Tales of Sigmar presents: AoS Community Champion Award 2016 - Voting

Tales of Sigmar presents: AoS Community Champion Award 2016 - Voting  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you feel deserves recognition the most for their outstanding work for the Age of Sigmar community in 2016?

• Vince Venturella - for Warhammer Weekly, consistent quality video content on YouTube.
    • Tony P - for ScrollBuilder.com, a free, incredibly useful and constantly-updated tool for writing AoS lists.
    • Tyler Mengel - for the fantastic Mengel Miniatures blog and the Endless Deserts Age of Sigmar Supplement.
    • Mo Ashraf - for Clash Comp, spearheading the community comp scene. Our primogenitor!
    • Alex Nygård - for the fan made End Times Battletome that allows players to relive those epic moments in the World That Was and the Age of Sigmar Reddit community.
    • Sean Houghton - for his HobbyHammer.com blog, narrative Battleplans, Rise of Empires global campaign and more.
    • Tyler Emerson - for the Age of Sigmar Directory, hosted at ScrubyandWells.com, a one-stop reference for AoS hobbyists.

This poll is closed to new votes

Introduction

Welcome to the inaugural Tales of Sigmar Age of Sigmar Community Award!

The AoS scene has gone from strength to strength in 2016 and the community is such a vital part of our hobby. I, and the rest of the @TalesOfSigmar Podcast team, have really enjoyed being a part of it over the past year and since the release of AoS so we wanted to go ahead with a little idea we had recently in an attempt to recognise all those fantastic people out there who do so much for the Age of Sigmar scene.

With this in mind, you all have the opportunity to vote for those from the list above who you feel have gone above and beyond that of the ordinary hobbyist and deserve some recognition. 

Voting

Voting will be done through this website on the poll above and will be open until noon on Sat 21 Jan. I will screenshot the results at this time as the final count. Votes submitted after that time will unfortunately be discounted.

Shortlist 

Following the recent thread we shortlisted a few of the nominations, as we wanted to keep it to only a few selections. There was an outstanding response on the thread, with over 30 nominations (check out the thread for all the names mentioned) from all over the world. Next year, we might do categories, but this year we wanted to keep it simple. There can be only one!

Here are the final nominees:

Vince Venturella - for Warhammer Weekly, consistent quality video content on YouTube.

Tony P - for ScrollBuilder.com, a free, incredibly useful and constantly-updated tool for writing AoS lists.

Tyler Mengel - for the fantastic Mengel Miniatures blog and the Endless Deserts Age of Sigmar Supplement.

Mo Ashraf - for Clash Comp, spearheading the community comp scene. Our primogenitor!

Alex Nygård - for the fan made End Times Battletome that allows players to relive those epic moments in the World That Was.

Sean Houghton - for his HobbyHammer.com blog, narrative Battleplans, Rise of Empires global campaign and more.

Tyler Emerson - for the Age of Sigmar Directory, hosted at ScrubyandWells.com, a one-stop reference for AoS hobbyists.

Honourable Mentions 

2016 has been a year of great change in our community, with plenty of people doing so much behind the scenes, or in the public eye. I wanted to take this moment to thank some of those fantastic people who aren’t in the running for the award, but who were nominated, because of their sterling work over the past year and since the release of AoS.

Ben Curry – For creating this very website, and in doing so, creating a central hub for the AoS community to share our hobby enthusiasm online. He also hosts the Bad Dice Podcast, created Scenery Dice and plenty more besides.

Dan Heelan, Wayne Kemp and Russ Veal – For creating the South Coast Grand Tournament comp, and running the UK’s largest AoS event last year. Here’s to an awesome SCGT17! Naturally their continued dedication to publishing their Heelanhammer and Facehammer podcasts respectively is recognised too.

