Random traits and artefacts or not ?

Hounsou83

4 hours ago, Nico said:

Taking away the Ward save crutch from them in competitive matched play games (please do whatever you like in narrative/open play - make up your own allegiance packs for Fyreslayers and post them on TGA - go wild) utterly crushes what is already the worst Grand Alliance. This leaves them with the dismal rational options of YOLO with Nagash and maybe Neferata* - sacrificing the command trait completely in exchange for an overcosted (pending a lore of spells) named hero (and no credible counters to pew pew that work effectively). 

I don't see anywhere in the faq that says or implies that Death alliance lost the ward save "crutch"...

Just now, CoffeeGrunt said:

I think he's referring to Death players not being able to reliably take Ruler of the Night every time.

Oh ok then.

Contributing to the actual topic I must say that I always pick. I really hated the warlord traits in 40k where you had to roll for them.

Gamewise it is essential that you get to pick your trait and artifact, beacause otherwise the stategic element of these options becomes irrelevant and as others have already said can create unfair advantages in a battle.

Fluffwise it is even more important for me to pick. I mean what? My character forgot which magic item he has? Is it every time rented? And don't get me starting about the random spells wfb had. Why on earth must my wizard know random spells??? I mean he has studied them his whole life and he should know really well his stuff...

16 hours ago, Siegfried VII said:

Contributing to the actual topic I must say that I always pick. I really hated the warlord traits in 40k where you had to roll for them. Gamewise it is essential that you get to pick your trait and artifact, beacause otherwise the stategic element of these options becomes irrelevant and as others have already said can create unfair advantages in a battle.

Yeah that always bugged me in 40K. 99% of the time you roll something that has absolutely no use to you and end up forgetting it.

I'm all for picking traits myself, I'm not a big fan of randomness in the army list selection stage. I like to choose equipment options to reflect what my models are armed with and what their backstory is, and to come up with interesting combos and synergies with their abilities. Rolling randomly for something that I might not want or be able to use just isn't as much fun for me!

Ideally I'd like to see the artefacts and traits become balanced enough that there are compelling reasons to pick any of them depending on the army you're running rather than there being any universally strong or weak options, though. 

At least in 40K you have a whole bunch of different tables to choose from, and can usually re-roll the result. I've personally found that I'm able to get something at least moderately useful about 50% of the time.

There's also the 40K named characters who come with a fixed trait. AoS has something similar, but for Death at least, most named characters' command abilities aren't really good enough to make up for the loss of Ruler of the Night (especially considering they also replace whatever generic character's command ability you would have had).

If I get to pick my army, battalions, units, weapons on units, etc. I don't see why I can't pick traits and artefacts. I find it especially strange in tournaments that don't allow you to pick. What is the point of hosting a serious competetive event if you're going to let my Frostlord roll Battlebrew and my Death opponent roll red thirst for his necromancer? Hell, having him roll the summon-based stuff when not having anything to summon?

And like others said, some are just useless unless picked in aspecific army, and it makes no sense from a fluff perspective either (that necromancer sure is angry). I'm all for GW balancing the traits and artefacts, but for now, I think picking them is fair.

1 hour ago, Chickenbits said:

If I get to pick my army, battalions, units, weapons on units, etc. I don't see why I can't pick traits and artefacts.

Agreed, especially since we finally get to pick spells - ending the decades of frustration over rolling for them. 

In light of this, the Adepticon rules modification is particularly disappointing - one of two or three things in the rules pack that quite nearly put me off going (as it is, I'm taking a spectacularly non-competitive force, I think, since it will be my first matched play 'serious' experience and I am confused by the standard army building rules to begin with, so this tweak won't really harm me).

Brayherd lost the ability to use their old Battalion (to be fair I haven't double checked this) - Warherd lose it as Minotaurs became Bullgors. Perhaps if none of the Warscroll names changed, then Brayherd cling on to their Furious Brayherd.... If so - apologies.

On 11/01/2017 at 10:32 PM, Hounsou83 said:

i found that randomizing General traits ... spells and  magical artifacts is better than let the player choose them.  the Random method does not permits always to have cheesy characters like , for example,an invincible ancient treelord that every Silvaneth player would play or other "bad" combinations 

Honestly, it depends on the players involved.  Personally, I pick my armies according to the background, and that includes the command traits and magic items, e.g. my orcs are led by a black orc warboss who naturally has the "bellowing tyrant" trait, because a black orc wouldn't be anything else!  Similarly, my chaos sorcerer on manticore has "terrifying presence" because manticores are scary!  Are those optimal choices?  Almost certainly not, but they're just so thematic!

However, for competitive play, there's a case to be made that rolling for them can add an extra layer (comes under "adapting with unexpected situations") and helps limit "cheesing", although given some results won't work, a re-roll might be advisable (which you already do).

Another point in "picking"s defence is that it limits bookkeeping, something that we see a lot in 40k. It also speeds up the game.

Anyone who has played a daemon army in 40k what a nightmare it is to roll for every power, trait and everything else. If you factor in re-rolls and stuff, needing to write them down, keeping track of what you got this game and what hero had which item... it starts to become a lot like 40k bookkeeping, something that I'm pretty sure we *all* want gone from this game.

Simply put, picking items and traits speed things up, and is the most fair way to play imo. 

Archived