Starting 'older' armies - worth it?

Immersturm

I have been eying Free People and Ironweld Arsenal. However, those are old factions and AoS appears to have a more mythological approach, so chances are these ranges will fade away with time or remain as they are while new human factions will be added. Nonetheless, do you think it is worth investing in those in the hopes they will be expanded? Or rather not risk it and go with the new ones?

Buy what you want, imo. Nothing currently available in the webstore has any indication of changing other than the LoC/Fatey for the new model. I don't see them phasing out existing plastic kits at the moment unless they replace them. While "Free Peoples" might not get an update any time soon, Order will get new stuff and you can (and should) mix and match within the faction.

I think that we can work on the basis that at this point all the mass removals of models has been done, so if models are currently available you don't have to worry about them disappearing.

On the other hand although I think expansion of current factions is part of the long term plan the question as a player will be how long these long term plans are. If you are happy to pick up what is available now and use that and add in new stuff as it comes up then go for it.

On a Knightly Order, foot knights are covered pretty well by the Freeguild Great Swords warscroll, and mounted knights can be easily covered off by the brettonian options from the compendium. Would also be a really lovely looking army

If your not bothered about playing in comps that much (Like myself) then collect what you like.

I love my retro wanderer army (wardancers, orion, forest drake etc)

I have an up to date army as well but i quite like making use of what i now consider "Non mainstream" armies.

Its good to be different!!

11 minutes ago, KHHaunts said:

If your not bothered about playing in comps that much (Like myself) then collect what you like.

I love my retro wanderer army (wardancers, orion, forest drake etc)

I have an up to date army as well but i quite like making use of what i now consider "Non mainstream" armies.

Its good to be different!!

Heh, that's the charme, isn't it. You aren't yet another Stormcast player. Not that I will stop playing Stormcasts though :D

Just now, Immersturm said:

Heh, that's the charme, isn't it. You aren't yet another Stormcast player. Not that I will stop playing Stormcasts though :D

Well its like with the tzeentch release. I LOVE the new LOC and will proberbly get one for painting. but so many people will jump on that army bandwagon as soon as its out id rather wait a while.

I did the same for sylvaneth.

As someone who's just about to start building a Freeguild Regiment (my list comes out just shy of 2000pts), I'd definitely say it's worth it!

Plenty of variety, a smattering of synergies, and something unusual for your opponents to face. 

No idea if it's any good, but worth it? Hell yes!?

I've been interested in starting Dark elves, but I feel like I should wait...

That said, if you play mostly for fun then it seems like a solid idea to start freeguild if you like the more basic human aesthetic. Like others have said, they won't remove the models anytime soon, but don't expect any major updates either.

There's rumour of a "regular humans" faction on the rise, so it might combo well with that :)

My advice is to not start any old world armies until they get proper battletomes. A couple of exceptions like Skaven and Nurgle are out there with pretty complete ranges and passable rules but I'd strongly advise anyone starting out not to base their collection on factions that took over from, say, old Ogres (not Beastclaw), Empire, Dwarves, any Elves, O&G (basic Orcs and all Goblins) or anything from the old Chaos trinity that hasn't had tomes.

As an old army player myself I would recommend against it.

Yes the old armies are still playable but the way that many of them have been chopped up does not feel particularly fluid and the fact that many of the models are getting harder and herder to obtain often makes the whole thing frustrating.  If you only play for fluff and fun by all means pick up whatever catches your eye and enjoy it. For me the biggest bit is knowing that likely the updated armies will be released soon and whatever I buy and paint know will have a cooler more updated version shortly. 

All of this aside unless you're trying to win major tournaments I feel like you should just play whatever calls to you whether its an old army or every new release that GW sends out.

Hey OP. 

I had a similar instinct to you and I just started recently. I built a free guild and ironweld army and now I have bretonnians and New and old dwarfs to round it out. Building what I wanted took some old game store searching and ebay but I did it. It is fun to play, wins sometimes, and has some good matchups. 

The thing I figure out later when I wondered why stuff like empire knights were taken out was that because very similar units exist already. For still in print order take a look at Dragon Blades or Drakespawn Knights. They do very similar things to the Empire and Reiksguard. Download the app to see it, since it is free. 

If i had to do all over again i would have bought the dragon blades and proxed them as knights if needed. You could even use human heads on your other sets to make them match. 

Overall I am happy with my army. No regrets since i love the theme and love painting them. Some of the newer battalions feel stronger however. Mostly because they have cool special moves. 

I think go for it for all the reasons listed above and I will add two brutally practical arguments as well 

1. Painting models while somewhere in the back of your mind you're still thinking about freeguild sucks. It will become a chore while it could be a pleasure 

2. Starting a new army (start collecting boxes exempted) is an expensive business but there are whole lots of 'old' armies being traded or sold on the bcheap. 

