Gutbusters (regular old ogres!)

Kuma

21 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

Are you talking about pure gutbusters or mixed with beastclaw raiders?

I can't tell if you are being ironic...

Gutbusters arr cool! Amazing battleline, and while a little expensive, Ironguts are NASTY. What do you usually run?

I've played them a handful times and this is how I could break it down for your:

1. get at least 12-18 regular bulls. They are a fantastic battle-line unit that hits hard, stand well against both fire and close combat attacks but can be fragile against rending units.

2. get a butcher or two. At least one butcher, preferably with culdron of blood is necessary IMO.

3. A lot of people talk about Ironguts as being nasty - paying 220pts for 3. My opinion is to rather look at ledbelchers. 12" range, D3 shots each (18" range with their 6" move), hits 2 attack in close combat, DAMAGE 2 and -1 REND! 160pts for 3. They are just fantastic if you can get a wall of ogres standing in their way. units of 6 can be bullied by your Tyrant to ignore battleshock for the rest of the game as long as he is alive.

4. Play your Tyrant smart. He is you commander with an incredable command ability. But he must remain alive. Don't throw in into the first unit watch him die. He needs to remain close to your Butcher with culdron to have the chance to heal and mystic shield. If you roll a 6 against a missile attack army, chose +1 armor save for his Big Name. +2 armor save with mystic shield will prevent him from dying rather well.

4. Make a list and play the same list over and over again.

My 1500 list for next weeks tournament is more for fun than hard hitting:

If I was going for hard hitting, I would have removed the gargant and added another unit of bulls and smacked them all together to 2 units of 6. 4 battle lines still (as ledbelchers are battleline in Gutbuster army allegiance).

Ogre Tyrant                160pts

Ogre Butcher                140pts

Ogre Bulls x3            120pts
    Bellower, Standard, Crusher
        - Iron Fists
        - Iron Fists
        - Iron Fists

Ledbelchers x6            320pts
    Bellower, Thunderfist

Bellower, Thunderfist

Aleguzzler Gargant            180pts

1480pts

I hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Lysandestolpe said:

I've played them a handful times and this is how I could break it down for your:

Ogre Tyrant                160pts

Ogre Butcher                140pts

- Iron Fists
        - Iron Fists
        - Iron Fists

Bellower, Thunderfist

Bellower, Thunderfist

Aleguzzler Gargant            180pts

1480pts

I hope this helps.

What would you run as a competitive 2k list? I would love leadbelchers to work, but they just seem so expensive with too short a range. If they had 24"  they would be great, but compared to judicators, kurnoth hunters or the new skyfire dudes they seem super weaks.

This was the list I had been looking at (very tempted to add an ironblaster for a little bit of ranged threat):

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Great Gutgouger
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
Tyrant (160)
- Great Gutgouger
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Butcher (140)

Units
Ogors x 3 (120)
- Battleline
Leadbelchers x 3 (160)
- Gutbusters Battleline
Leadbelchers x 3 (160)
- Gutbusters Battleline
Ironguts x 6 (440)
Ironguts x 6 (440)
Grots x 20 (100)
Grots x 20 (100)

Total: 1980/2000

Look, the lesbelchers main function is not to stand and shoot at the enemy. It's to shoot, the the charge on your term and both hammer in combat and shoot in the shooting phase. You don't need the range as you won't stand with them far away from the enemy. You make a ****** ton of attacks with them on short range on in combat they are really good. 

On 2k:

remove the grots and tyrant. Take another butcher and more bulls. Consider running only one unit of ironguts and get more bulls and or ledbelchers instead. If you like the ironguts, keep them. :)

16 hours ago, Donal said:

yes if you deploy correctly

I'm not saying you don't have a point - to get that out of the way. The 40 wounds they come with for 200pts is nice to throw at the enemy to go through. It would also allow for you to position yourself better, even against armies that don't drop from the sky.

However, if we talk competitive I would not take grots as a throwaway unit, I would take Bonesplittaz. 20 models - 40 wounds with much better output to do something if you are not up against a teleportation/drop armies. They have larger bases and may cover less area but not by too much. Arrow boys have the same save, better shooting, better melee, and if you make them 20 boyz they make an extra attack (3) with their bows.

If, however, you take savage orruks instead (same cost) they are actually battleline as well.

Although, I don't really play as much competitive as I do for for fun, so you probably know much better than I. :)

Don't forget that Gutbuster grots (gnoblars in olde speake) can be made immune to battleshock for the whole battle thanks to the tyrant command ability, their only downside is that for some ridiculous reason they are not battleline!?! a great screen and if your given first turn a solid objective holding block or meat screen 

2 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

However, if we talk competitive I would not take grots as a throwaway unit, I would take Bonesplittaz. 20 models - 40 wounds with much better output to do something if you are not up against a teleportation/drop armies. They have larger bases and may cover less area but not by too much. Arrow boys have the same save, better shooting, better melee, and if you make them 20 boyz they make an extra attack (3) with their bows.

I play for fun as well, just try and have a strong list and can scale it back as necessary for my opponent.

Was trying to keep it gustbuster focused rather than looking at other units.

19 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

Don't forget that Gutbuster grots (gnoblars in olde speake) can be made immune to battleshock for the whole battle thanks to the tyrant command ability, their only downside is that for some ridiculous reason they are not battleline!?! a great screen and if your given first turn a solid objective holding block or meat screen 

Really nice point, I'd forgotten about that ability. 

