Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

It's likely that they will cap our summon targets, similar to Sylvaneth.

Meaning, no Archaon, no Skarbrand, fixed unit sizes... and so on.

Besides that, there might be "tiers" like Nurgle. Ergo, we could either counter a spell or summon maybe 10 Bloodletters for 2 points. For 8 we will still get a big unit of Bloodletters or a generic Bloodthirster.

The first change has to happen either way, the second one would make the system more flexible.

Considering BoK as a whole, I doubt it'll rise in strength with the new edition as well.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m hoping that the summoning mechanic for Khorne is somewhat reworked.

The requirement to entirely wipe units to gain blood tithe points (and the heavy push for massive units) appears to be a current challenge issue for Khorne armies.

For example, Seraphon ‘celestial summoning points’ are worth ~10 points per point. (Based on the cost of 6 summoning points for a unit that costs 60.)

Maggotkin Corruption points range in value from ~4.7 to 12.14 points per corruption point in regards to summoning.

I’d paint many skulls and use many pots of “Blood for the Blood God” (but only in a completely thematic manner and not over the top with splatters everywhere) for some more thematic summoning, like what is in the novels. :)

3 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

I’m hoping that the summoning mechanic for Khorne is somewhat reworked.

The requirement to entirely wipe units to gain blood tithe points (and the heavy push for massive units) appears to be a current challenge issue for Khorne armies.

For example, Seraphon ‘celestial summoning points’ are worth ~10 points per point. (Based on the cost of 6 summoning points for a unit that costs 60.)

Maggotkin Corruption points range in value from ~4.7 to 12.14 points per corruption point in regards to summoning.

I’d paint many skulls and use many pots of “Blood for the Blood God” (but only in a completely thematic manner and not over the top with splatters everywhere) for some more thematic summoning, like what is in the novels. :)

I think we will have something similar to seraphon, probably keep the killing a unit mechanic but may also add the ability of the bloodsecrator to add D3 per turn and possibly something else additional -kill an enemy hero and gain +1?

The main change I see happening is the ability to spend without losing the other gained tithe points, making it a more flexible rule and opening up a bit more strategy for the army.

1 hour ago, MOMUS said:

I think we will have something similar to seraphon, probably keep the killing a unit mechanic but may also add the ability of the bloodsecrator to add D3 per turn and possibly something else additional -kill an enemy hero and gain +1?

The main change I see happening is the ability to spend without losing the other gained tithe points, making it a more flexible rule and opening up a bit more strategy for the army.

If we get some additional CP gain, I really hope it is not exclusively tied to killing heroes and monsters.
GW really loves that one...

4 hours ago, Xasz said:

If we get some additional CP gain, I really hope it is not exclusively tied to killing heroes and monsters.

*groan*

I know right?  I get the thematic side of it, but it's... frustratingly restrictive.

I hope GW also implements some sort of mechanic for people that have no units to summon. It is enough of a problem to not have spells or have access to all the realm stuff. I really hope the army doesn't change in to 2000pts, and we forgot to tell you to buy 800pts of demons too.

38 minutes ago, Karol said:

I hope GW also implements some sort of mechanic for people that have no units to summon. It is enough of a problem to not have spells or have access to all the realm stuff. I really hope the army doesn't change in to 2000pts, and we forgot to tell you to buy 800pts of demons too.

From a thematic perspective summoning in Daemons is entirely in lore. And large units of Bloodletters are a good source of mortal wounds.

Being able to bring in Fleshhounds and Bloodletters along with Bloodcrushers or even Bloodthirsters is an interesting tactical change.

It would be interesting to “call up reinforcements” to bring more Blood Reavers  or Blood Warriors into the fray. So one isn't just working with Daemons.

But, a mechanism that allowed reinforcement or summoning of Battleline class units via some form of “Call to Battle” would be interesting.

IMO the whole summoning thing is a stupid idea, all it does it forces people to buy extra models. And what is worse with the khorn starter set removed, there is no way to get the units needed to build an army. I was mind blown when my store manager told me how much a boxs of non starter set blood warriors costs.

Right now to play I have to buy 30 bloodletters, 2 different bloodthirsters, a blood secrators, 3 slaughter priests and 18 skullcrushers, that is without summoning, and it costs more then I can gather in 4-5 years. With summoning this becomes 6+years of saving up. Till then AoS may no longer exist, have 2 extra edition and 6 general handbooks which may nerf all the stuff to the ground. And what is worse my parents used up all my hobby money buying shadespire <_<, so no new models for me for the next 4-6months.

C'mon dude AoS is expensive we all accept that, stop moaning about your parents buying you free stuff.

11 hours ago, Xasz said:

Although it makes competitive games difficult I get why they like it.

I'm wondering whether the blood sacrifice prayer might become default to allow quicker build up of blood tithe, this could be instead of blood bind or perhaps like the seraphon it would be cast automatically if you opt out of casting a regular prayer.

8 hours ago, MOMUS said:

C'mon dude AoS is expensive we all accept that, stop moaning about your parents buying you free stuff.

It is not free if it cuts in to my hobby money. This means when others get stuff updated for new edition and get more models, I get nothing. what is worse the stuff I already have gets worse, nerfed or stops working or assumes I have free 2000zl laying around, with the possibility of evertyhing geting nerfed again in a few months. I could have got a bikes for the same money and could use it all summer&spring the next4-5 years.

And yes I do accept that the models cost a lot, but I don't understand why GW has to make the edition at all. It looks like a ploy to make people buy caster models, stuff to summon etc Which they will probablly nerf in 3 months, like they they do in w40k, as it seems to be the stuff they do constantly from what people playing their gates tell me.

