Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

3 hours ago, Killax said:

Cant see the pictures Bowlzee posted but think the list looks mad fun. Running without 80 points feels odd though, a Khorgorath could have been easily added or the Fleshhounds could have been upgraded to Wrathmongers. In any case we all have to work with what we have and I think that the list in itself is cool enough!

For Gore Pilgrims in particular though I would certainly suggest tesing the Blood Warrior Death Star. 30 of those with all the buffs and beefs is certainly to control any point at the table and if that's the key battle your likely winning the game right on the spot then and there. 

Otherwise keep up the cool list brewing! Cheers,

Can you see the pictures now? 30 Blood Warriors is a huge sink in points for little output I feel. Can be easily shot off with Mortal wounds. If I was to do large block it would be of Chaos Warriors. I think they have bigger survivability.

50 minutes ago, Killax said:

Ah cool, no need to do that though in my opinion, Skarr is a nice little Fanatic which is the best distraction Hero we have in my book. Swarms beware and all that. 

Still wouldnt resummon him though, the more pieces the better.

The re-summon enable me to get in opponents back  field and challenge his objective causing him to reroute his Kairos to try and deal with him. Good use of 80 points imo.

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I'm currently toying with adding in a unit of Ungor raiders with bows to my Bloodbound.  Unit of 40 for 360 points, 4+/4+ with re-roll to hits of 1 & 2 whilst there are 30 in the unit.  They can make a bonus move after deployment and have a theoretical threat of 24".  Sounds pretty reasonable, though they'll likely fold as soon as anybody focus fires on them (which would buy a reprieve for the other units).  Thoughts?

They would be a useful source of pew pew, shame they cannot take a mark!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice army! I can see the pictures now. In regards to the Bloodwarrior bomb, with the Slaughterpriest buffs I dont think it's  a pointsink at all. Ranged mortal wounds have decreased and the only reason where you really start to notice that they are harmful is actually with more expensive Battalions as they functionally soak up points that could have been another unit altogether.

I think that Skarr in itself is certainly a good use for 80 points. I am totally not sold on saving 160 points for him to return him however, prime reason being point above and Blood Tithe point. Losing models like that, if they are cheap enough, actually isn't an issue the moment you use Blood Tithe rewards at the right moments. In the past Ive experimented with 120 point Valkia with this, cannot say I ever felt bad about it, can say that I feel Skarr is even better made for it as he needs to be taken out by an opponent. 
Returning Skarr for an objective is nice however the moment your holding on 160 points you could have had a Daemon Prince instead. The prime reason I stress this is because while placing back a model is nice in essence it still thakes up 160 points and he isn't that good.

Cheers,

I'm looking to expand my khorne collection into bloodbound too but I want to work a plan out before I go spending.

Any thoughts on something like this?

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (120)
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
- General
- Trait: Disciple of Khorne  
Skullgrinder (80)
- Artefact: Mark of the Destroyer  
Skullgrinder (80)
- Artefact: Gorecleaver  
Bloodstoker (80)

Battleline
30 x Blood Warriors (520)
- Goreaxes
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
30 x Bloodletters (270)

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)

Battalions
Bloodforged (140)

Total: 1990/2000

16 hours ago, Bowlzee said:

Ran the following list last night against a Changehost with Karios. It was the new Border War , Battle for the Pass (I think).

I lost the game, but it was extremely close through out, and some key things happened.

1. I didn't lose a double turn. I think I would have really struggled vs it.
  2. I forgot about Blood Tithe, until the 3rd round. I could have used it to unbind the spell that killed my BloodSecrator.
  3. I failed long charges that could have seen my Fleshhounds swamp his objective  

Overall a great game. I'm going to sum up a few moments/units.

First up 10 Chaos Warriors tanked an  entire Magic phase... Everything was thrown at them.

1.jpg.af8c7e50657e13fec196309017659b6a.jpg

Will definitely keep these guys in for all the mortalwounds flying around.

Blood Warriors, were a bit of a fail. Gorefists don't help when mortal wounds are flying everywhere. Dual Axes is definitely the way forward. I think they are most useful wen backed up by Wrathmongers and the Banner to increase the number of attacks

Reavers in 40. Look awesome on the battlefield, with the Banner and Warshrine they stick around pretty well.

Daemon Prince, was a monster in combat. If it wasn't for some great saves by the LoC (3 5+ saves vs D3+1 damage attacks) he would have easily chomped through it. Mark of Slayer is great! Worked well with the Fleshhounds that I ran in support with him.

Fleshhounds were ok. They are quick, and give threat but bit of a wet squib in attacks, especially as they are usually out of Banner range. Mark of Slayer helped though.