The Podcast Eternals – All those that contributed to the first General’s Handbook in some way (Dan, Wayne, Russ, Ben), and for those who have been involved since. GW have opened their doors to community engagement recently and there are plenty of people out there who have assisted with making sure the game we play is in the best possible state. Any other podcasts out there too, regardless of engagement with GW, are recognised for their efforts in getting together, recording, editing and pushing out content for everyone to listen to!

Special Mention - Games Workshop Community and TV teams

It would be wrong to write a post about the Age of Sigmar community without mentioning the fantastic Community Team from Games Workshop. 2016 has seen an absolute paradigm shift in the way GW interacts with its customers and that has manifested itself in so many positive ways, from Facebook groups, dynamic FAQs and live-streaming of games. We all know that Rob and Eddie from Warhammer TV work very hard, coming into work out-of-hours to respond to rumours and leaks in a way we never could have imagined, as well as keeping us all entertained with their banter during streams, but there are members of the Community Team that work behind the scenes that should be mentioned here:

Roger, Dan and Laura from Warhammer TV

Eddie and Nick from GW’s Facebook Groups

Sarah and Maddie from Warhammer Community

And to all those that support the community engagement from GW, we thank you.

Summary

This is a great opportunity to recognise all the hard work from some key members of our community, please take part and vote! Any questions, just DM me. :)

I voted Vince Venturella because he is my hobby hub. I always look forward to "Hello everybody, if it's Wednesday, it's Warhammer" and I even go through his YT page looking for the videos he's liked or commented on to see what AoS channels I'm missing.

Vince is a gentleman and a true community champion in that he brings together everyone under one hobby-loving tent.

That said, if we're talking AoS specifically, Scrollbuilder guy has provided a vital service.

• Darth Alec pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you for everyone for voting and congratulations to @scrollbuilderdude for winning and to @Vincent Venturella for coming second!

Not only these two, but everyone in the short-list and all those who received mentions in the nominations thread deserve a round of applause for all they do. For some, the hobby is their local game store, their local meta, playing 1000pts Matched Play every Wednesday night. For others, the hobby is full of Narrative Gamers who travel the length and breadth of the country (and beyond!) to attend events, painting up magnificent armies on wonderful display board. There is a whole host of different ways to play the game and each is valid in its own way. The wider community has helped developed this sense of choice through the production of everything from Matched Play events and packs, all the way to Skirmish and Narrative rulesets and global campaigns.

I have been into AoS for just over a year now and I can safely say I have not been this excited about being a part of the Warhammer Community ever. Thank you to all those who have made it so awesome and keep doing what you're doing! Hopefully this little community champion award has highlighted some cool new stuff out there for those who might not have experienced it before. Perhaps you're a dyed-in-the-wool tournament goer, who now fancies trying out some of the End Times Battleplans within your gaming group? Or maybe you've been stuck with pen and paper for the past year and a bit and finding out about ScrollBuilder.com has transformed the way you write lists? Who knows. Whatever it is, hopefully bringing greater exposure to these Community Champions and, in a very small way, thanking them for what they do was what this was all about.

Happy Hobbying!

Dan & the Tales of Sigmar Podcast team

Congratulations to @scrollbuilderdude! Well deserved. I know of no one that doesn't use scrollbuilder.com. the fact it is constantly updated and also keeps going one step further in terms of what you can do it, shows he does it solely for the community and no one else. 

I will add once again to everyone, there is a little donate button down the bottom of the page, click it and donate what you can. It will mean Tony can continue to update the site as new battle tomes come out, or as GHB2 approaches, update the points too.

Well done to everyone else on the shortlist too, everyone is more than deserving to be there and keep pumping out the content for me to soak up! 

Wow, thank you everyone! I'm very honored to be on this list of fantastic people. Warscroll Builder has been a really fun side project and I'm glad so many people have found the site useful. I hope to keep it updated and running for as long as I can and look forward to adding more functionality in the future.

Also, a big thank you to everyone involved in making the AoS community so great.  It truly is an awesome time to be a warhammer/Age of Sigmar player!

• Ben unpinned this topic

Archived