Vote for new forum areas for Army Lists

Ben

New forum areas for Army Lists  

392 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want sub forums for army list in the Grand Alliance sections

• Yes, a separate section to split off army lists would be great
    • No, too many sub forums is bad

This poll is closed to new votes

This has been brought up a few times so I thought I would put it to a vote.  

Choose the option you like.

FYI, the only reason I haven't just done this already is because I think too many subforms detracts form the user experience of the forum as a whole.  We also have a pretty robust tagging system in place (this might be the answer TBH, enforced tag choices in the Grand Alliance sections)

The Grand Alliance sections were set-up with the intention of covering everything related to that Alliance.  For example, if all the list discussion in Order are moved to Grand Alliance Order > Army List discussion, then what is left in the Grand Alliance Order section.  

IMO you end up with more sections that actually contain less posts making the forum look less busy to new comers and more 'click, click, clinking' for users. 

I am however open to be swayed so a vote is up for a week.  

enjoy! 

In my opinion, there's no need for that yet. Seperating the Grand Alliances into army list and other sections will likely just reduce the overall amount of traffic. Until the main groups become flooded with army list threads, there's really no reason to separate them. Nothing is gained, and some may be lost.

I disagree, from personal experience I know that people actively look for those sections and search for army lists. At the moment any discussion threads are being lost under the vast amount of 'rate my list' posts. A separate sub forum under each grand alliance would allow for people to find the information they need far easier and the discussion threads would be healthier as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've mixed feelings.  On the one hand this would make things slightly tidier in the various GA sections, allowing fluff, rule and random discussion to be had separate from the numerous "what do you think of my list" and "what's the best xxx list".  However I do think it risks taking us further down the road of making AoS into a list-building game first and foremost, which is something that was a breath of fresh air when the game originally came along.

2 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

A separate sub forum under each grand alliance would allow for people to find the information they need far easier and the discussion threads would be healthier as a result.

I don't think this would actually help this specific problem - at the risk of being mean, most users simply don't look for things very well.  If it takes more than a couple of minutes (at the most) then you can bet that somebody will just create a new thread on the same subject!

15 minutes ago, Screwface said:

The listexiters are winning. See this is why referendums are a bad idea. 

We are gonna build a list, a great list! The biggest list ever! And we are going to make those Warhammer space marines pay for it! :-)

In my opinion this needs to happen, sub-forums should be used when there are distinct areas of discussion that risk cluttering up other threads of a different purpose and for ease of finding relevant content.

As a recent new lurker to this forum I remember experiencing this issue first hand.  Also when looking for army lists of a specific faction I was using search tools which is never an ideal user experience.

IMO this is a bad idea for all of the reasons listed by @Ben. Really surprised "Yes" is currently winning, the alliance forums are pretty much just army list discussion anyway!! Honestly don't see what this achieves.
In this instance, dictatorship > democracy Mr Curry.

Easier to netlist innit.

Sent from the Hidden Enclaves via the Realmroots

To be fair, by creating an Army List Sub forum, it would remove the lists from the alliance forums, would make the chat a bit more focussed without discussing the lists. If you are going to make it, just make it an Army list forum rather than one for each alliance?

I'll just say go to bilter and chain sword and look at the army list post. Most of them have 1 or 2 replies for constructive feed back at best. But if you look at army list rhat people post in the wrong place such as in the main fourms for thier factions they get souble or teiple the response beforw they are moved.

I think alot of new blood have thier first post wither asking a question in the question sub fourm or posting thier first list. Making them feel ignored would suck for community growth.

7 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

In this instance, dictatorship > democracy Mr Curry.

until he disagrees with you right ;) 

But personally voted yes on basis that you could give it a months trial see how it works. Personally would love it if the Realmgate wars were all move to general and the subforum closed. Not enough people reply and it's not down to the quality (my own post excluded). Move it all so no content gets lost if doesn't work but why not give it a chance. 

12 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I voted yes but mainly because I don't want any ruling on this to affect the chances of having a Narrative play sub forum. Tactical voting sorry. 

No danger of that.  There is a narrative section coming soon. 

17 hours ago, Nubgan said:

To be fair, by creating an Army List Sub forum, it would remove the lists from the alliance forums, would make the chat a bit more focussed without discussing the lists. If you are going to make it, just make it an Army list forum rather than one for each alliance?

Quite like this idea, have a "Army Lists" section and one for each GA.  Because the forum allows you to expand/collapse sections people who are only interested in one particular item could easily hide off the bits they're not bothered about seeing :)

I've closed the poll on this.

The results are 70/30 split in favour of new sections with around 400 participants.  

I'm not at all convinced that this is a good idea but seeing as there is a good sized majority I will monitor the forums and see how it goes.  

The poll was to gauge interest, not to enforce a new section being opened.  

I will not be setting up a new section yet, as its easier to hang fire then add it rather than put it up now and take it away later.  

In the mean time, please continue to post army list related discussions in the Grand Alliance sections.  This is exactly what I set them up for in the first place and also use the TAGGING system.  

Archived