Skarr was brilliant. I just leroyed him up the battlefield. He took some shooting, but made it into combat where he killed quite the few Pinks and Brimstones before finally dying....  I then resurrected  behind his lines, and charged his objective. Wiping the Brims that were holding it. Sadly there were 2 characters nearby (on terrain that I couldn't reach)  preventing me from taking it. But in other scenarios/different armies he could be super useful.

Loved Gore Pilgrims. Being able to reroll those prayers on the Priests was great, and the 30" range on the Banner is a fantastic. I will definitely keep this for the time being.

Changes:

Skarr is great vs horde, but it's still only -1 rend and 1 damage. I'm not sure if I would be better suited to taking a Skullcannon. Yes It's still not great, but I had nothing to threaten the Guant Summmoner on Balewind. The Priests were shot/magiced  before getting close enough for their prayers.

I could drop the Fleshounds and not resurrect Skarr and take a Skullcannon. 

Thoughts?

Here are some pictures from the game, it looked amazing on the battlefield...

2.jpg.98ffba2c8e7d7c0d98583db39f924442.jpg

3.jpg.19a26649ec41de4011fa2b5362d24912.jpg

4.jpg.e4b43bd5410e26e99bd92c6fd9184f70.jpg

5.jpg.0fb49d5c14b02a880d226320d0dd98a9.jpg

6.jpg.d6f1fafb241675f793cb5091b8b63cb7.jpg

7.jpg.08561556f96a42358cac4f7ad43e0756.jpg

I See those Kromlech wings! I love that mat... I need to buy that.

Hey Guys,

I'm new getting into AOS after a hiatus from miniatures gaming. I was thinking of building a Blades of Khorne army and this is my current take on a list to build towards. Any comments would really be appreciated either as a reply or a PM.

Allegiance: Khorne
Leaders
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Units
30 x Bloodletters (270)
- Gore Drenched Icon
30 x Bloodletters (270)
- Gore Drenched Icon
10 x Bloodletters (110)
- Gore Drenched Icon
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
-Goreaxes
40 x Bloodreavers (240)
-Reaver Blades
Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (180)
Total: 2000/2000 Points
Leaders: 6/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4  

Hi all,

1500 point tournament coming up, thinking about running the following.  What kind of problems am I likely to run into?

Allegiance: Blades of Khorne

Bloodmarked Warband – 100 / 100

L1:  Lord of Khorne on Juggernaught = 140  / 240

-          Gorecleaver

-          General

L2:  Bloodsecrator = 120 / 360

L3:  Slaughterpriest = 100 / 460

BL1: 5 Blood Warriors, Icon = 100 / 560

BL2: 20 Bloodreavers, horn and banner = 140 / 700

BL3:  10 Khorne Chaos Warriors w. HW and RS= 180 / 880

O1:  5 Khorne Chaos Knights, Banner, Glaives, Horn = 160 / 1040

O2: 5 Khorne Chaos Knights, Banner, Glaives, Horn = 160 / 1200

O2:  3 Skullcrushers, banner, horn = 140 / 1340

L4: Demon Prince (Axe, Mark of Slayer) = 160 / 1500

List has good mobility, decent durability, lots of stacking buffs, access to rend -2, and should be able to generate BT points well.  Likely take the +1 to hit on the Slaughterpriest.

Thoughts?

FMB

4 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Hi all,

1500 point tournament coming up, thinking about running the following.  What kind of problems am I likely to run into?

Allegiance: Blades of Khorne

Bloodmarked Warband – 100 / 100

L1:  Lord of Khorne on Juggernaught = 140  / 240

-          Gorecleaver

-          General

L2:  Bloodsecrator = 120 / 360

L3:  Slaughterpriest = 100 / 460

BL1: 5 Blood Warriors, Icon = 100 / 560

BL2: 20 Bloodreavers, horn and banner = 140 / 700

BL3:  10 Khorne Chaos Warriors w. HW and RS= 180 / 880

O1:  5 Khorne Chaos Knights, Banner, Glaives, Horn = 160 / 1040

O2: 5 Khorne Chaos Knights, Banner, Glaives, Horn = 160 / 1200

O2:  3 Skullcrushers, banner, horn = 140 / 1340

L4: Demon Prince (Axe, Mark of Slayer) = 160 / 1500

List has good mobility, decent durability, lots of stacking buffs, access to rend -2, and should be able to generate BT points well.  Likely take the +1 to hit on the Slaughterpriest.

Thoughts?

FMB

Should probably use some more and more "killy" heroes in the Bloodmarked Warband! Also, if you want units to max synergy w Slaughterpriest you might want to make them a bit larger! I.e 5 Chaos warriors is a wasted buff! 