So my advice go for it  it's your hobby so make sure your having fun not only playing but also modeling/painting.

9 hours ago, mhsellwood said:

I think that we can work on the basis that at this point all the mass removals of models has been done, so if models are currently available you don't have to worry about them disappearing.

On the other hand although I think expansion of current factions is part of the long term plan the question as a player will be how long these long term plans are. If you are happy to pick up what is available now and use that and add in new stuff as it comes up then go for it.

Think this sums up my thoughts too.  If you can still purchase models, then I don't think you'll be wasting time/effort/money.  I think you need to apply normal army building common sense though, look at the relevant warscrolls and make sure that you feel it will work on the table as some of the synergies between the older models/warscrolls aren't quite as strong.  The biggest argument for building an older style army is that when it does get a fresh battletome you'll be ready to roll from the start.

Just to add my 2cents, I play Freeguild (admittedly had the army from WHFB), and in the order allegiance they seem to be one of the few 'fleshed-out' older armies in the generals handbook. They lost a few units to the compendium, like the knights, but to me this says they will only really add to the subfaction from this point, rather than eliminate them completely.

33 minutes ago, Immersturm said:

My thoughts were also drifting towards Devoted of Sigmar. It gives you an opportunity to build a Sigmarite Crusade with Stormcasts, Pilgrims and maybe some regular humans as well
from the Freeguild.

I'm crossing all my fingers that the latest rumour picture will be Devoted of Sigmar related. Hoping for some cool religious models to cut through the evils of chaos!

My only concern fielding them as they currently stand is a lot of the buffs from the war altar & warrior priests only apply to 'Devoted of Sigmar' keywords.

But regarding your initial concern, I don't think Devoted are going anywhere, they've included them in a lot of the photos in the books, and they worship Sigmar! Plus the war altar is an awesome model.

So I think if anything they'll just receive some new units and a battletome, rather than removing any of the units currently included.

Adding some Knight Templar esque models to the devoted faction would be amazing. Also, what rumour pictures? Was there anything beyond the new Tzeentch stuff?

Edit: I just checked the rumour thread. A devoted of sigmarexpansion seems very likely. If devoted of tzeentch are the antagonists, the Order of Azyr are the protagonists. I do hope Order of Azyr are the devoted and not a separate faction.

And hey, this could the birth of the AoS Inquisition. A vastly more competent, reasonable and just than the 40k I hope :D

43 minutes ago, Immersturm said:

And hey, this could the birth of the AoS Inquisition. A vastly more competent, reasonable and just than the 40k I hope :D

That's the dream, I've always loved the idea of warrior priests stamping out chaos and wherever it can be found!

Templar knights of some description would be great! Maybe on demigryphs to tie them in with the other human factions.

7 hours ago, Immersturm said:

Adding some Knight Templar esque models to the devoted faction would be amazing. Also, what rumour pictures? Was there anything beyond the new Tzeentch stuff?

Edit: I just checked the rumour thread. A devoted of sigmarexpansion seems very likely. If devoted of tzeentch are the antagonists, the Order of Azyr are the protagonists. I do hope Order of Azyr are the devoted and not a separate faction.

Witch hunters are a part of the devoted of sigmar faction they have anti wizard rules. The order of ayzr work together with the Warrior priests.

I have been eying Free People and Ironweld Arsenal. However, those are old factions and AoS appears to have a more mythological approach, so chances are these ranges will fade away with time or remain as they are while new human factions will be added. Nonetheless, do you think it is worth investing in those in the hopes they will be expanded? Or rather not risk it and go with the new ones?

For someone starting brand new I would strongly suggest purchasing models that are readily available on GW's website rather than hunting down discontinued models.

I have a rather large collection of models, of which the vast majority are now compendium warscrolls. While I still plan on painting and playing everything I would not advice a new player to spend their time doing that.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

On 13/01/2017 at 8:25 AM, Immersturm said:

If you like the models and prefer the hobby side, I highly recommend the Old World range and really enjoy painting them.

If you're more of a gamer, I'd suggest you stay clear for now (as most people have suggested). A few tournaments have started to ban the older range that is found in compendiums while the ones that have been brought into AoS aren't as fleshed out or supported as the newer models. 

11 hours ago, b1ackni9htgaming said:

For someone starting brand new I would strongly suggest purchasing models that are readily available on GW's website rather than hunting down discontinued models.

I have a rather large collection of models, of which the vast majority are now compendium warscrolls. While I still plan on painting and playing everything I would not advice a new player to spend their time doing that.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I am by no means new. I played SCE since release and got a good handful of tournaments under my belts. However, I do not mind expanding, because I am longing for an army of faithful dudes.

Archived