your opponent can figure out a way to pressure your hero's they will just get outgunned by your skels.

My friend has had some success if he can time out a joint charge and battleshock off a block in one turn so it's not unwinnable per say.

You could consider trying out the legion of death to tone it down a bit at 1k, still fun to play and you would only need graveguard.

Nah i think IRonjaws are one of the only armies that can really stand toe to toe with our horde of troops. The thing is as Iron jaws you have the ironfist to move up the board riddiculously fast to try to get first turn charges, and the gorefist to keep all out stahnet and slow troops penned in our deployment unable to do anything for a turn or two. 

21 hours ago, Kuwanger23 said:

That would be nice to increase my threat.  Also reduce my attacks because I would need to make smaller units.  One 30 man and two 10 mans.  Which is severely worse lol.  

40 skeletons spears 320
10 skellys hws 80
10 skellys hws 80
5 black knights 120
10 grave guard 160
1 necromancer 120
1 wight w/banner 120

Not too shabby.  But those GG would be insane as well.  Not sure I made the list much worse lol.  2 chaff units of skellys to block and hold is a good thing to have.  

True, it's still a very good list. I think it may leave your opponents more tactical outs at least. While deadly grave guard seem to be made out of tissue paper. If your opponents can get to them it could change the outcome.

Also you forgot the points for the formation so you would need to either drop down to 30 skels or cut the necromancer. Both options would power it down a bit.

17 hours ago, mmimzie said:

Nah i think IRonjaws are one of the only armies that can really stand toe to toe with our horde of troops. The thing is as Iron jaws you have the ironfist to move up the board riddiculously fast to try to get first turn charges, and the gorefist to keep all out stahnet and slow troops penned in our deployment unable to do anything for a turn or two. 

Perhaps it's my list then, I find that oftentimes my opponent is forced to trade their expensive units to clear chaff only to get run over by my deathrattle horde. Then I follow up with my hyper mobile flying units to secure victories.

Archived