4 hours ago, misthv said:

Should probably use some more and more "killy" heroes in the Bloodmarked Warband! Also, if you want units to max synergy w Slaughterpriest you might want to make them a bit larger! I.e 5 Chaos warriors is a wasted buff! 

I take your point on killy heroes, but not sure what to pull to make room.  At this point level, I'm limited to 4 heroes, and the ones I have all play a role.  Juggerlord is a reliable killing machine, Bloodsecrator is pretty much auto-include, Slaughterpriest is my go-to utility, and the DP is a huge problem solver and force multiplier.  I also take your point on the buffing 5 guys, but on the other hand, +1 to hit to 5 buffed chaos knights on the charge is pretty solid.  It's not hard to get 15 attacks, hitting on 3s, re-rolling 1s, wounding on 2s, re-rolling 1s, with -1 rend and 2 Damage.  

So, yeah,  I get what you're saying, but what to pull / drop to make room?

FMB

4 hours ago, Centuryslayer said:

I'm a bit lost on how to expand my Blades of Khorne and need some input.

Are bigger units of blood warriors viable? Or are several smaller units good? I usually  run 10 and they do ok unless they get focused fired at range.

And units of Korgoraths? I'm thinking 3 in a unit maybe? 

Bigger units of Blood Warriors are absolutely viable, 30 sounds like a lot but it thakes no more space as 30 Bloodletters and packs an certain harder punch. What you do want with big units of Blood Warriors is Slaughterpriest buffs however. Some smaller units arn't only good but very much required to still have some saying in grabbing objectives.
The 'Deathstars' are the main tank of the army but they can't be everywhere at once. 
Personally I think Khorgorath's are cool but unless your willing to buff them aswell I would actually run them all seperate, for Blood Tithe point and Objective reasons.

9 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Hi all,

Thoughts?

FMB

I like where the list is going :) What I am missing here is at least one unit of Wrathmongers. One of the issues you could run into is a Monster protected by masses. With Wrathmongers you can at least have an ace up your sleeve the moment you clear a path to it. 

It's funny to see how Wrathmongers somehow still didn't get talked much about. The way I see this edition growing I think they have become at least as essential to our army as Skullreapers once where. One reason is because big Generals now are really good because all of them have some drastic Warlord Traits with radius and the other is that the more blobs are taken the more freedom these Generals have on the field where they want to go (if they can fly), which in turn make them very lethal to hunt down support, characters and grab objectives while mass units grind into each other.

A-i7_Mkdg_Gn_Y.jpg

Cheers,

38 minutes ago, Killax said:

I like where the list is going :) What I am missing here is at least one unit of Wrathmongers. One of the issues you could run into is a Monster protected by masses. With Wrathmongers you can at least have an ace up your sleeve the moment you clear a path to it. 

I too am missing Wrathmongers - don't actually have any ;(  Do have Skullreapers, though.   Lord and DP can both do the job on a monster - not sure about the bubble wrap.  Historically, I've used the SP to make the target run out from behind their screen.  Did that to a War Mammoth once.  Pretty fun times ensued.

FMB

i think it would be better to have 2x5 chaos warrior and 10 bloodwarriors, if possible. Bloodwarriors are MUCH better in 10 than 5, while chaos warrior don't gain anything in being in unit of 10 vs 5 (no gain of special weapon or ability). And they will be better in the role of roadblock.

Remember the "blood rage" work only one time (ANY hero, so even if 5 hero kill something, you gain only +1 attack for everyone) so don't be too greedy with your others heroes than the juggerlord

8 hours ago, Arkiham said:

I feel it's time we have a little chat about skullcannons.

With their reduced cost and increasing unit sizes I don't feel they're as bad as before 

And they arn't! I think that between using Slaughterpriests with Gore Pilgrims or just using a Skull Cannon both approaches can work really well. The fun thing about the Skull Cannon Battalion is even that it just went up 50 points where most of the field would be 100 additional points. D6 Mortal wounds at the end of the day is good but still remains dicey for something in our arsenal and for that cost.
In many cases, which is why I will continue to mention the Wrathmongers the next couple of weeks ;) the alternate options offer more of us as a forward army.

The beauty however of 1 to 2 Skull Cannons remains that it's also a very solid Objective sitter so thake one to two if this is what you want. However as seen aswell the popularity of Gore Pilgrims will likely continue and other forces such as Murderhost are better in rewarding more bodies so usually more bodies are taken. 

Wrathmongers to me however remain almost an essential thake. For support and control.
The rise of Monster Generals is an extremely logical concequence of GH2017 due the multitude now having great Warlord Traits that massively buff their army within an area in an incerdible way (Flesh Eaters, Ironjawz, Fyreslayers, Slaves to Darkness, us...). So having even a single Wrathmonger arrive there can make or break the battle.