1 hour ago, Karol said:

[...]I don't understand why GW has to make the edition at all. It looks like a ploy to make people buy caster models, stuff to summon etc Which they will probablly nerf in 3 months, like they they do in w40 [...]

The changes were “needed” in part because without a complete shakeup and tearing down of previous rules and Edition we can’t, as an example from building a house, create something that is fresh with more interior space and awesome visuals without tearing down some interior walls ... but the core foundation and exterior may be okay.

Theres an advantage to this for you. Work on painting your army. Pick up the core rules when they get released and play with the new points and rules.

Dont grab new models, wait 3 months till the FAQs come out and shake it all out and address the issues they’ve found and by that time you will have had an opportunity to see how stuff is going. By that time you will have determined what you think and if you feel you need to change your army in any major fashion.

You don’t need to get stuff (right now). For a mortal/Bloodbound BoK Army having a huge unit of 30 Bloodletters is an awesome hammer unit for a block of Bloodreavers (or something else) to use against as an anvil. Or as the sharp poky bit of a pincer even ... but you don’t need it.

Take a slow grow process for the new edition and you’ll ride it out and hopefully enjoy stuff better.

If you want to jump into some kind of magic type things you could get an unaligned Chaos Sorcerer Lord (with a large chain collar and dangling chains) who is a subservient and brow-beaten seer... as an allied unit (a necromancers model would be an interesting choice with some khornate iconography perhaps?) Play with that as an addition and figure out if that even works for you.

On 6/1/2018 at 12:40 AM, Karol said:

It is not free if it cuts in to my hobby money. This means when others get stuff updated for new edition and get more models, I get nothing. what is worse the stuff I already have gets worse, nerfed or stops working or assumes I have free 2000zl laying around, with the possibility of evertyhing geting nerfed again in a few months. I could have got a bikes for the same money and could use it all summer&spring the next4-5 years.

Um, dude, how your mum buys your GW ****** is no interest to us or GW for that matter.  Please don't mention it again.

I'm afraid you are not the target market  for AoS, however you are for Shadespire.

I'm sorely tempted by the chaos Lord on manticore, command ability only affects warriors of chaos units which is a bit of a shame but it's a lovely model. Hoping it gets a slight point drop in next GHB.

Speaking of point drops I think BoK could use a few such as bloodwarriors, most of the Heros (daemon+mortal), warshrine, reapers (10/20pts) and from a personal perspective I'd like knights and marauder horsemen to drop. Love those models.

As a quick heads-up Warscroll Battalion validation has been added to the Battlescribe Khorne roster creator file.

In working through the list builder tool I did notice that neither of the Khorne Daemon “mega battalions” are even remotely usable at the 2000 points ... and can’t fit under 2500 points either .... (and that’s with a Murderhost with MSU Flesh Hound Units).

From a wording perspective , the primary difference between the Bloodbound and Daemon mega battalions is the 3 minimum  required Warscroll battalions, whereas the wording for Bloodbound places those under the “optional” category. (Almost makes me want to write them a letter ...)

It does explain why I’ve never seen any of the larger Khorne Daemon Forces on the table, or in any battlereps. :/ 

6 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

As a quick heads-up Warscroll Battalion validation has been added to the Battlescribe Khorne roster creator file.

Cool though yeah, so far all of the larger Battalions that require other Battalions have stopped functioning for Khorne matched play pretty much since GH2017. All in all the faction is still playable but as before I feel GW's focus isn't on Khorne anymore and it shows.

While it sounds negative or maby even harsh I don't expect all that much positive or tested change for Khorne to occur in this new edition. Reason being that the faction focus didn't mention any change and while the Podcast did, 2 BT for 5 Bloodletters seems odd, especially considering how quick they die and 18 CP for a Bloodthirster is just virtually impossible. 

There might be ways to gain more Blood Tithe, perhaps the Slaughterpriest prayer is a way to do that but self harm is still self harm. Knowing now who works on e.g. Free Guild and in general Order I don't expect too much. Maby we will be able to Fight twice with 3 CP. They gave that in 40K. 

Ideally we are able to 'teleport' Bloodletters for 1 CP like is the case in 40K. But I doubt we'll get that much love. 

4 hours ago, Killax said:

Reason being that the faction focus didn't mention any change and while the Podcast did, 2 BT for 5 Bloodletters seems odd, especially considering how quick they die and 18 CP for a Bloodthirster is just virtually impossible. 

Which podcast?

6 hours ago, Killax said:

While it sounds negative or maby even harsh I don't expect all that much positive or tested change for Khorne to occur in this new edition. Reason being that the faction focus didn't mention any change and while the Podcast did, 2 BT for 5 Bloodletters seems odd, especially considering how quick they die and 18 CP for a Bloodthirster is just virtually impossible. 

What episode of the podcast did we get Khorne information in?

6 hours ago, JetBlackSVW said:

When was the last time GW released new models for Khorne (apart from Forgeworld and Shadespire stuff)?

I’m expecting/hoping for a Re-box for the Khorgorath and Bloodstoker.

Though I’m not expecting “new”

The Shadespire has been modifications of existing units. (Same belly maw unit leader for Blood Warriors, as an example.) The plastic Flesh Hound is a modification of the MLoK Flesh Hound (digitally posed different, but basically identical.)

Minor pose changes for the Bloodreaver Faction. And the core starter set models were apparently modified to some form of “easy fit”.

But there have been no new units released.

There are several models that are “older” that haven’t aged well. (I’m looking at you finecast Flesh Hounds and Karanak!) And hopefully we will see replacements. 

But there haven’t been any credible rumors that I’ve seen/heard on updates, and we will likely not see anything seriously new until a 40K World Eaters release. Which I don’t expect to see until after a Slaanesh release.

Archived