Eternal guard in 2k wanderer lists.

Dracothjay

So, eternal guard are the perfect objective holders. I have a unit of 20 in my 1k list.

my question is at 2k is it wise to go with 2 units of 20 or 1 unit of 30? At 160 points for a unit of 20 is cheap as chips, and if there is multiple objectives to hold 2 units of 20 is sensible, but people have different views so advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

Two units of 20 seems like the most sensible choice, as in Blood and Glory, Border War and Escalation you're going to be going after three or four objectives, in Gifts from the Heavens you don't know where your objective will land and will want to be able to camp it on the turn it shows up, and even babystitting the objective in Take and Hold will be easier if your opponent's got to divide their fire between two different units.

I've never come up against these guys and they don't exactly seem like Order's plaguebearers; do they combo well with any other Wanderer units or is their main appeal costing 80 points?

well, in terms of combo they have a brutal couple of abilities. Eternal guard can lock shields adding +1 to their save, but Can't move, which puts them on a 4+ save rerolling 1's. The sisters of the thorn buff allows them to reroll all failed saves and a roll of a 6 a mortal wound is dished out to the enemy unit attacking. However, that 6+save mortal wound roll can be dropped to a 4+ with the shield lock and Mystic shield as they are both +1 modifiers. Hence why they are perfect for objective holding. Also, when Eternal guard lock shields they go from a 4+/4+ to a 3+/3+ and if they are in cover they can reroll saves of a 1 AND 2

Sisters of the watch are pretty much married to Eternal guard as Eternal guard fight best standing still. Sisters of the watch have a similar ability, if they do not move they can fire twice in one shooting phase. so a unit of 10 can fire 21 shots, 1 extra for champion and they are 3+/3+.

Wyldwood rangers look amazing to play, but only against monsters as they do D3 damage and have 2 attacks each 3+/3+. with a 5+ save though, i don't see the point in taking them unless there are monsters on the field.

Archived