I too will be running a WoK BT general very soon and what does it fear? A Wrathmonger forcing it to hit itself. 

8 hours ago, Darksteve said:

Do you think the goreglaive is worth losing both the independent unit and the mortal wounds?

As above you can run 5 in another unit with a Goreglaive (the Glaive goes per 10 not per 10 per unit). In addition I will indeed also say it is worth it. 

Bloodletters are massively good in blocks of 30, less and they are more expensive as they used to (110) and really their output massively suffers. I think that 30 Bloodletters are one of the best backbone units for our army, if not the best, but the key number there remains 30. The moment you do not run 30 Bloodletters units like 5 Fleshhounds, 5 Blood Warriors, 20 Bloodreavers or even 20 Marauders become much better choices. 

I personally view the game very much as what the last WFB was, where the role of a unit is to either be a 'Deathstar' or 'Objective keeper/grabber'. 10 Bloodletters don't do either well compaired to Fleshhounds (grabbers), Bloodwarriors (easy to hide away 5 models) or Bloodreavers and Marauders (keepers).

Cheers,

25 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

I think the intention is 1 glaive per unit of 10. Otherwise it'll be the only unit afaik doing it per 10 models not even nessessaily in same unit 

A couple of months ago (also in this thread) a tournament player has had it work in his favour. As the scroll still says one in every 10 Blood Warrior models and not 1 per 10 Blood Warrior unit. So regardless of intention, that still is exactly what it says. 

1 hour ago, Killax said:

Wrathmongers ...

Gah, I can't get over the fact that 1) they're quite easily outmanouvered, 2) shot off (5+ save), 3) hard to position correctly to not massively buff enemy. I now play mostly vs. SC and Fyreslayers, and SC seems to just pick them off with Judicators, and Fyreslayers doesn't really have anything to hit themselves with... 

1 hour ago, Killax said:

A couple of months ago (also in this thread) a tournament player has had it work in his favour. As the scroll still says one in every 10 Blood Warrior models and not 1 per 10 Blood Warrior unit. So regardless of intention, that still is exactly what it says. 

I'm aware it says "per model" without its "in the unit" suffix. BUT, I think its quite reasonable to don't take the RAW, but rather RAI in this case? The context is quite clearly referring to equipment of models in the unit. I mean... this would allow us, and even more so other factions' battleline (e.g. liberators), to create super-units (by buffing), e.g. with 3 Goreglaives, or 5 Grandhammers. Its not utterly OP/broken, but still...!

16 minutes ago, misthv said:

2) shot off (5+ save)

Which is the reason I don't deem Bloodforged THAT competitive.

I like the effects of the battalion but investing into two units that might be "dead" in certain match-ups is questionable at best. (I like a single unit in most of my mortal khorne lists though)

3 hours ago, misthv said:

Gah, I can't get over the fact that 1) they're quite easily outmanouvered, 2) shot off (5+ save), 3) hard to position correctly to not massively buff enemy. I now play mostly vs. SC and Fyreslayers, and SC seems to just pick them off with Judicators, and Fyreslayers doesn't really have anything to hit themselves with... 

Odd. I havn't found them to ever be easy to shot off, by large because I present more dangerous models (Bloodletters and/or Bloodsecrators and/or Bloodthirsters) and positionning them correctly is actually extremely easy the moment you run 30 man squads.
As before they are there to react the opponent, they are not the frontrunners. If SC now focusses on them, all fine, this means your deathstars arrive, versus Fyreslayers in particular I do expect to see a rise in Runeblokes on Magmadroth. All I can say is that they are the type of unit you will have to learn to play. When used correctly however you use your opponents strongest weapon against them.

3 hours ago, misthv said:

I'm aware it says "per model" without its "in the unit" suffix. BUT, I think its quite reasonable to don't take the RAW, but rather RAI in this case? The context is quite clearly referring to equipment of models in the unit. I mean... this would allow us, and even more so other factions' battleline (e.g. liberators), to create super-units (by buffing), e.g. with 3 Goreglaives, or 5 Grandhammers. Its not utterly OP/broken, but still...!

As before Ive seen multiple TO's and tournaments allowing it, largely because there is no RAI to reconsider the RAW as it's as clear as ice that it doesn't refer to itself as a weapon that only shows up in 10 man units. Likewise RAI could be that the Champion doesn't carry the Goreglaive while it's accepted now that they can have it.
AoS still very much runs on the "it works exactly as stated unless stated otherwise" which is why now the Bloodsecrator (per latest FAQ) cannot stack anymore, however in the year(s) before it most certainly did. 

Archived