Skirmish Varients?

Lucio

My gaming group is looking to try some Kill Team style action in the 8 Realms and were looking at what would represent a fun game for people to play in. What are your thoughts on the following guidelines for a Skirmish style game of AoS ? Have you seen any others ? Got your own ideas?

250 pts to select
Max 1 Hero or Wizard unit
Max 8 Wounds on any one model

You divide the unit cost by the number of models to get an individual price point

Command Abilities apply to a single model, rather than a unit

Unit Leader, Musician and Banner Bearer can only be taken once per minimum quantity, so if you must usually take 10 miniatures, you can take a Leader as the first choice, but can't take a second Leader until you've got 10 other models of the same type in your list.

Banner Bearers and Muscians work within 3" of the bearer, only 1 of each can affect a model during any one turn.

Combats are activated per player, and for all models of your side involved in that particular combat, this means ganging up on someone is often deadly as you have to kill off all the opposition not to risk getting struck back.

Mortal Wounds allow armour saves, but are treated as Rend -1 (this is to stop mortal wound units dominating)

Possible scenarios would be based around objectives such as take and hold, retrieve the shiny (6 objectives, roll on getting close, if your roll matches the objective number, it's the shiny), stop them escaping (one group in the middle and must exit the board, others close in from the outside). Thoughts are to make this more objective based, rather than solely killing everyone to win.

I think what might help here, would be to restrict to heros only under 8 wounds.  This will be pretty similar to your kill team game, and be very mordhiem esk. 

This i think doesn't end up having to be too rules bulky, and kind of works straight out of the box.

5 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Check out @bottle's Hinterlands rules, they're really good and nice to look at to boot!

Thanks for the plug :D and yeah, feel free to look, borrow, change, amend, ignore as you see fit. For playing one off battles it is only 1 page of rules - to add a campaign element (injures/experience/skills/loot/scenarios) it is another 3. I've tried to make it as simple and quick to use as possible.

33 minutes ago, bottle said:

Thanks for the plug :D and yeah, feel free to look, borrow, change, amend, ignore as you see fit. For playing one off battles it is only 1 page of rules - to add a campaign element (injures/experience/skills/loot/scenarios) it is another 3. I've tried to make it as simple and quick to use as possible.

tried two one off games with those rules. They worked like a charm

Archived