My Stormcast/Free peoples list!

SoulQuake

Hello!

Im soon going to play my first AoS game with my Stormcast/Free peoples army!

I will present my list, and would like some feedback. Will it be viable, strong, weak, cheesy, weaknesses, strenghts etc. 

What i've got painted:

1 Lord Celestant on Dracoth (General)

1 Lord Castellant with Gryph Hound

5 Liberators with hammers and shields, no grandhammer, prime.

5 Liberators with warblade and shield, 1 grandblade, prime.

5 Retributors, 1 Starsoul mace, prime.

1 Helblaster Volleygun with 3 crew.

1 Cannon with crew.

This adds up to 1080pts, what should i lose for a 1000pts matched play?

What i've got still to paint:

20 Freeguild handgunners, standard bearer, musician, marksman with lochland longrifle.

1 Mortar with 3 crew.

3-9 Prosecutors with hammers, prime. (Probably only gonna use 3, as they don't really fit the aestethics of my army.) 

1 Lord Relictor 

5 Judicators with bows, prime with special thunderbow.

5 Judicators with crossbows, prime with special mega-xbow. (Using 5 Liberators from starter with the bitz left over from the Judicators box.)

3 Retributors, prime.

This would add up to just above 2000pts. I have not considered synergies to much, just grabbed the models cheaply and started the army. 

Is this army gonna be viable at 1000/1500/2000pts, or will i get tabled? 

20161111_180633.jpg

Looks like a great start of a list. Great paint job!

Love that you are combining freeguild and stormcasts. I am doing the same although I have played little with a combined army. However, I have played a lot of games with pure stormcasts and pure freeguild armies.

As already pointed out the free people Mortar is massively overpriced. It is not worth the points, so unless it serves a fluff purpose then it is not worth bringing to a matched game.

Handgunners are awesome! Very significant damage output and decent survivability in cover. The ability to fire a full volley when charged is absolutly awesome. This might outright kill smaller units or heroes and will make your opponent think twice about charging them. Battleshock is absolutely a killer for this unit, so a general or war altar of sigmar or similar to help would be great.

Always max out on starsoul maces if you have th models for it. very reliable damage output and protects you from a totally failed charge from a damage output point of view.

Get a grand hammer for your hammer liberators. It really gives a significant increase in damage output.

Judicators with bows are awesome - especially considering they are battleline. Get them included soon.

Judicators with crossbows are really weak. Mainly due to their short range. In my opinion it is the weakest stormcast unit and I see no use for them in the army. Some people might think differently, but I would never include them in matched play.

Prosecutors are really weak in damage output. i normally use 3 or 2x3 in bigger games as a mobile unit. The unit(s) will either serve as a roadblock and slow the enemy down or grab a distant objective and try to hold out for grapping some points. mobility is the only thing this unit is really good at, but the unit still serves an important role in the army. in many missions these will be an important asset. just do not expect them to kill anything :)

Hope this is of some inspiration to you.

Thanks for the feedback guys! ☺

Are the mortar and volleygun really that bad? Reading the warscrolls it seems they could dish out some serious damage? My idea was, that the empire units would make up a "gunpowder section" of my army, so it's mostly a fluff thing. I actually have 2 more cannons unpainted, but it seems kinda cheesy to use more than one haha. The luminark would add some much needed magic, extra protection and the pretty frightening searing beam 6 wound laser thing. ☺ Hard model to come by though. 

Im contemplating converting a retributor hammer onto a liberator as a grandhammer. 

The starsoul maces, or rather the mechanics of them seem kinda boring, lazily designed and abit beardy, auto 2xd3 mortal wounds (if you have 2) just by being within 3" of them. I might add another later if i get my ass kicked to hard.

The x-bow judicators are only in the list as i have 5 more liberators from starterset unpainted so i planned to use the leftover bits to convert them, or should i maybe do another lib-unit with hammer/shield?

Regular bow-judis seem amazing, and the 20 handgunners are going to be fun to field, less fun to paint!

Im abit torn regarding the prosecutors, they are the only fast mobility unit for SEs, and would be useful for objectives and flanking warmachines. I don't really like the models or the concept of throwing celestial hammers... And they dont really fit the general feel of my Stormcast/Freeguild/Bretonnia hybrid. But i have 9 of the buggers. I will hold of on painting them for awhile! 

Thanks for your input!

19 hours ago, SoulQuake said:

Thanks for the feedback guys! ☺

Are the mortar and volleygun really that bad? Reading the warscrolls it seems they could dish out some serious damage? My idea was, that the empire units would make up a "gunpowder section" of my army, so it's mostly a fluff thing. I actually have 2 more cannons unpainted, but it seems kinda cheesy to use more than one haha. The luminark would add some much needed magic, extra protection and the pretty frightening searing beam 6 wound laser thing. ☺ Hard model to come by though.

Yes, Yes they really are that bad. 

I would highly recommend taking your human artillery as Great Cannons, Steam Tank, or Rocket Launcher. The Mortar and Volley Gun just doesn't do enough damage for the points. 

I own 3 of each artillery models and I rarely take any these days.

If you run 2 cannons with a engineer near a Hurcanium they become fairly good with Hitting on 3's RR 1's Wounding on 2's Rend -2 and 4 shots d6 damage per shot Rerolling damage vs 10+models the real weak point too me is they can be crew sniped As in your 180 point investment has 3 wounds

with ****** all for a save and even if they just take 2 wounds boom the lose a shot and their efficiency is halved.

Spavioli, it is a nice set up, but a big points investment. Also some races have units that can effectively enter directly from any board edge or "deep strike" close to your units. 

Two canons with an engineer would be a juicy target and a lot of "soft" points to kill. 

One could of course counter that with screens of solid troops like either shield liberators or sword and shield empire troops. But then you are running up points costs again.

My point wasn't that they are good or competitive My point was if your going to run them go deep. most of teh fre guild is lack luster comparatively too the points efficiency of alot of armys If your going to invest 180 points you may as wellgo for the full hog and a gryphhound or two. also thanks for the heads up on the deep strike or "board edging" :D

Archived