2k Stormcast list help

Mount Franklin

Hey guys, I'm back for more help. This time I'm attending a 2k tournament in January.

I was gifted a stardrake for Christmas and would love for it to be included in my list.

Here is what I was thinking:

Lord Celestant (100)

Drakesworn Templar (500)

Lord Castellant + gryphound (140)

Loremaster (100)

Knight Venator (120)

Liberator x10 (200)

Liberator x5 (100)

Liberator x5 (100)

Prosecutors with Javelins x5 (80)

Prosecutors with Javelins x5 (80)

Fulminators x4 (480)

What do you guys think? I fell like it doesn't really have enough umph, perhaps I need to swap in some retributors. Oh, and for those wondering why I've taken the prosecutors, I'm not a fan of the judicator bow models and I feel like I get more bang for my buck with two units of prosecutors for the same price as one unit of liberators :) 

4 hours ago, Chickenbits said:

Doesn't the Stormcast have a bunch of really powerful formations that allow you to "deep strike"? 

I think people do really well with those in tournaments : ) it would probably give you a lot of tactical flexabillity.

Not everyone wants to play an army that consists of the same dude with slightly different weapons. I have tried Dracoth lists at 2000 and most did just fine.

@Mount Franklin The Stardrake is quite peculiar. Not as powerful as some of the other big hitters. His job is it to snipe heroes with his global lightning ability and to clear out hordes. Do not expect it to do well in a duel. That is what Fulmenators are for.

There are two ways to build around a Stardrake. One is to take the Skyborne Slayers, which allow a Lord Celestand on Stardrake as the Hero choice since the most recent FAQ. Is it a good idea? No clue, but T1 Stardrake in melee got to account for some pain at least :D

Second option is to use a Drakesworn Templar to support a unit of Dracoths, which is what you did. That list would probably be fairly defensive due to decent ranged abilities. Have a look at Judicators with Bows as your Battleline. Even if it is just 2 units. They put out a good amount of pain at range. The regular Lord Celestant is fine, because he has his solid +1 hit buff and a ranged ability as well. However, his +1 hit and the +1 hit from the Templar (the bow) are useless when stacked on the Dracoths. If you switch to Judicators, you might as well drop him and either look at a LC on Stardrake or just drop him in favour of another hero. I also found that including a Knight Vexillor to transport Dracoths at any point in the game is pretty good, but another 200pts on top of the 500pts model you have there might be too much. As such, I really think you want to play defensively with ranged units and ability and counter-assault options (with the Dracoths). Keep the Gryph Hound though. Good against Lightning Strikes if you have plenty of ranged units.

Having said all that, your list is fine, albeit very slow. You might do well against other melee armies, but you will be thrashed by Clan Skryre and other ranged armies.

10 minutes ago, Immersturm said:

There are two ways to build around a Stardrake. One is to take the Skyborne Slayers, which allow a Lord Celestand on Stardrake as the Hero choice since the most recent FAQ. Is it a good idea? No clue, but T1 Stardrake in melee got to account for some pain at least :D

That's not true. The recent FAQ (updated 12/22/16) says the following about characters in Battalions:

Q: How do you determine what models and units make up a warscroll battalion? When is it based on a keyword and when is it a unit name?

A: When a warscroll battalion is referring to a keyword, it appears in Keyword Bold. Otherwise, it is referring to the name of a unit.

The Skyborne Slayers Warscroll Battalion says Lord-Celestant, not in Keyword Bold, so it's referring to the unit. 

Good points otherwise, though.

2 hours ago, StealthKnightSteg said:

Prosecutors are x3 not x5 for 80

My bad :D Even at 80 points for three, I still think two units is better than a unit of judicators. Not only can they do the same thing as judicators, which is to hold the objective and provide supporting fire, they also do twice as much damage!

On 28 December 2016 at 3:49 AM, Immersturm said:

Have a look at Judicators with Bows as your Battleline. Even if it is just 2 units. They put out a good amount of pain at range.

I would... but I really dislike the models. I guess I'm not a fan of a fully armoured guy using a bow. That's why I bought the Prosecutors. I like the models, and for 160 points, I actually get an extra model that's capable of doing twice as much damage as a judicator. They can also zoom around the battlefield, which is why I've split them into two units, although one might be better... :D My big worry about the Vexillor is that he's quite expensive for a single teleport that is most likely suicide for my best unit (I will try i out though :P ). With this list I was going with the idea of a hammer and anvil. The Liberators seize the objectives, the prosecutors provide support and protect objectives already under my control. The Fulminators charge and destroy anything too big for the liberators, and the heroes provide general buffs where needed. I haven't tested any of this though... 

Archived