Dispossesed Longbeards Question

ANevskyUSA

I have a question about one of the Longbeards' grumble abilities. One of them allows a Dispossessed Hero to use a command ability even if not the general. Leaving aside the named characters in Dwarf Compendium, the only Dispossessed Hero with a command ability on the warscroll is the Warden King. Does this mean that the Longbeards' hero grumble only works if a hero other than the Warden King is the general, or does it mean that the Longbeard unit allows a non-general Runelord or Unforged to use Inspiring Presence?

As far as I can remember that's correct. Don't have the app with me but I assume you checked the unforged for command abilities? 

But a use for that grumble could be: Bring a runelord make him the general and keep him back in scenarios that require a general or award points for killing generals. That way you can be a bit more reckless with the dwarf lord. 

Or two lord and post one on both flanks. But that's probably one for bigger game. 

But a use for that grumble could be: Bring a runelord make him the general and keep him back in scenarios that require a general or award points for killing generals. 

If you're only using inspiring presence, you would likely be better off making a unit champion your general (or any model in a big block of tough dudes). Obviously, you then remove him last as you allocate damage. Give the general Reckless since that's the no-brainer choice. The champion/general projects the Reckless aura, not the whole unit he is in.

Watch out for Giants, Deadly Terrain, Hand of Dust etc..

On 1/3/2017 at 1:11 PM, Nico said:

If you're only using inspiring presence, you would likely be better off making a unit champion your general (or any model in a big block of tough dudes). Obviously, you then remove him last as you allocate damage. Give the general Reckless since that's the no-brainer choice. The champion/general projects the Reckless aura, not the whole unit he is in.

Watch out for Giants, Deadly Terrain, Hand of Dust etc..

Thats even better although you lose a bit of mobility a single character gives you. But def. less vulnerable. 

If mobility is what I am after (and it is not strict matched play) I make my general a gyrocopter pilot in a unit of 3. That way you have 12 wounds, 14", and a 4+ save. It is great for scenarios like The Ritual, where he can hang out on the flank until you shoot open a path to the artifact then make it in during just one movement phase

Archived