This thread has has made me want to paint up some Gutbusters. Thanks @Kuma!

1 hour ago, Sangfroid said:

yes!! what the hell happened there? I guess it may be to force the player to take regular bulls (or Ledbelchers) rather than pure Grots and Ironguts.

And yeah, I didn't even think of that either. That does change a lot to have a 40 man Grot unit immune to battleshock. Great point!

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- Massive Ogre Club
Tyrant (160)
- Massive Ogre Club
Butcher (140)

Units
Ogors x 12 (480)
- Battleline
Ogors x 6 (240)
- Battleline
Ogors x 3 (120)
- Battleline
Ironblaster x 2 (320)

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)

This is the list I am toying with, however I am also flirting with the idea of running either a troll hag or two dread maws instead of being pure Gutbusters.

5 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- Massive Ogre Club
Tyrant (160)
- Massive Ogre Club
Butcher (140)

Units
Ogors x 12 (480)
- Battleline
Ogors x 6 (240)
- Battleline
Ogors x 3 (120)
- Battleline
Ironblaster x 2 (320)

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)

This is the list I am toying with, however I am also flirting with the idea of running either a troll hag or two dread maws instead of being pure Gutbusters.

I really like this list! However, do you like the Ironblasters? I don't care to much for either rules (DMG output) or model.

22 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

I really like this list! However, do you like the Ironblasters? I don't care to much for either rules (DMG output) or model.

Not a huge fan of them, however I figure I could use a bit of range to distract and pick off heroes to allow the giants to get in, The alternative for me was to strong arm in a dread maw to teleport in. 

@mohojoe

Yeah but with 6" move +D6 in Herophase for ogres and 8" + D6 Herophase and run on top of that gets to you a pretty nice distance. 320 is enough for 6 ledbelchers OR if you downgrade a Tyrant to a Butcher and spend the left over 20 pts you'd have another 12 Bulls that would most likely give our 10 times the amount of dmg two Ironblasters would. Or run some Grots like @Donal suggested. You could even afford a Thundertusk for that value that shoots d6 mortal wounds on 2+.

Trying to avoid grots, however I have to admit the tyrants ability on 40 of them looks amazing. The thundertusk I think would be the easiest way to go, and I am very tempted. I think I have been trying to find alternatives as they seem like low hanging fruit in the unit choice selection. I like the idea of leadbelchers, never played them though, how efficient are they?

9 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

Trying to avoid grots, however I have to admit the tyrants ability on 40 of them looks amazing. The thundertusk I think would be the easiest way to go, and I am very tempted. I think I have been trying to find alternatives as they seem like low hanging fruit in the unit choice selection. I like the idea of leadbelchers, never played them though, how efficient are they?

The way I play them have won me many games.

I think D3 attacks 12" or D6 attacks if they stand still in the movement phase and no enemy model is within 3" which is fantastic against opposing melee armies. They do 2 attacks in close combat 4+, 3+ with -1 rend dmg 2. They can mop up both larger units and behemoths. Some people consider them expensive but I beg to differ. They are 320pts for 6 models. They are 24 wound unit with average 2 attacks shooting, 2 attack closecombat. 24 attacks/2 = (12/3) x2 = 8 wounds 4 of them being dmg 2. All -1 rend.

I think that's pretty impressive for 320 pts battleline if Gutbuster allegiance. Perhaps not compared to bonesplitter output but pretty great overall. The fact that they can do damage both in combat and out of combat makes a bit difference too for strategic position.

Against melee armies:

You build a line of bulls in front of them and them walk across the battlefield. The enemy then either has to charge the bulls or avoid and flank very well (to which you can meet those flanking units with more bulls. Then be within 12" but 3" away and shoot (in my case) 12 D6 shots into the enemy. When its your turn you retreat with the bulls and charge with the ledbelchers (if anything substantial is left) for that -1 rend 2 attack smack in the face.

Against shooty armies:

I generally spread out all my units much more flank on both sides of the enemy with a units of ledbeclhers and bulls. Thus it's harder for the opposing player to send out shield walls. at this point you just need the charge and you will shoot (on each side in my case) 12 D3 shots and charge with 2 attacks -1 rend.

I don't play many 2k battles, however. Mostly 1500 pts.

This is a bit of a reworked list:

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- Massive Ogre Club
Butcher (140)

Units
Leadbelchers x 6 (320)
- Gutbusters Battleline
Leadbelchers x 3 (160)
- Gutbusters Battleline
Ogors x 6 (240)
- Battleline
Ogors x 6 (240)
- Battleline
Ogors x 6 (240)
- Battleline
Ogors x 3 (120)
- Battleline

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)

I actually really like the look of this list so far. I feel like i need to defend my choice of two gargants, the idea behind them is that for 360 points i get 24 wounds of distraction from my army for things that may otherwise be popping off my heroes. On top of this if they are ignored and manage to reach combat they are still quite killy and have the chance to instant kill a few units on top of that.

What are your views on taking legacy heroes, like skrag for instance. any of them worth it?

1 minute ago, Lysandestolpe said:

@Mohojoe

Oh i support the choice of Aleguzzlers. They are too cool not to play. However, doesn't taking them change your allegiance to Destruction rather than Gutbusters. And if so, your Ledbelchers are in fact not Battleline? Or has that been FAQed?

It would make it destruction, however I have enough ogor bull units for me to still cover it with batteline

Archived