Map-based / Matrix Campaigns

BaldoBeardo

In all seriousness, have a look at the General's Compendium the US White Dwarf team put together during 6th ed WFB. It's been a while and I'm a little rusty on exactly what's in there, but I remember a load of pretty great rules for map based campaigns. You could even bring them up to speed for games of AoS by introducing a special realmgate territories that players could use to hop armies to each other across the map.

Map based campaigns tend to work best with 2 players, so you can build the flow between areas up as armies clash and much like a fencing dual or the example campaign in the General's Handbook go back and forth.

For multiple players divide up the map into battleplans, with 2 per player. Split half the players into attackers and half into defenders. Round 1 the attackers pick a defender's territory to attack and play that battleplan. If the attacker wins, he gets that territory and remains an attacker. If the defender wins or it's a draw they become an attacker for the next round. If you run out of territory, you become a roving band who can attack anyone, attacker or defender but must score a major victory to take a piece of terrain. At the end of your various rounds points are awarded for most fun game, by territory held and by victories won

Thanks for the map campaign stuff. Maybe needed to be a little clearer? Was looking more at using a map as normally understood but with generals issuing sealed "orders" that feed into a matrix scenario generator.
E.g. general A decides to invade general B.
General B has decided to invade A, so a standard battle scenario.
Or B declares he'll anticipate an attack, so it results in "The Trap", or he decides to reinforce and that plays "The Ritual", etc. Etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Thanks for the map campaign stuff. Maybe needed to be a little clearer? Was looking more at using a map as normally understood but with generals issuing sealed "orders" that feed into a matrix scenario generator.
E.g. general A decides to invade general B.
General B has decided to invade A, so a standard battle scenario.
Or B declares he'll anticipate an attack, so it results in "The Trap", or he decides to reinforce and that plays "The Ritual", etc. Etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You essentially want to make a tabletop version of total war? :)

If so i like it.

27 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Not quite. Otherwise I'd just be handing out envelopes containing Mars bars, £5 notes and letters asking people to let me have their stuff.

Dont quite get the analogy but fair enough.

As it reads you have a overworld map. You make your moves (or commands) on the map and your actions (Invading ambushing defending etc) will dictate what battles you play out with your opponent?

Archived